Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭corks finest

odyssey06 wrote: »
    ALDI have a promotion running on their 'Black Angus' steak range - the ones in the black cardboard boxes.
    Runs 12th - 14th February for Valentine's Day.

The 7oz Fillet steaks are down to €8.20.
    8oz Ribeye, striploin and sirloin also included although my local ALDI seemed to be out of the Ribeye already!

These boyos, allegedly the best fillet steaks in the world (2019)!
    https://extra.ie/2019/07/12/business/irish/aldi-irish-fillet-steak-named-best-in-the-world
    Fillet.jpg

Allegedly is right, they're ok, actually nothing to write home about, fancy my Centra ( Crosshaven) steak's much better

ALDI have a promotion running on their 'Black Angus' steak range - the ones in the black cardboard boxes.

8oz Ribeye, striploin and sirloin also included although my local ALDI seemed to be out of the Ribeye already!

https://extra.ie/2019/07/12/business/irish/aldi-irish-fillet-steak-named-best-in-the-world
    Fillet.jpg

Allegedly is right, they're ok, actually nothing to write home about, fancy my Centra ( Crosshaven) steak's much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Would have always recommended Aldi’s steaks
    But the last batch I got wasn’t great
    Hopefully it’s just a one off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is that two 7oz steaks for €8 odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thanks for the heads up. Crazy value and I can 100% confirm their deliciousness. Especially with a bit of butter, rosemary, salt and pepper mixed in the pestle and morter and rubbed on them.

IMG-20200212-201717.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭septictank

Odd? Do you mean price, usually around €11, or weight, 7 instead of 8oz, going metric I guess.
    Instead of 1 lb of meat it's a 400 gram packet.
    There nice but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Central and SuperValu get their steak from musgraves which is supplied by kepak in big vacuum bags and it’s nothing in my special at all, they have a sneaky trick of pouring blood over the steak to give it a pretty colour.
    The aldi ones would be much better imo and even better would be the English market considering you’re in cork you won’t beat it for quality and flavour

* this all depends on the cook/chef of the house too

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 27,745 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, it's a 400g pack with 2 steaks in it. Sorry I wasn't clear in my initial post.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Central and SuperValu get their steak from musgraves which is supplied by kepak in big vacuum bags and it’s nothing in my special at all, they have a sneaky trick of pouring blood over the steak to give it a pretty colour.
    The aldi ones would be much better imo and even better would be the English market considering you’re in cork you won’t beat it for quality and flavour

* this all depends on the cook/chef of the house too

Kepak had a Factory Shop open to the public a few years back, closed now. great value, they supply lots of butchers but O'Mahony meats in Coolock get most of their stuff from them.
    They have a Factory shop there too, good meat at good prices.

septictank wrote: »
    Kepak had a Factory Shop open to the public a few years back, closed now. great value, they supply lots of butchers but O'Mahony meats in Coolock get most of their stuff from them.
    They have a Factory shop there too, good meat at good prices.

I didn’t say the meat was bad I said it was nothing special in comparison with the aldi offer
    I buy full fillets from them myself on a regular basis for €35-€40 and you can’t beat if for value
    Kepak supply a huge % of shops and restaurants in Ireland and nearly all the fast food in the country is from them too, they own big als brand for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Yes, it's a 400g pack with 2 steaks in it. Sorry I wasn't clear in my initial post.

That's serious value.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The Nal wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Crazy value and I can 100% confirm their deliciousness. Especially with a bit of butter, rosemary, salt and pepper mixed in the pestle and morter and rubbed on them.

IMG-20200212-201717.jpg

Feck it that's alive bud

Feck it that's alive bud

I didn't let it rest for enough time (was starving) but it settled down after a few minutes. Still fairly rare though yeah.

Looked like this when it settled

IMG-20200212-202453.jpg

Shows the importance of resting I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your going to Aldi check out the rib steak burgers along with the broche burger buns they do. You'll make an excellent burger at home with those two.

Anyone doing Tomohalks or cowboy steaks for Valentine's this year wouldn't mind picking up some when they go on sale next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dunno if they're still in Aldi ,but I got some dry aged rib eyes ( about 36 days ) , which were wow ,
    They weren't cheap cheap .. about 11 euros for 2 steaks , but they were great , as in really great ...
    I overcooked them a bit ( wanted medium rare ended up with medium well ) and it was still one of the nicest steaks I ever had ... Ever ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone doing Tomohalks or cowboy steaks for Valentine's this year wouldn't mind picking up some when they go on sale next week.

Havent seen cowboys anywhere since Super Value did them at the start of January. Would love a heads up if they come back.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Havent seen cowboys anywhere since Super Value did them at the start of January. Would love a heads up if they come back.

FX Buckleys do them. Most butchers will cut one for you. Its just a rib from a rib roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MmmChocolate

Fwiw - this might sound a bit obvious but after trying various steaks from various shops and various offers and deals etc (and indeed not-on-offer branded 'finest' meat) for years, I recently started buying steak over the counter in butchers' shops again and the jump in quality was unreal - not to mention you're supporting a local small business. You won't save much - although a lot of butchers will do their own offers too - but in terms of bang for your buck, I highly recommend giving your local butcher a go again if you've drifted away for the convenience of the one stop shop. I was even able to get the nice man to cut a fresh sirloin for me for me cos none of the ones on display were thick enough for me - I like a good rare steak.

Just my two cents' worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

septictank wrote: »
    Odd? Do you mean price, usually around €11, or weight, 7 instead of 8oz, going metric I guess.
    the term "odd" is like saying "something", when you cannot remember the exact price

"how much was that jacket?"
    "fifty euro odd" or "fifty euro something" mean the same thing. In this case 8euro odd is €8.20

rubadub wrote: »
    the term "odd" is like saying "something", when you cannot remember the exact price

"how much was that jacket?"
    "fifty euro odd" or "fifty euro something" mean the same thing. In this case 8euro odd is €8.20[/QUOTE

See that now alright, just thought there was an , missing.
    As "Is that odd"
    Either way, it's just wrong, 7oz me arse, just another way to make them smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fwiw - this might sound a bit obvious but after trying various steaks from various shops and various offers and deals etc (and indeed not-on-offer branded 'finest' meat) for years, I recently started buying steak over the counter in butchers' shops again and the jump in quality was unreal - not to mention you're supporting a local small business. You won't save much - although a lot of butchers will do their own offers too - but in terms of bang for your buck, I highly recommend giving your local butcher a go again if you've drifted away for the convenience of the one stop shop. I was even able to get the nice man to cut a fresh sirloin for me for me cos none of the ones on display were thick enough for me - I like a good rare steak.

Just my two cents' worth.

I think it can depend on the butcher, my local guy is the only butcher for a 15 mile radius and so is pretty expensive vis a vis Aldi/Supervalue. He charged me 27 euro for 2 kilos of beef shin there a while back when Ive often got it in other butchers for 9-10 per kilo. We've got the same problem with the local pharmacy, they're the only one in town so their prices are off the scale, paid 75 for a script one day and was so pissed off about it rang Boots to price it up- 49 euro :eek:

As a result I only use the local butcher if Im really stuck as I cant justify prices 30% higher than elsewhere. If his prices were reasonable Id shop there a lot more often. In general I get most meat from Aldi but then use the Village Butcher in Ranelagh once a month for an order of stuff that the supermarkets doesnt have like beef cheeks, shin, chuck steak, boned chicken thighs, etc. They also do delicious free range pork chops. They're great to deal with, you can email your order in and its ready waiting for pick up on my way home.

Agree with you that the quality of the meat is usually a few notches up in butchers than the supermarkets. But my experience is some are great value for money while others are a bit of a rip imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭nu_90

If your going to Aldi check out the rib steak burgers along with the broche burger buns they do. You'll make an excellent burger at home with those two.

Your bang on about those two , delicious. Can't make a burger in our house without those buns anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MmmChocolate

nu_90 wrote: »
    Your bang on about those two , delicious. Can't make a burger in our house without those buns anymore.

Same...there's no going back from those brioche buns!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If your passing Mc Donald's don't forget to pick up some sauce for your burgers before it's all gone...I only managed to get one sachet yesterday but it'll do 4 burgers for 50 cent https://www.google.ie/amp/s/extra.ie/2020/01/22/news/irish-news/mcdonalds-big-mac-special-sauce/amp

Once McDonalds ****e gets into this thread it’s time to unfollow I think

• Registered Users Posts: 17,860 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

nu_90 wrote: »

Same...there's no going back from those brioche buns!

Why did they have to get rid of the sesame seed variety though? Those were perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Agreed, I'm lucky to have a fabulous local family run butcher (in Bray) and it's a resource worth its weight in gold. Top quality produce, reasonable prices, and expert first class service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

No fillets in Aldi today - loads of all the other cuts though. Sad face.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭garfie1d

Second that, These burgers and buns are a weekly staple for us. Grab some American cheese too (the only reason I buy the stuff!)

The Marks & Spencer’s burger sauce is just like McDonald’s sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,860 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone got a pic of the burgers? Are they frozen or fresh (chilled?)

Advertisement