Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimp2Warrior??

• 15-03-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

HI folks,

Has anyone got any experience of Wimp2Warrior?

Would you recommend it?

Its coming to a gym near me and I am considering applying, I have a tester session on the 27th with a start date of April 1st.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on it!

Cheers

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Whelo79 on here did it and put some updates along the way in this thread. Could be worth a read for yourself.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057205815

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

frag420 wrote: »
    HI folks,

Has anyone got any experience of Wimp2Warrior?

Would you recommend it?

Its coming to a gym near me and I am considering applying, I have a tester session on the 27th with a start date of April 1st.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on it!

Cheers

frAg

Well recommended on my part. It takes a lot of commitment but it is worth it. It's expensive in comparison to joining your local MMA gym but if you are completely new to combat sports and are looking for a safe and comfortable way to get into it and challenge yourself it's a great way to go.

What's the location by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,923 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd highly recommend it. Great experience and very different to just joining a local gym and easing into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Well recommended on my part. It takes a lot of commitment but it is worth it. It's expensive in comparison to joining your local MMA gym but if you are completely new to combat sports and are looking for a safe and comfortable way to get into it and challenge yourself it's a great way to go.

What's the location by the way?

I am in London, its starting in Croydon on April 1st.

I have a few questions if you don't mind Whelo...

My level of fitness is not great and my diet is similar to that of a three year old sugar addict, I'm 6'4 and about 16 stone. Can you tell me a bit about the nutrition side of things. Will I need to be stocking up on supplements? I am fussy around some foods, mainly veg. Do they give you a meal plan to follow? If so, how strict is it?

I have worked out that to get there for 6am I will need to be up and out of bed at 5am and out the door by 5:15am. Its a 35 min cycle to the gym. Following a session I will be going to work, that will be another 45-55 mins on the bike. Would I be able to cycle for about an hour after the sessions, esp at the start when my body will be getting used to it. My fear is that I may gas out (Ive got the lingo part sorted haha) so to speak on the cycle to work after an intense session!?

My social life revolves around having a few drinks, usually on the weekends but the odd post work drink during the week. How did you find W2W affecting your social life? I have a few things coming up this year that will mean missing one or two sessions, Slane and Download being two weekends away that would usually be booze filled weekends. Did you find that your mindset changed around drinking? Did you find it easier to moderate drinking? Not saying you're an alcoholic or anything, Im not, but I can easily put away 6-8 pints on a good night which I know would be detrimental to any type of training, the will power is weak on this one for me!! I would like to be able to enjoy a couple of beers and then be able to head home instead of staying out and filling up on beer!

Anyways that's all I have for now, apologies its a lot haha!! I am going to try to convince a mate of mine here to do it with me, I think it would be best to have a buddy to help encourage each other!

They'll give you a meal plan, or dietary guidence. It's up to you how strictly you adhere to it. Not eating your carrots won't affect the fight outcome.
    Cutting out drink is probably a smart idea. Especially if you know your opponent is tea-total. But again, that's your choice. I didn't cut it out entirely, but drank very little.
    16 stone is nothing. There was a guy who started at 20 stone/132kg. I seen him fight at welterweight (77kg) at the end of it.
    As for timing. I was up at 5.15, training from 5:45 until 7:30. Then headed to work. It started at 4 days, but very quickly ramped to 5 days plus my own extra at weekends

• Advertisement

My level of fitness is not great and my diet is similar to that of a three year old sugar addict, I'm 6'4 and about 16 stone. Can you tell me a bit about the nutrition side of things. Will I need to be stocking up on supplements? I am fussy around some foods, mainly veg. Do they give you a meal plan to follow? If so, how strict is it?

It's aimed exactly at people like yourself. The average working lad/lady who might never otherwise get involved in this type of sport/training. They won't go super strict on your diet, they will give you tips and suggestions but ultimately they leave it up to you to manage your diet. You will probably be given an idea of the weight class they see you fighting at in the finale and it will be your goal to be on weight come fight night.

I have worked out that to get there for 6am I will need to be up and out of bed at 5am and out the door by 5:15am. Its a 35 min cycle to the gym. Following a session I will be going to work, that will be another 45-55 mins on the bike. Would I be able to cycle for about an hour after the sessions, esp at the start when my body will be getting used to it. My fear is that I may gas out (Ive got the lingo part sorted haha) so to speak on the cycle to work after an intense session!?

Each gyms sessions/classes are different all around the world so I can't say for sure how tired you will be after each one. The only really heavily intense session we done every week was the strength and conditioning session on a Friday. Other classes such as BJJ, Thai Boxing, MMA were more technical based with light drills/sparring, particularly for the first few weeks.

My social life revolves around having a few drinks, usually on the weekends but the odd post work drink during the week. How did you find W2W affecting your social life? I have a few things coming up this year that will mean missing one or two sessions, Slane and Download being two weekends away that would usually be booze filled weekends. Did you find that your mindset changed around drinking? Did you find it easier to moderate drinking? Not saying you're an alcoholic or anything, Im not, but I can easily put away 6-8 pints on a good night which I know would be detrimental to any type of training, the will power is weak on this one for me!! I would like to be able to enjoy a couple of beers and then be able to head home instead of staying out and filling up on beer!

I would have been the same as yourself. I started W2W this week 3 years ago and I was away to Denmark with the lads for Paddy's Weekend (week 1), so not an ideal start. I also went away to the European Championships in France the week before we were doing heavy sparring to determine or finale match ups. Arrived back at 9pm on a Wednesday night and sparred 4 lads at 6am the next morning!!

Most people find this commitment to training really motivates them to make small changes to their lifestyle. Healthier food choices, curbing alcohol intake and just overall getting into a better routine. You don't need to become a monk by any means.

You'll have a blast mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I did it, it's not cheap but it's an amazing experience. It takes a lot to get up and train at 6am 5 days a week for 6 months.
    It'll test you mentally as much as physically. You will learn great skills, have fun and make some friends.

The production is of a very high level for the Cork and Dublin finales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I didn't do it myself but it was run in the gym I train at, saw many sessions and people in W2W also trained in some of the beginner MMA classes I coach.

My 2 cents. Positives : Its definitely a great experience, and what could be a once in a lifetime experience to get in and have an MMA fight against someone more or less your level. Many guys and who I have seen do W2W have stayed on and trained, or become very involved in the club. It's generally a great lifestyle change and Impressive the changes people can make.

Negatives: Maybe not too much of a negative , but the training is intense and its many many early mornings which I can see wanes on people after the first few weeks, and can clash with other life commitments.

Perhaps too much time on fitness? From what I have seen there is almost as much time spent on fitness as there is actual practical skills of how to fight. I know if it was my student I would ask them to get as much practical time as possible rather than throwing newbies into gruelling circuit work outs.

Overall its a good program and a great chance to join with other newbies , learn new skill and make lasting friendships.

I didn't do it myself but it was run in the gym I train at, saw many sessions and people in W2W also trained in some of the beginner MMA classes I coach.

My 2 cents. Positives : Its definitely a great experience, and what could be a once in a lifetime experience to get in and have an MMA fight against someone more or less your level. Many guys and who I have seen do W2W have stayed on and trained, or become very involved in the club. It's generally a great lifestyle change and Impressive the changes people can make.

Negatives: Maybe not too much of a negative , but the training is intense and its many many early mornings which I can see wanes on people after the first few weeks, and can clash with other life commitments.

Perhaps too much time on fitness? From what I have seen there is almost as much time spent on fitness as there is actual practical skills of how to fight. I know if it was my student I would ask them to get as much practical time as possible rather than throwing newbies into gruelling circuit work outs.

Overall its a good program and a great chance to join with other newbies , learn new skill and make lasting friendships.

There was a high dropout rate in my season, think we started with 30 odd and about half that made it to the cage. It's meant to be hard and testing, the 6am is all part of the novelty.

Definitely in our gym there was a greater emphasis on grappling over striking or fitness, but I think it depends on the needs/goals of the group. If there was alot of weight to be lost there would be more fitness.

OP you also have to do a medical and MRI so add that into the cost. It's about €1500 all in.

rob316 wrote: »
    There was a high dropout rate in my season, think we started with 30 odd and about half that made it to the cage. It's meant to be hard and testing, the 6am is all part of the novelty.

Definitely in our gym there was a greater emphasis on grappling over striking or fitness, but I think it depends on the needs/goals of the group. If there was alot of weight to be lost there would be more fitness.

OP you also have to do a medical and MRI so add that into the cost. It's about €1500 all in.

It was the opposite in mine, we started with 50 I think and we only lost about 4 or 5. Two lads dropped out after they were told they wouldn't be getting matched up for a fight at the end.

Our weekly routine was:

Monday: BJJ
    Tuesday: Movement/Yoga
    Wednesday: Muay Thai
    Thursday: MMA
    Friday: Strength & Conditioning

A good balance but you really only pick up the basics of BJJ with one weekly session, I would have liked more.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »

Also he is UK based so won't have to do the MRI.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭srfc d16

Whelo79 wrote: »
    It was the opposite in mine, we started with 50 I think and we only lost about 4 or 5. Two lads dropped out after they were told they wouldn't be getting matched up for a fight at the end.

Why were they not matched up? Had they completed all the training up to that point?

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Why were they not matched up? Had they completed all the training up to that point?

There is no guarantee made that everyone gets a fight although generally where does. A decision was made that these two lads were not at the required standard to compete safely.

We had one fight cancelled on the day as a lads blood pressure was too high during the pre fight medical. Retested an hour later and it was still too high so the fight was scrapped.

Just thought would drop in with an update...

I completed the "trial" last night. Its was fooking tough, I was well and truly beat when I finished and very sore today!

Having doubts if I would be able to complete this as I have given up on things before when they got too tough or I got too lazy, Military fitness/boot camps and that sort of thing!

Anyways I will wait to see if I am accepted and take it from there.

Thanks for all the motivational words so far, much appreciated!

frAg

Well done on trying out. Getting started is half the battle the other half is constancy.

The pain will be worst this time because you are not used to it. But its not like that all the time. You will certainly feel stiff after future sessions, (work on mobility) but it wont be as bad. ;)

Just thought would drop in with an update...

I completed the "trial" last night. Its was fooking tough, I was well and truly beat when I finished and very sore today!

Having doubts if I would be able to complete this as I have given up on things before when they got too tough or I got too lazy, Military fitness/boot camps and that sort of thing!

Anyways I will wait to see if I am accepted and take it from there.

Thanks for all the motivational words so far, much appreciated!

frAg

The"trial" is generally the hardest part of the whole experience. They want to see the people who are willing to push themselves and not give up, they want to weed out the quitters, they want to see who is cruising, who has a bad attitude, who is unfit but willing to work hard.

There might be some few tough s&c sessions throughout the experience but none will come close to the trial for physical exhaustion.

The trial is tough. Trying to train like that 5 days a week would be a quick way to get injured.

Just realising that this time next week I will be finishing my first W2W session!

I’m slightly bricking it now, loads of prep to do this week so I have no excuse, failing to prepare is preparing to fail and all that!

Did any of you guys eat before or after a morning session? Il assume a banana and some coffee would be ok 45 mins before a training session?

Just realising that this time next week I will be finishing my first W2W session!

I’m slightly bricking it now, loads of prep to do this week so I have no excuse, failing to prepare is preparing to fail and all that!

Did any of you guys eat before or after a morning session? Il assume a banana and some coffee would be ok 45 mins before a training session?

Yeah banana is my go too at that time before training

At that time I'd have nothing and eat after. I'd also try to stay in bed as long as possible.
    Literally Alarm goes, get dressed, go to training

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    At that time I'd have nothing and eat after. I'd also try to stay in bed as long as possible.
    Literally Alarm goes, get dressed, go to training

Same. Id occasionally have a protein shake on the drive to the gym but I'd never eat any solid food.

You'll enjoy it mate, don't worry yourself about it. Go, work hard and have fun.

I used to go to early morning sparring before work quite regularly. I found empty stomach is best, might have some black coffee or a bit of prework out before I arrive if I was feeling particularly tired.

But last think you want is undigested food in your belly before intense exercise. I have said bye-bye to a few meals eating too close to training.

Would have a nice recovery breakfast or shake afterwards.

Firstly apologies for the delay in coming back, I meant to update sooner but forgot all about it.

Anyways I am at the halfway mark. Noticing an increase in fitness but not as much as I would like and I have not lost too much weight. The reason being that on week three I got a chest contusion, we were doing some light shoulder tap style sparring and one of the guys got a bit ahead of himself, landed a punch on my upper chest and that was me out of action for 5 weeks. I was just about able to do the cardio and some of the S&C stuff but I could not do any grappling, BJJ, shrimping or stands, some pad work was ok. Was damn sore but I made sure I was going in regardless except for a few occasions when I was away with work or back home.

Anyways today was first day doing grappling/sparring and as luck would have it I crashed my chest down on one guys knee, thankfully not as bad as the first time but I couldn't continue this morn. Il be back tomorrow and I have no other commitments between now and the fight in Sep so no excuses not to go in every day.

Need to sort out the diet too!

Lastly, can anyone recommend a good pair of MMA shorts but with one caveat, there can't be a drawstring, I can very sensitive scar tissue on my tale bone and a drawstring aggravates it when I am on my back as it digs in. Can one get velcro shorts without a string?

Hope to be a bit more frequent with the updates too...not long lef!!

frAg

Most shorts I've owned come with a string and velcro. Should work fine with the string removed

You can go for a pair of vale tudo style shorts. No draw strings or velcro. Chanel the inner Wanderlei Silva

You can go for a pair of vale tudo style shorts. No draw strings or velcro. Chanel the inner Wanderlei Silva

Yeah I aint there yet...will consider for the future though haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone looking to start in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Esse85 wrote: »

My OH is in for Feb, well tryouts in Jan etc. I've done it and fought since, amazing program, there are a few that badmouth the program in Ireland but that's their issue with SBG. If you're thinking about it then do it, you won't be sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Esse85 wrote: »

Did you sign up in the end? Tryouts are looming, actually they are the weekend of McG v Cowboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Soups123

I’ve signed up for this, try out on the 18th. Looking forward to it but a complete novice

Advertisement