Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭con747

If I had that motor in my shed it would take 5 minutes to post pictures, either put the pictures up or stop posting about the car.

MOD NOTE: Well you don't. The OP can post pictures / info about their car in their own time. If you've something useful to contribute please do, but if you haven't, scroll on past.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

10/10. Well done OP.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jesus lads dramatise much?

Give the OP a chance. I'm sure he has other things going on in his life rather than upload pictures to satisfy a few posters on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 greencoat

con747 wrote: »
    If I had that motor in my shed it would take 5 minutes to post pictures, either put the pictures up or stop posting about the car.

"yes sir right away"...pmsl.mellow out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

It's not in his shed. It's in his mother's I think. And buried down the back.

• Advertisement

• OP's got a life. How inconsiderate of him.

But seriously OP get clicky clicky :D

Maybe he got some PMs or offers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Gone very quiet around here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Car has disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

Non existent

• Car has disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

Non existent

Had to search his posting history... WHAT!? The options there. :o

Anyway, think a track from side B of A COLLECTION OF BEATLES OLDIES might explain all this. :)

• Advertisement

Lads please stop posting. Everytime I get an e mail about this thread I get excited thinking it's the pics we were promised last Tuesday between 6pm and midnight:pac:

If I had to guess I'd say the op is uncomfortable just going out and taking pictures of the car in his mother's shed as it's possible an inheritance issue with the passing of his father and there's a bit of trouble with siblings making it not so easy. I do believe the car exists. I may be way off but that's just my thought on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Custard test?

jozi wrote: »
    Custard test?

Who has a tin of custard these days? Maybe a bisto test? Everyone has bisto right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Had to search his posting history... WHAT!? The options there. :o

Anyway, think a track from side B of A COLLECTION OF BEATLES OLDIES might explain all this. :)

Bad Boy?
    of Paperback Writer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

As mentioned the duty will have been paid otherwise he would never have been able to drive it away. Clearly it wasnt ever taxed, and therefore unregistered, but it wont be liable for VRT if duty was paid.

I had 2 similar situations in recent years, one car came from the US pre 1993 and duties etc. were all.paid but never taxed or registered. A letter from Revenue confirmed all was in order and nothing was owed. We were told a standard VRT appointment was all that was rewuired to get a ZV number however I sold the car on eBay so never followed through.

Secind car was imported in 1993, VRTd but never taxed and stored until 2016. It wasnt on the system but a main dealer letter and one from commissioner of oaths got us the paperwork and on the road.

As mentioned Gowans would be a good starting point. It may not be easy.

It cannot be registered as a new car since it does not comply with current EU regulations. I know of several brand new cars that were MY17 and unsold into 2018 and 2019 and were listed to be scrapped purely because of this. They could never be registered. I heard last week 2 were sent back to the factory, 1 for display and the other to be dismantled for training. The fate of the 3rd may be similar but is in the air at the moment.

Good luck to the OP either way and sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

jozi wrote: »
    Custard test?

To prove something. Its a pistonheads thing if they don't believe the op, they must take a picture of whatever they are questioning along with a tin of birds custard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I believe the OP. He mentioned the 504 in a post over five years ago. Like most of us he's probably busy. Give him a chance I say.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89832977

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Wasn't there an unregistered Renault 19 on donedeal a few years ago and posted on this forum. A black hatchback from circa 1995 that was never driven and was still unregistered ~20 years later - anyone know what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Wasn't there an unregistered Renault 19 on donedeal a few years ago and posted on this forum. A black hatchback from circa 1995 that was never driven and was still unregistered ~20 years later - anyone know what happened to it?
    Yep there was. They were looking for a lot of money for it. No idea where it went in the end. You have to be careful buying these as most cars like it were donations by the manufacturers to technical colleges. They had no chassis numbers and could never be put on the road. Someone recently got stung very badly after paying big money for a Clio V6 in Belgium and bring it back here only to realise it could never be registered or used here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

MercMad wrote: »
    As mentioned the duty will have been paid otherwise he would never have been able to drive it away. Clearly it wasnt ever taxed, and therefore unregistered, but it wont be liable for VRT if duty was paid.

I had 2 similar situations in recent years, one car came from the US pre 1993 and duties etc. were all.paid but never taxed or registered. A letter from Revenue confirmed all was in order and nothing was owed. We were told a standard VRT appointment was all that was rewuired to get a ZV number however I sold the car on eBay so never followed through.

Secind car was imported in 1993, VRTd but never taxed and stored until 2016. It wasnt on the system but a main dealer letter and one from commissioner of oaths got us the paperwork and on the road.

As mentioned Gowans would be a good starting point. It may not be easy.

It cannot be registered as a new car since it does not comply with current EU regulations. I know of several brand new cars that were MY17 and unsold into 2018 and 2019 and were listed to be scrapped purely because of this. They could never be registered. I heard last week 2 were sent back to the factory, 1 for display and the other to be dismantled for training. The fate of the 3rd may be similar but is in the air at the moment.

Good luck to the OP either way and sorry for your loss.

Both the Cars you mention were previously registered (albeit in a different jurisdiction).
    As the OP's Car was never registered this leaves him in a different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Lorelai Old-fashioned Mango

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Both the Cars you mention were previously registered (albeit in a different jurisdiction).
    As the OP's Car was never registered this leaves him in a different situation.

You misunderstand the regime at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

????

Dymo wrote: »
    To prove something. Its a pistonheads thing if they don't believe the op, they must take a picture of whatever they are questioning along with a tin of birds custard

I know what it is, that's why I suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

not just a Pistonheads thing btw...

Isambard wrote: »
    not just a Pistonheads thing btw...

I think it originated in pistonheads. Chris Harris talked about it on his collecting cars podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

MercMad wrote: »

I wonder if the guy who paid €17M for the un-registered McLaren F1 knew what he was getting into !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

There is a new unregistered Mini 25 in a garage in Listowel Co Kerry right now. And another lad in Kerry has a 70s Scirocco with delivery mileage on it.
    And speaking of 504s, I was in a yard one time in the Tipperary that had 36 of them, as well as a a few 604s, parked in an open barn. All appeared to have driven in there but were not used with years. One of my more surreal car related days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Any updates OP? I'm checking in three times a day at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Well played OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Just checking if this thread was about a car or someone's auld fella!

As they say on other forums, 'pics or it didn't happen'.

Advertisement