Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback Someone nicked my sig.

• 10-04-2004 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Hi i had picture and some text as my sig. Today My sig was removed by someone unknown because it broke the rules. So I checked the guidelines which said that if using an image you can not use text as well and the imaged must be smaller than 12k in size and 125 X 300 pixels. Assuming the text was the problem I deleted the text and modified the Image so that it met the above criteria. Non my ability to use picture Sig appears to have been have been removed . Why?

I don't know why or who was responsible for removing my Sig as i have not received any pm,s etc saying it was causing problems so I don't know who to contact to thrash out the problem with, so here seems to be the appropriate place.

Is this another instance Of Big Brother Boards or just plain victimisation ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Hi i had picture and some text as my sig. Today My sig was removed by someone unknown because it broke the rules. So I checked the guidelines which said that if using an image you can not use text as well and the imaged must be smaller than 12k in size and 125 X 300 pixels. Assuming the text was the problem I deleted the text and modified the Image so that it met the above criteria.

Good work.
    Non my ability to use picture Sig appears to have been have been removed . Why?

You are mistaken or confused.
    I don't know why or who was responsible for removing my Sig as i have not received any pm,s etc saying it was causing problems so I don't know who to contact to thrash out the problem with, so here seems to be the appropriate place.

The thread I linked to is generally where it happens, but here will do I guess.
    Is this another instance Of Big Brother Boards or just plain victimisation ?

I do so love these little chats :rolleyes:

Hey dude somone nicked my sig!

Since this was an image a few seconds ago I can only assume that you're still wrestling with your control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hey Its a miracle . Its Back

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its not a miracle.

Actually it is.... its a miracle you survive day-to-day encounters with our fast paced society.

We dont have the option to remove the ability to put images in sig from individual people. Indeed we cant even remove it from *groups* of people.

Sherlock Holmes once said that if you removed the impossible, whatever was left, no matter how improbable, must be the answer. I guess that in this case we must conclude that, however unlikely nay *inconceivable* it might be, perhaps you simply FUCKED UP the linkage.

No, its a lot simpler to believe that the admins are victimising you in some sordid power game. You simply know too much and your torch of truth burns too brightly for us to bear.

Personally, I blame Ecksor.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I wish someone would remove your sig.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DeVore
    Its not a miracle.
    Sherlock Holmes once said that if you removed the impossible, whatever was left, no matter how improbable, must be the answer. I guess that in this case we must conclude that, however unlikely nay *inconceivable* it might be, perhaps you simply FUCKED UP the linkage.

No, its a lot simpler to believe that the admins are victimising you in some sordid power game. You simply know too much and your torch of truth burns too brightly for us to bear.

Personally, I blame Ecksor.

DeV.

Ah don't be like that Dev. Maybe the server was down and as my Sig was altered earlier this week by the Phantom SIG changer that appears to lurk on the soccer forum .I just assumed I was being vitimised, as only Manchester United Supporters are.

I would blame Ecksor too after all he mormally Fukes up the Sigs.

Anyway whatever Its back now , Crisis Averted.

P.S. sorry to read about you accident , I hope all mends soon.

P.P.S Any chance of unbanning a few of the United Supportes from the Soccer forum as all the other nasty supporters dont understand me.
    ;)

Makeveli Why?

It looks shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Hey Muppet, Ill be back on Tuesday!

Originally posted by Makaveli
    It looks shit.

I,m Hurt , do you know how long it took me to get it to look that sh1t ?. I think your's is very apt, and it looks cool.

Good Draupn I,m looking forward to the spelling lessons already.;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why you jumped to the conclusion that we were vicitimising you I dont know. Why would the server screw up *your* sig alone?

The image does look kinda gay to be honest but its your choice. Personally I dont think the admins or anyone would mind if you put size=1 text under an image thats the right size. Usually we only bother editing sigs if the image is too big or there is a lot of text and an image.

I'm not unbanning anyone from Soccer, I dont know why that forum gives us such grief but I'm not getting involved, I could care less about Man U, Chelsea or any of them but if it causes much more grief, I'll just shut it down.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hahahah, just turned on sigs to check out the new one as I thought it couldn't be any worse than those terrible looking caricatures you had there, but you have out-faggoted yourself with the new one Muppet.

And nice job on the 'I need a 3 billion power microscope to read this' text :rolleyes:
    I dont know why that forum gives us such grief but I'm not getting involved, I could care less about Man U, Chelsea or any of them but if it causes much more grief, I'll just shut it down.

Just ban all Man U supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i suggest you close the soccer forum for 2 weeks, as a test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Why you jumped to the conclusion that we were vicitimising you I dont know. Why would the server screw up *your* sig alone?

I read it like that at first, but he might've been talking about the server that was hosting his image.

My Sig image is not on Boards server. It definitely was not a linkage problem as it was working earlier today so the only answer is that the server it was on went down'
    The image does look kinda gay to be honest but its your choice. Personally I don't think the admins or anyone would mind if you put size=1 text under an image thats the right size. Usually we only bother editing Sig's if the image is too big or there is a lot of text and an image. [/B]

Thanks Dev , I appreciate that but The Sig I had that was removed twice was that image with the 3 lines of text in the current image underneath it in size 1.

I did not get any PMs to say it was causing problems yet on Thursday last someone edited the image link out of my profile. This morning the whole Sig was removed and the standard "your Sig breaks the rules" was put in its place, again I received no other communication as to what the problem was. I have had the same Sig setup for quite a while now and recently I changed the Image to the current one always making sure the images fit within the size guidelines. I appreciate you people have more to do with your time than chase people up on their Sig's but I would like to know what the problem is as I would like to but it back as it was.

I'm not unbanning anyone from Soccer, I don't know why that forum gives us such grief but I'm not getting involved, I could care less about Man U, Chelsea or any of them but if it causes much more grief, I'll just shut it down.

