Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registration of classic vehicles after Brexit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

w124man wrote: »
    The classics will still be bought from the UK. Even if there is a last minute deal we will still pay duty and VAT as those are the WTO rules. If the car is 30 years old you will still pay €200 VRT. The VRT will not change because of this.

Depending on what your April '91 car is, bring it in now.

if there's a last minute deal, we'll be operating under that deal, not WTO rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

Still hopeful of a deal. It will really limit our options after January 2021 if it doesn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ccmp

Is it possible to use the date of manufacture rather than first registration date when registering the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

ccmp wrote: »
    Is it possible to use the date of manufacture rather than first registration date when registering the car.

VRT only cares about the date of first registration afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

What's to stop someone providing a receipt for their newly acquired uk classic showing a value of say £500 for a nice E30 M3 and just paying Import duty 10% and VAT on the £550 . How are they going to prove what you paid for a certain car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Car99 wrote: »
    What's to stop someone providing a receipt for their newly acquired uk classic showing a value of say £500 for a nice E30 M3 and just paying Import duty 10% and VAT on the £550 . How are they going to prove what you paid for a certain car.

Your car will stay in customs whilst they initiate proceedings for customs fraud.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Ah lad! Where have you been? A value will be give to you. Its called the OMSP

That’s just for the VRT.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

OMSP has nothing to with vat and import duty.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Your car will stay in customs whilst they initiate proceedings for customs fraud.

They dont investigate you for customs fraud .

Presenting an item for customs clearance with a sales invoice for what you paid for an item is hardly illegal.

They can query the amount of the value declared and adjust it upwards if they want.

• Advertisement

Presenting an item for customs clearance with a sales invoice for what you paid for an item is hardly illegal.

They can query the amount of the value declared and adjust it upwards if they want.

But you were giving an example of an invoice for £500 for an M3. That invoice would be fake and thus fraud.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    But you were giving an example of an invoice for £500 for an M3. That invoice would be fake and thus fraud.

It's all hypothetical but say I bought it from my cousin for £500 18 years ago that's not fraud. I'm not saying it right or wrong I'm just wondering how revenue would deal with such cases

It's all hypothetical but say I bought it from my cousin for £500 18 years ago that's not fraud. I'm not saying it right or wrong I'm just wondering how revenue would deal with such cases

You would have proof of ownership for the last 18 years so wouldn’t be an issue.

No I'd say they wouldn't investigate , they'd just give you a bill and hold the car until paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

They assume a value , and as stated they have a full table of omsp to apply,
    Anybody over a certain age around here knows full well how customs operate , they shoot first and ask questions later ,so unless you paperwork is bulletproof, they’ll screw you . They’ll also sometimes screw you even if your paperwork is bulletproof, just because they can . You just don’t want to get involved with this agency. They’re very highly paid and backed by the state to Raise revenue even if they’re wrong .

It’s really only Eu law has kept them in check and they often had to be brought to European court to comply with easing of. Customs rates and tariffs , so when they are off the leash , be careful.

OMSP has nothing to with vat and import duty.

Have a wee look at the revenue site and you will see that they say they will use this method should import duty and VAT be charged on cars coming in from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

given that there is ( or certainly was ) a fairly health trade in JDM cars arriving here - where the OMSP and shipping costs etc would be an even bigger unknown - surely importing a car from UK should be a bit less of a risk and more straight forward no ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    given that there is ( or certainly was ) a fairly health trade in JDM cars arriving here - where the OMSP and shipping costs etc would be an even bigger unknown - surely importing a car from UK should be a bit less of a risk and more straight forward no ?

But the purchase price for certain cars in japan can be far lower than a similar car in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dublin7runner

Hi Guys,

If you import a vehicle from NI after brexit, I believe by reading the revenue website you dont have to pay VAT or DUTY is this true? ( If its not a new vehicle )

Only the VRT has to be paid.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

If you import a vehicle from NI after brexit, I believe by reading the revenue website you dont have to pay VAT or DUTY is this true? ( If its not a new vehicle )

Thanks

i don't think any agreement has yet been made, deadline seems to be wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hi Guys,

Thanks
    Someone recently posted a link to the Revenue site where that was stated alright.

