Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holland and barrett whey protein

• 02-11-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey...
    Im already on protein but im just wondering is the holland and barrett whey protein any good? It does be half price regular enough and i might get a tub? Anyone have any experience with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

mayo51 wrote: »
    Hey...
    Im already on protein but im just wondering is the holland and barrett whey protein any good? It does be half price regular enough and i might get a tub? Anyone have any experience with it.

Quality sees okay but horrendously overpriced compared to other companies.

Check out myprotein.ie, Discountsupplements.ie or bulk powders for much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Here Here. Myprotein.ie, great site. Whey, creatine and caffeine cheap as chips, all you'll ever need!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mayo51

double GG wrote: »
    Quality sees okay but horrendously overpriced compared to other companies.

Check out myprotein.ie, Discountsupplements.ie or bulk powders for much cheaper.
    Are they good quality though? Are they reliable to deliver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I find myprotein great. Takes two days to deliver from UK e.g. ship on Monday, receive on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Here Here. Myprotein.ie, great site. Whey, creatine and caffeine cheap as chips, all you'll ever need!

Just to point out, myprotein.ie actually redirects to http://www.hpnutrition.ie/ (sneaky isn't it!)

I think the site you probably mean is http://www.myprotein.com/ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I try to avoid buying ANYTHING from H&B. Overpriced - everything. Even when they might run any of their deceptive deals.

Staff in Ireland are generally friendly, but in the UK I've noticed they're consistently miserable and mostly inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

H&B is usually the one singled out as poor quality, being hard to mix and not a great taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Don't want to hijack thread here but just wondering can you use whey protein if you do running cycling and weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Amprodude wrote: »
    can you use whey protein if you do running cycling and weights?
    Of course you can, its up to you if you think you need it, by no means is it essential, many lifters would get protein from other sources, so you could say they "supplement" their diet with extra chicken.

There is nothing magical about whey, its just another dairy product, its used in several foods you probably eat already, like ice cream and some biscuits. I would drink whey shakes whether I lifted or not, I like the taste, just like I eat cheese & chicken since I like it.

Some people go on about it like its a steroid like drug, I remember a woman in work saying her cousin was "on protein shakes", though some will have other substances in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i bought the Whey from H&B myself. 3 weeks a go to be exact - 40€ for 2. i choosed the natural flavour - or in another words with no flavor added. it taste like a strong milk, but i am trying to be inovative. You can shake it with fresh pure OJ (orange j.) for better taste, but i do use blender for each shake, slices of mango with slim milk + whey form H&B omg... what a taste!! pure power... or just a slim milk after training. r.. :) i had whey from biotech as well. i am not talking about price but i like more the H&B... + just for flavour.

they maybe better priced products but you cant go wrong as far as i am concerned.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Of course you can, its up to you if you think you need it, by no means is it essential, many lifters would get protein from other sources, so you could say they "supplement" their diet with extra chicken.

There is nothing magical about whey, its just another dairy product, its used in several foods you probably eat already, like ice cream and some biscuits. I would drink whey shakes whether I lifted or not, I like the taste, just like I eat cheese & chicken since I like it.

Some people go on about it like its a steroid like drug, I remember a woman in work saying her cousin was "on protein shakes", though some will have other substances in the mix.

yeh... the women in the shop in H&B was saying similar story to me... like his cousing is on shakes and he feels great ... "lol"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Bikerguy wrote: »

yeh... the women in the shop in H&B was saying similar story to me... like his cousing is on shakes and he feels great ...

looking for a bit of advice here. I am wondering should i order some whey protein? I dont want to bulk out or anything but would it give me additional energy before workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,802 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My understanding is energy from carbs and protein for repair of muscles.

So if you're looking for energy, carbs are the way to go.

yeh... the women in the shop in H&B was saying similar story to me... like his cousing is on shakes and he feels great ...

looking for a bit of advice here. I am wondering should i order some whey protein? I dont want to bulk out or anything but would it give me additional energy before workout?

bro i am not pro by any means, but i am 90% positive whey is only like a extra support for better recovery. there are better products for power/energy gain.

I had the same problem as ya and i went in to H&B and i got sum stuff called "iso energy". Its about a tenner for a tub of 425g. I find that it gave me a boost before i played a match. But also instead of eating 3 big meals a day, eat 5-6 small meals a day. That way ur metabolism is kept going and ur not left feeling hungry......... I got this tip from one of my mates: Sweets contain a lot of sugar which gives energy , So bring a pack of sweets with u if ur playin a match or watever u do, and eat 2-4 sweets every 10-15 minutes. I never tried it out but ill pass on what i know.
    Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Sweets contain a lot of sugar which gives energy , So bring a pack of sweets with u if ur playin a match or watever u do, and eat 2-4 sweets every 10-15 minutes. I never tried it out but ill pass on what i know.
    Good luck :)

Better foods than sweets. Low GI carb meal before match, oats, sweet potatoe, quinoa, brown rice etc. is the way to go.

Someone told me that taking protein DURING the gym works better. Can anyone clear this one up for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Someone told me that taking protein DURING the gym works better. Can anyone clear this one up for me?

Talk in the weightlifting world a few years back was that, protein drink during training increased the window of opportuinity for post protein systhesis. Meaning that you absorb more of the whey protein for muscle building as soon as you finish training.

Not sure if this is still the way to go, haven't seen any proof of it though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Not necessary. A fast acting 'whey' shake is by no means necessary. Casein or any other protein would do the same job.

What's most important is getting your protein and other macros for the day wheter it be from 2 meals or 6.

Advertisement