DeV. [/B]

TBH I said that half and in jest its probably just coincidence that a few United supporters have been banned from it lately. I take it you are not a big soccer fan so maybe the interaction between those on that forum are a bit alien to you. I think for the most part it is good natured banter which i admit occasionally goes OTT. Thats just the nature of most soccer supporters and it would be a shame if it were to close.

Seems as we are on the feedback suggestions as you have broached the subject I think as United Supporters get most the the Blame for the hassle there it may help to have one as a Mod. There are a couple of them there that would be suitable material and it would get rid of the tribal element when dealing with problems. Thats just an observation .

Thanks for the reply

The Muppet

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'm not unbanning anyone from Soccer, I dont know why that forum gives us such grief but I'm not getting involved, I could care less about Man U, Chelsea or any of them but if it causes much more grief, I'll just shut it down.

DeV.

ah go on! please do!

(you know you want to!)

Originally posted by agent smith
    ah go on! please do!

(you know you want to!)

After all it is easter.

Why add a mod who supports Utd?
    The mods all act impartially when making decisions.

The people banned from Soccer are mostly spas. Who cares who they support, a spa is a spa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The image does look kinda gay to be honest but its your choice.

A topless man makes a signature gay ?

I appreciate you people have more to do with your time than chase people up on their Sig's but I would like to know what the problem is as I would like to but it back as it was.

I thought you had read the sig rules. Either way, I see you've put it back to what it was already.

I hate to say this Muppet but given that you have come up a few times on Admin radars, it may be that you are getting less slack then might otherwise be extended. *shrug*. Blind eyes are turned generally but zero tolerance can also be applied. Again, it wouldnt bother me I'll ask the other admins if they know anything about it. Mods dont have the access rights to alter sigs so it cant be connected to the Soccer forum.

Anyway, as regards that forum, I dont think everyone sees it as "friendly banter" as a lot of people have told me they have stopped reading it because of the incessant in-fighting and tribalism. I'm about one complaint from laying some serious smack down but given that Gandie does a pretty good job of that all on his own I've left it be for the moment.

I'm sure glad you gave us the benefit of the doubt regarding the server... its nice to know you didnt jump to a conclusion though :p

DeV.

• Advertisement

Oh, I did edit the signature to begin with, I thought that was understood.

It is the sort of signature that won't automatically get noticed, but if someone complains (as happened here) and it is breaking the rules, then that'll usually sway it for me.

The aforementioned appearing on the radar and the fact that 'keano was sent home' is most likely linked to some soccer flamewar didn't help much mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

The image does look kinda gay to be honest but its your choice.
    May I ask
    • if you think that an image of shirtless men implies homosexual content?
    • if you think that homosexual comment is something that should not be in people's sigs?
    • if you are aware that the use of the word "gay" in a perjorative or dismissive sense is offensive to a significant percentage (minority or not) of the membership of Boards.ie?
    • if you are aware that what you have said here has caused offence?
    Yoda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Well someone certainly has their knickers in a twist :p

jk :)

I hate to say this Muppet but given that you have come up a few times on Admin radars, it may be that you are getting less slack then might otherwise be extended. *shrug*. Blind eyes are turned generally but zero tolerance can also be applied. Again, it wouldnt bother me I'll ask the other admins if they know anything about it. Mods dont have the access rights to alter sigs so it cant be connected to the Soccer forum.

Fair comment Dev and thanks for you intervention. I take it my current sig is ok so.

Anyway, as regards that forum, I dont think everyone sees it as "friendly banter" as a lot of people have told me they have stopped reading it because of the incessant in-fighting and tribalism. I'm about one complaint from laying some serious smack down but given that Gandie does a pretty good job of that all on his own I've left it be for the moment.[/B]

I can see that point it does get a bit annoying at times but then at other time it can be very civil. I suppose different people have different cut off points .

I'm sure glad you gave us the benefit of the doubt regarding the server... its nice to know you didnt jump to a conclusion though :p

DeV. [/B]
    I must be mellowing.:)

Thanks Again

The Muppet

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Fair comment Dev and thanks for you intervention. I take it my current sig is ok so.

Why did you put it back without waiting for an answer to that question?

Yoda... who said I was using it in a pejorative way? I think you are tilting at windmills to be honest!

Perhaps I should have spelt it "Ghey" as I wasnt actually thinking about any homosexual content in it. Though now that you mention it, it does kinda look like that too :p:p

DeV.

Originally posted by Yoda
    May I ask
    • if you think that an image of shirtless men implies homosexual content?
    • if you think that homosexual comment is something that should not be in people's sigs?
    • if you are aware that the use of the word "gay" in a perjorative or dismissive sense is offensive to a significant percentage (minority or not) of the membership of Boards.ie?
    • if you are aware that what you have said here has caused offence?
    Yoda

Unclench.

Originally posted by ecksor
    Why did you put it back without waiting for an answer to that question?

Sorry I assumed it would be ok as Dev said he didn,t see a problem with it and I didn,t know who had edited it. If you want me to edit it awaiting a final decision I will.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Unclench.
    Be a member of a disrespected minority and say that.

• Advertisement

Yoda... who said I was using it in a pejorative way? I think you are tilting at windmills to be honest!
    Please choose another adjective which explains better your intent. The dictionary meanings of the word "gay" are given below:

The image does look kinda light-hearted and carefree to be honest but its your choice.

The image does look kinda homosexual to be honest but its your choice.

The image does look kinda brightly-coloured to be honest but its your choice.

The image does look kinda showy to be honest but its your choice.

The image does look kinda brilliant to be honest but its your choice.

Which one of these did you mean? Or did you mean something else? I'd be interested to know what you meant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement