Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registration of classic vehicles after Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    That's my point. Their site is wrong. Very wrong as things stand, unless a deal with a backstop is done at the last minute.

And yes, the value of cars on UK plates on this island that were destined to be sold in the Republic, will likely drop like a brick as I expected. Interesting that you have seen it happen already...

I think they fact they can't tell VRT offices that it'll be either Option A or Option B (or, indeed, Option C) is shocking. The no of outcomes is small, even a bloody excel sheet would only take 10 minutes.

Would it be that much to ask...............oh, wait.......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, I noticed an awful lot of stock being piled into garage forecourts around me recently, and I'd say all those small traders in NI who have stuff from GB (sic) but with an eye to RoI as the outlet must surely be wondering what/if they have a bunch of unsaleable-to-RoI cars outside the door in 2 weeks time.............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I dont think its fair to be giving out about either the VRT or Revenue as neither knows what is going to happen until it happens.

However, if cars in the North could be tariff and VAT free if we go up there and buy, is it not the case that 'the North' will have to pay VAT and tariffs on UK cars coming in as they are possibly still in the EU customs area?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

w124man wrote: »
    I dont think its fair to be giving out about either the VRT or Revenue as neither knows what is going to happen until it happens.

However, if cars in the North could be tariff and VAT free if we go up there and buy, is it not the case that 'the North' will have to pay VAT and tariffs on UK cars coming in as they are possibly still in the EU customs area?

i think that's already been said. I don't know how reliable that is, but NI dealers will have to pay VAT on the whole value of a GB car rather than just on the profit margin as now, eroding the benefit of buying "up North"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It has to do with the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Goods exported from Britain to NI that are not 'at risk' of being re exported to the EU will not have to pay tariffs.
    Goods that may be deemed to be 'at risk' will pay tariffs and then refunded once proven they were not re exported to the EU.
    I would say second hand cars would be 'at risk' and so tariffs will have to be paid between GB and NI.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/brexit-deal-northern-ireland-protocol

Customs, movement of goods

For Northern Ireland–Republic of Ireland trade, the EU’s Union Customs Code (customs rules) apply and there would be no tariffs or restrictions.

Goods moving directly from Great Britain to Northern Ireland won’t be subject to a tariff unless the good is “at risk” of being moved into the EU afterwards. Likewise, goods from third countries entering Northern Ireland will be subject to the UK tariff, unless they are at risk of being moved to the EU.

For goods deemed “at risk”, the EU tariff will be applied. If the UK tariff is lower, and those goods are proved to have stayed in Northern Ireland, the UK can reimburse traders.

The Joint Committee will establish further conditions under which goods coming into Northern Ireland from Great Britain would have to pay the EU tariff.

No duties will be paid on personal baggage and goods of “negligible value”, which will be defined by the Joint Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Every single car exported from Britain to NI after 01/01/2021 in a no deal brexit is at risk of being moved into the EU (Ireland) afterwards.

I think it's safe to say that cars will not be exempt unless the implementation of this is completely retarded / not enforced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I enquired of Revenue for clarification of vehicles imported before Christmas, but no possible VRT inspection being available, of what the VRT/import situation will be afterwards, but still awaiting a response.

They've literally had 4 years to have a plan for this, there's no excuse for them not having a hard Brexit plan. If they don't, they're no better than the clowns on the other side of the Irish Sea.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I find it odd that the government/Revenue never looked into getting an exemption for 2nd hand cars. The VRT on them is a majpr contribution to the Irish budget. Surely they're not going to just forget about this over night. I read before that it's worth just over a billion euro a year for second hand cars.
    92,508 used cars were imported into Ireland in 2018
    49.2% of these vehicles were between three and five years old
    4.8% of these vehicles were over 10 years old
    141,931 fewer vehicles were bought and registered in 2017 than the previous year
    8,131 vehicles were imported into Ireland in January 2019
    The January 2019 figure is an increase of 1.3% in January 2018
    Sales of new cars bought in Ireland has decreased in 2019 by 4.6%

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

galwaytt wrote: »
    I enquired of Revenue for clarification of vehicles imported before Christmas, but no possible VRT inspection being available, of what the VRT/import situation will be afterwards, but still awaiting a response.

Don't hold your breath. I made an enquiry at the end of October. Got a reply after 6 days which just had a Word doc attached, which had links to how to register a vehicle (currently).

The key is an invoice dated.

In my case I probably have the invoice for one (dated 1991 :) )

I'll post some photos up soon. Only way I can think of time-stamping that they were in State before year end.

Having said that, it might be down to the old hand-written receipt being accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

This is dispiriting. I live near enough to the main MG dealer in Tyrone, and I've had my eye on the compact MG3 which isn't currently available in the Republic. And I won't be in a position to buy any new/newish car for a few months yet. Oh well, will have to scour the 1200 page withdrawal agreement to find out the devil in the detail.

This is dispiriting. I live near enough to the main MG dealer in Tyrone, and I've had my eye on the compact MG3 which isn't currently available in the Republic. And I won't be in a position to buy any new/newish car for a few months yet. Oh well, will have to scour the 1200 page withdrawal agreement to find out the devil in the detail.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the classic cars forum :)

Welcome to boards anyway. And there are now several official MG dealers in the Republic, like Frank Keane. You should be able to buy a brand new MG3 from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the classic cars forum :)

Welcome to boards anyway. And there are now several official MG dealers in the Republic, like Frank Keane. You should be able to buy a brand new MG3 from them.

Thanks! Noted. Its the default boards on signup thing threw me off the right track.
    :)

KevRossi wrote: »
    I find it odd that the government/Revenue never looked into getting an exemption for 2nd hand cars. The VRT on them is a majpr contribution to the Irish budget.

Did you not notice that the government are actively trying to discourage the importation of secondhand cars and encouraging the purchase of those ridiculous battery cars. Fines for not reaching the Co2 targets are expensive too.

Did you not notice that the government are actively trying to discourage the importation of secondhand cars and encouraging the purchase of those ridiculous battery cars. Fines for not reaching the Co2 targets are expensive too.

LOL that's exactly why. We need to lower our emissions so import EVs, not cancerous diesels, from the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

I believe CO2 targets and fines are only based on new vehicle sales.

Tae laidir wrote: »
    I believe CO2 targets and fines are only based on new vehicle sales.

I think Ireland's Co2 targets are based on a lot more than just new vehicle sales.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ok, less of the modern stuff and more about 20+ stuff.

Its possible that if you bring a car in from the UK via the North, you will have to pay VAT and duty as the North are considered in the EU as the 'border' is down the Irish sea. It seems as though if the value is over £135 then VAT and duty apply.

I'm not 100% sure though but time will tell

Its possible that if you bring a car in from the UK via the North, you will have to pay VAT and duty as the North are considered in the EU as the 'border' is down the Irish sea. It seems as though if the value is over £135 then VAT and duty apply.

I'm not 100% sure though but time will tell

If you can't prove it was in the North pre 2021 there will be 21% VAT charged, no duty though, that's gone by the board in the "deal"

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-imported-from-gb-and-ni.aspx

Isambard wrote: »
    If you can't prove it was in the North pre 2021 there will be 21% VAT charged, no duty though, that's gone by the board in the "deal"

And if the car was in the North by 31/12/2020, then there is no VAT if you import it down here?

And if the car was in the North by 31/12/2020, then there is no VAT if you import it down here?

Looks that way

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    Looks that way

Damn. I should have brought 100 Teslas into the north last month :D

i reckon you still can, see the link! well maybe not you, but a NI Resident or business.

You can, but the aim would be to sell them down here for a profit. That no longer works as 21% VAT is due on them (plus a bit of VRT) when you bring them in.

Damn. I should have brought 100 Teslas into the north last month :D

Why would anyone want to do that?

From the Revenue site on NI vehicles. Not as straightforward as one would hope.

Proof will be in the form of:

A copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland
    or A T2L document issued by HMRC. The vehicle must be identifiable from the supporting documentation.

You should not purchase a vehicle from Northern Ireland with either:

a Great Britain registration
    or
    which had previously been registered in Great Britain where this documentation is not available.

Even for cars "imported" into Northern Ireland last year?

You can, but the aim would be to sell them down here for a profit. That no longer works as 21% VAT is due on them (plus a bit of VRT) when you bring them in.

you need to read the link. A qualifying person or organisation can sell a car into the Republic tax free as I read it provided they have all their paperwork "ducks in a row"

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Sorry for the repeat question. But I want to reassure myself that I am correct. Looking to "purchase" a 30 year old car from Northern Ireland. Car just turns 30 on the 7th of January 2021. The car was only registered in northern Ireland by the gentlemen in July 2020.
    Am I reading this correct that this car will not aquire any VAT, so should just be the €200 vrt.

Just looking for some reassurance before I start any import process. Thanks for any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

UK will need to weaken their currency for people to trade with them. Yet they seem to want it to be stronger, weird. Everyone wants a weak currency, China love it . If one euro only got you 50p then who the fck would buy anything in uk.

UK will need to weaken their currency for people to trade with them. Yet they seem to want it to be stronger, weird. Everyone wants a weak currency, China love it . If one euro only got you 50p then who the fck would buy anything in uk.

It's not that simple. A weak currency makes stuff you need to import expensive. Of course China loves it, but that's because they export a lot more than they import. That is not the case for Britain, which imports a lot more than it exports. For them a strong Sterling is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A parity, or something close would ease the pain of the VAT though .

Advertisement