Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

55” 4K Smart Tv €350 Argos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I'm far from an expert on TVs but bought a similar Hitachi TV from Argos recently and had to bring it back within a couple of weeks as it was awful. Kept turning itself off etc....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dont do it OP. You can get actual LGs for a similar price in currys. They wont be that size, but they'd have better features such as HDR.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert on TVs but bought a similar Hitachi TV from Argos recently and had to bring it back within a couple of weeks as it was awful. Kept turning itself off etc....

Maybe you just got a bad Apple? I know nothing about tv’s either I was looking on hot auk dealz they all say it’s a good deal

Dont do it OP. You can get actual LGs for a similar price in currys. They wont be that size, but they'd have better features such as HDR.

My boyfriend would only be watching it for tv only would you really not recommend it plus I can’t really afford that much to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Interesting that it’s using the Web OS operating system.

I’d definitely spend the bit extra on an LG though, you’ll get a 49” for €389 in Curry’s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

If you want a 55" and don't have a huge budget, this is a much better option, plus it's backed by a 6 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

tedpan wrote: »
    If you want a 55" and don't have a huge budget, this is a much better option, plus it's backed by a 6 year warranty.

This... /\

Thank you I’ll give them a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

For comparison purposes: a 55" almost-best TV like LG OLED C8 can be had for less than e1000. And this keeps dropping as newer models come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

srsly78 wrote: »
    For comparison purposes: a 55" almost-best TV like LG OLED C8 can be had for less than e1000. And this keeps dropping as newer models come out.

Yaay, only 3 times the budget :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Like others have said, spent 400 and get an LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Put a post up on the Richersounds forum, brilliant folks with non biased customer service advice, best price and excellent after service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

MAJJ wrote: »
    Put a post up on the Richersounds forum, brilliant folks with non biased customer service advice, best price and excellent after service.

They're just trying to sell you TVs tbh, I wouldn't just go on their recommendations alone.
    You really should be doing your own research first, avforums etc.

They're probably the best to buy from though but not always cheapest either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

srsly78 wrote: »

Genuine question, where would you get that for that price? It's €1300-1500 everyone I look.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Flashdan

I'm waiting for this to come back in stock.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3444852/Trail/searchtext%3E50+PLUS+INCH+TVS.htm

Only 380 for 58" 4K

If it does not come back in I would go for :

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55um7000plc-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10199314-pdt.html

LG 55" 4K

One thing to think about is will it fit in your car? these boxes are massive. Currys at least will deliver into your House / Apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,553 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aye but that's ones collection only. I always wondered why the hisenses are like that. There's no delivery option on then. Makes no sense ....

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

listermint wrote: »
    Aye but that's ones collection only. I always wondered why the hisenses are like that. There's no delivery option on then. Makes no sense ....

Perhaps Argos have exclusive Hisense rights for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Bought a smaller Hitachi smart/dvd tv in argos last year. the remote control can be unresponsive at times and generally not great for user when compared with a Samsung or lg

Also the sound is very disappointing.
    so i would imagine these issues are indicative of a so called budget television.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Homelander wrote: »
    Genuine question, where would you get that for that price? It's €1300-1500 everyone I look.

Black Friday had some deals. Also could maybe get a store display model or refurb (hopefully no oled burn). Now that the C10 is out there will be more deals on C8.

And if you maybe were self-employed and needed it for work you could buy it ex-vat. Very important in work to have those colours you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

The price in the link came up in Stg. I then looked at it in Euros and thought I was being ripped off.

I then checked on XE.com and I was wrong. Sterling has recovered substantially recently and its now E1.19 to the Euro.

Richer Sounds aren't making anything o the exchange rate. I'll keep them in mind when I'm next buying a TV, or other electrical product for that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Murt10 wrote: »
    The price in the link came up in Stg. I then looked at it in Euros and thought I was being ripped off.

I then checked on XE.com and I was wrong. Sterling has recovered substantially recently and its now E1.19 to the Euro.

Richer Sounds aren't making anything o the exchange rate. I'll keep them in mind when I'm next buying a TV, or other electrical product for that matter

They tell you on their website that you can pay in either sterling or euro so I don't think they were ever making anything on the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭irishchris

Wouldn't touch an LG. Had two and both lasted less than 2 years. One of them was three days past the warranty and contacted them to be told sorry it's just bad luck but out of warranty. I say go for this set op if that's the one you fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

irishchris wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch an LG. Had two and both lasted less than 2 years. One of them was three days past the warranty and contacted them to be told sorry it's just bad luck but out of warranty. I say go for this set op if that's the one you fancy

Funny that, my friend had the exact same thing happened with an LG, literally 3 days outside of warranty...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

irishchris wrote: »

you would have had a decent case in small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

sweetie wrote: »
    you would have had a decent case in small claims court

How? It was out of warranty. Whether by a day, a month or a year, it's out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

bailey99 wrote: »
    How? It was out of warranty. Whether by a day, a month or a year, it's out of warranty.

Small claims court it not only about warranty, you have right that products are fit for purpose
    The amount you pay for a product and the reasonable expectations as to how long it lasts , I believe are part of the sale of goods act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I would get this TV which includes HDR and Firestick built in

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/jvc-lt-49cf890-fire-tv-edition-49-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-amazon-alexa-10195288-pdt.html

You can also watch prime video and Netflix easy on it... Also download apps using the fire TV etc.

I got it a month ago great TV for the price

I ended up buying this instead for my boyfriend of Valentine’s Day

https://www.harveynorman.ie/tvs-headphones/hd-tvs/all-tvs/panasonic-58-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-smart-tv--tx58gx700b.html

€200 over my budget I hope it’s a good tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 utilitarian

But this is €70 more expensive. Is there shipping on top of that? Can you pick it up from a store or warehouse?

Advertisement