Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finding a New Life

• 09-04-2020 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

During this new advice for staying at home I've realised ...
    - Home Schooling is good
    - Connections with spouse and children is good
    - if the 2km restriction is cancelled, we are even better
    - we don't need to buy "stuff"

I always had a bit of "anti capitalism" ... moved from city to a rural village when I was single. People asking what I was doing ... that was 2002. I stopped believing in "economic growth" and pretend wealth for the last 20 years. I got caught out in the last economic crash in Ireland/Europe, so this time I am prepared.

I am starting to like this lockdown thing.

Comments

Yes I am realising how little of my stuff I need now and also how little I need to buy. I am saving a lot of money as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I miss my lunch meet-ups with my wife.
    I miss heading down "wesht along" for walks and seafood dinners.
    In five years time, I will remember this lockdown sentimentally. Now, I will make the best of it and tell the stories in the future.
    Experiences are important in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Eh maybe post this in AH you might get a better response.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Scoondal wrote: »
    I miss my lunch meet-ups with my wife.
    I miss heading down "wesht along" for walks and seafood dinners.
    In five years time, I will remember this lockdown sentimentally. Now, I will make the best of it and tell the stories in the future.
    Experiences are important in life.

What stories? You'll not have any stories to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Sam Hain wrote: »
    What stories? You'll not have any stories to tell.

Why not? I'll have loads of stories about the current situation. I noticed a lot since 'the lockdown'.. especially when driving and cycling

• Advertisement

This situation suits some personality types.
    I love the fact that we only spend money on necessities now. We do walking, schoolwork and experiments with our children. I am painting a bedroom and doing the garden. My wife is working away at her job.
    Yes, I am learning that a simple life is also rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

The simple life indeed! Unfortunately the simple life does not fit well with the status quo of western capitalism:to always increase GDP: To maintain status and happiness :Buy bigger, buy more, buy quicker and buy shinier. :D:D
    Taking a walk down the local lane , appreciating nature and having a chat with the neighbour will not raise GDP!

lalababa wrote: »
    The simple life indeed! Unfortunately the simple life does not fit well with the status quo of western capitalism:to always increase GDP: To maintain status and happiness :Buy bigger, buy more, buy quicker and buy shinier. :D:D
    Taking a walk down the local lane , appreciating nature and having a chat with the neighbour will not raise GDP!

I totally agree. But if I said that I'd be banned again !

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dermatrov

I agree. I have found I am more active, have discovered I like walking........ and I have had time to spring clean the house, dump a lot of crap, and save a few quid on bills. Next stop.....I will relearn how to cook :)
    - Home Schooling is good

I always had a bit of "anti capitalism" ... moved from city to a rural village when I was single. People asking what I was doing ... that was 2002. I stopped believing in "economic growth" and pretend wealth for the last 20 years. I got caught out in the last economic crash in Ireland/Europe, so this time I am prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Buying and repairing rather than buying new is something ive discovered i like. I like buying, repairing and reselling even more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I think some people with start spending more on experiences too now people had time to reconnect with family and kids rather than just pure materialism for the sake of it.
    Ive been lucky enough to have stayed working from home..no makeup, no commuting, getting the last wear out of old clothes that i probably would have thrown out by now. Have reverted back to simple things like reading and we set ourselves a task of cooking something new for dinner every weekend. Also less food waste overall.
    Saving a nice bit the last few month...going to use some of it to pay a lump sum of the mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

- Home Schooling is good

But W eeD is more expensive this days :(

fAzI wrote: »

I don't do illegal drugs.
    I changed my life 20 years ago because I didn't like cities or city people.
    You can do whatever you want to make your life better. I was able to make my life better and I will continue to improve my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

fAzI wrote: »

Everyone in the thread is learning to cook, fix things etc you need to start gardening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

Everyone in the thread is learning to cook, fix things etc you need to start gardening :D

Can you help? Hahaha

I think I've done enough. It's time to retire and never again pay tax to the comedy act in Dail Eireann.

Advertisement