Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prsi class S for rental income and unemployment

• 27-07-2020 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi my wife and I are landlords. I work full time and my wife is unemployed at the moment. This year we have earned over €5,000 each from rent. I will continue to pay class j prsi as normal. As my wife is gone over the €5,000 she would be liable to pay the minimum prsi contribution of €500 class s. When rent is your only income you pay class s.

My question is will she have to pay the €500 as she is currently getting jobseekers benefit and therefore the rent is not her only income.

If someone on jobseekers benefit is considered an insured employee i.e. get prsi credits then I think she won't have to pay the €500 this year.
    As she will have the full 52 prsi from benefit and signing on.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭RCSATELLITES

Does anybody know the answer???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Email Revenue. Probably best get the facts from them directly. They are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If she has over 5k in side income, then I'm very surprised that she's on jobseekers benefit. She should be on jobseekers allowance, which is means tested.

Say nothing and focus on getting her a job before welfare notice their error.

You pay class j prsi & work full-time? Are you over 66....

Employees in the following employments will be classed as PRSI Class J and will pay the rate in the table below;

People with reckonable pay of less than €38 per week (from allemployments), normally. However, a small number of employees are insurable at Class J regardless of how much they earn, such as employees over current pensionable age of 66 years, or people in subsidiary employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Jsb is not liable for prsi. She is getting credited contributions, but she is not paying prsi on the income.

Either way, she still has to pay class S prsi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

spurious wrote: »
    Email Revenue. Probably best get the facts from them directly. They are very helpful.

They are - but as they only act as PRSI collectors for the Dept of Social Welfare, they may not be of much help here.

I'd suggest contacting the SCOPE section of DEASP.

(FWIW, I reckon that she'll be liable to pay 4% of the value of the rental income, rather than just the €500 minimum Class S contribution.)

If she has over 5k in side income, then I'm very surprised that she's on jobseekers benefit. She should be on jobseekers allowance, which is means tested.

Yes means tested so I earn too much for her to get anything.

Augeo wrote: »
    You pay class j prsi & work full-time? Are you over 66....

Employees in the following employments will be classed as PRSI Class J and will pay the rate in the table below;

People with reckonable pay of less than €38 per week (from allemployments), normally. However, a small number of employees are insurable at Class J regardless of how much they earn, such as employees over current pensionable age of 66 years, or people in subsidiary employment.

Sorry class k, for the rental income. Hit the wrong button.

They are - but as they only act as PRSI collectors for the Dept of Social Welfare, they may not be of much help here.

I'd suggest contacting the SCOPE section of DEASP.

(FWIW, I reckon that she'll be liable to pay 4% of the value of the rental income, rather than just the €500 minimum Class S contribution.)

She defo has to pay the 4% but in this instance it's less than the minimum hence my question. You pay the minimum when it's your only income and was wondering if jobseekers benefit counts as another income as such.

antix80 wrote: »
    Jsb is not liable for prsi. She is getting credited contributions, but she is not paying prsi on the income.

Either way, she still has to pay class S prsi.

Yes she does have to pay, but is it 4% or the €500 minimum and I don't pay class S so not all landlords pay class S. I pay class k as have paye job aswell.

• Advertisement

There is no error, she worked and paid her credits and she is entitled to get the jobseekers benefit. She is now seeking a job as getting rent would not be considered a full time job. The job seekers benefit is not means tested so you can have a million in the bank and are still entitled to it if you are unemployed and seeking employment. Also please stick to the question and if you don't know the answer please refrain from making uneducated comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

She defo has to pay the 4% but in this instance it's less than the minimum hence my question. You pay the minimum when it's your only income and was wondering if jobseekers benefit counts as another income as such.

SCOPE is your only man!

Scope Section,Gandon House, Amiens Street , Dublin
    Email:scope@welfare.ie
    Phone number:01 6732585

SCOPE is your only man!

Scope Section,Gandon House, Amiens Street , Dublin
    Email:scope@welfare.ie
    Phone number:01 6732585

Thank you I will give them a call today.

Advertisement