Edit: found the link

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

so you'll be able to reg a car in NI and then bring it down ? Is there a way to know its NI reg other than the address on the V5 ?
    As far as I know NI cars brought over from UK to NI currently dont have to be re-reg'd do they ?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    so you'll be able to reg a car in NI and then bring it down ? Is there a way to know its NI reg other than the address on the V5 ?
    As far as I know NI cars brought over from UK to NI currently dont have to be re-reg'd do they ?

Its the details on the V5 that they use. If it has an NI address then it may be okay but no one knows for sure yet

Its the details on the V5 that they use. If it has an NI address then it may be okay but no one knows for sure yet

absolutely, and it supposes there is a deal done.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hold on lads, the revenue site is running ahead of itself like I said a few weeks ago. There is NO deal done yet on the backstop at all. As things stand any car coming into Ireland from the UK (and that includes Northern Ireland) from next month is subject to import duty and VAT (and VRT) as per international trading agreements

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If VAT is applied, then I wonder if you can claim back on VAT owed from UK Revenue once the car is registered here.

I've done this in Germany a few times exporting trucks to Africa, takes about 2 months and a bit of paperwork. Would be handy if it applied to UK-Ireland as well.

I suppose if the NI exemption does happen then there will be some dealers in NI taking cars from the mainland, changing the address and selling them on down here. Or there will be a system where you find a car from a UK dealer, bring it to NI, register it there under some companies name and then 'purchase' it from them. Could be an opening there for a business if a deal is done on the backstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

A deal will happen but it could be next year...

KevRossi wrote: »
    I suppose if the NI exemption does happen then there will be some dealers in NI taking cars from the mainland, changing the address and selling them on down here. Or there will be a system where you find a car from a UK dealer, bring it to NI, register it there under some companies name and then 'purchase' it from them.

Exactly. The modern equivalent of the butter smuggling across the border. Will be a lovely source of income for the paramilitaries and other criminals :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    Hold on lads, the revenue site is running ahead of itself like I said a few weeks ago. There is NO deal done yet on the backstop at all. As things stand any car coming into Ireland from the UK (and that includes Northern Ireland) from next month is subject to import duty and VAT (and VRT) as per international trading agreements

Not according to the Revenue site today. And it says VAT will only be for new cars.

It says you may (assume "will") have to pay Customs Duty for cars from Great Britain. NI is not in Great Britain. Which is why it's referred to as 'Great Britain & Northern Ireland'. So the arrangements for NI may be unique.

So the Revenue statement here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/brexit-for-individuals/importing-a-vehicle-from-great-britain-gb-or-northern-ireland.aspx stating Customs won't apply to NI imports.

So, I rang the VRT Inspection line just now and asked:

For a vehicle imported into the State before the deadline of 31st December, and where a booking is made online before 31st December, but no VRT inspection is possible (because she just confirmed there is no availability- in Galway at least) until 2nd week of January. I asked what is the story on the VRT/Customs amount to be paid. The import having taken place, and the car in the State, and the Declaration being made then..........

The lady told me they don't know, as Revenue hasn't told them, and they literally have no idea.

There's a car in NI I've been watching, and I'm curious how those NI traders are viewing all their potential stock becoming unsaleable to RoI customers due to the impending deadline. To wit, the car dropped £1200 since yesterday......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not according to the Revenue site today. And it says VAT will only be for new cars.

That's my point. Their site is wrong. Very wrong as things stand, unless a deal with a backstop is done at the last minute.

And yes, the value of cars on UK plates on this island that were destined to be sold in the Republic, will likely drop like a brick as I expected. Interesting that you have seen it happen already...

Advertisement