Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Comments

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Hi all, have the original machine from the post, hit trouble this morning, while I was making a coffee about 3/4 way through the grinding process, it started making a noise like it the grinder was jammed/stuck/clogged.
    Anybody have this problem, and any solutions to fix ðŸ‘

open it up and have a look.

it's not going to fix itself!

see youtube video links above.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

glasso wrote: »
    open it up and have a look.

it's not going to fix itself!

see youtube video links above.

Hi thanks, I hadnt seen the above links, perfect I got into the grinder and took it out and managed to separate it enough to remove a fairly hard round ball that wasnt coffee bean nor stone, but was obviously jamming the grinder, all back together, good clean and just enjoying my first brew, Many thanks again for the help.
    One last question, where should the dial on the grinder be set. 1 to 7?

• gazzaman22 wrote: »

question that only years in a buddhist temple can allow you to find the true answer to

"look within yourself"

gazzaman22 wrote: »
    Hi thanks, I hadnt seen the above links, perfect I got into the grinder and took it out and managed to separate it enough to remove a fairly hard round ball that wasnt coffee bean nor stone, but was obviously jamming the grinder, all back together, good clean and just enjoying my first brew, Many thanks again for the help.

I have it about 2.5

remember to only change the grinder knob when it's actually grinding coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I love my coffee from this but I’m overdoing it on caffeine a bit. Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-ground decaf that I could use in the middle when I don’t want more caffeine. I’m currently using PS coffee roasters for my main beans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I love my coffee from this but I’m overdoing it on caffeine a bit. Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-ground decaf that I could use in the middle when I don’t want more caffeine. I’m currently using PS coffee roasters for my main beans

ive the same problem and am currently mixing my coffee order 1 part decaf 2 parts beans from ponaire

https://www.ponaire.ie/product/decaffeinated-coffee/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

dashoonage wrote: »
    ive the same problem and am currently mixing my coffee order 1 part decaf 2 parts beans from ponaire

https://www.ponaire.ie/product/decaffeinated-coffee/

Oh that’s not a bad plan at all thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

How many cups is over doing it may I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Any good deals on beans similar to the discountcoffee one last year, I ran out recently. thanks

Esse85 wrote: »
    How many cups is over doing it may I ask?

I'd say that 4 cups is fine personally....

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/08/24/health-benefits-coffee-how-much-drink-and-there-risks/1639899001/#:~:text=Multiple%20studies%20have%20found%20that,Dr.

Caffeine affects people differently - some are more sensitive to it than others

Less chance of affecting your sleep if you consume mainly earlier in the day -> caffeine has a half-life of about 7 hours

Another thing is that Robusta coffee beans contain twice as much caffeine on average as Arabica beans

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Any good deals on beans similar to the discountcoffee one last year, I ran out recently. thanks

I've tried these - they work pretty well in the De'Longhi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X11WZJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not going to be roasted last week amazing but decent and a fraction of the price.

compares favourably to say Lavazza Rossa but cheaper.

(smoother than Lavazza Rossa - medium roast -> 3.5 / 5 intensity I would put it at)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

Recently, the ground coffee beans in mine are looking a bit damp when the are done. So when I open it to empty the machine, some of the ground beans are still clinging to the inside of it meaning its way harder to clean.

I have changed to a different brand recently, could that have made a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

event wrote: »
    Recently, the ground coffee beans in mine are looking a bit damp when the are done. So when I open it to empty the machine, some of the ground beans are still clinging to the inside of it meaning its way harder to clean.

I have changed to a different brand recently, could that have made a difference?

that's always been the case with mine, there's sometimes a bit of mould on the grounds at the bottom of the container. How would they not be damp, they have steam forced through them in the machine. I just rinse the container under a running tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah I know on the steam, just it was never like that before is all

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just wanted to check on the model people have.
    The one linked in the original post is the Magnifica ESAM 4200, it doesn't seem to be available new any longer but loads on the warehouse, is it still a good choice or is a newer/different model a better option.

I'm fully aware of the different warehouse conditions and associated risks/bargains

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭captainshamroc

mik_da_man wrote: »
    The one linked in the original post is the Magnifica ESAM 4200, it doesn't seem to be available new any longer but loads on the warehouse, is it still a good choice or is a newer/different model a better option.

I'm fully aware of the different warehouse conditions and associated risks/bargains

Got one new from Amazon for the wife about a month ago @~£;230. I think Amazon just run out of them every now and then and they are back in stock soon enough. If you don't want to chance a warehouse one I'd say wait a bit and they will have them back in. I was waiting a few weeks to pick it up at the lower price so you might have to wait a bit to combine availability at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It's still available new from DeLonghi. I had it in my basket today about to buy when the price went from £250 to £330.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I have very hard water. Am I throwing money away by getting an expensive machine like this?

Kettles barely last 6 months in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I have very hard water. Am I throwing money away by getting an expensive machine like this?

I'm in Meath and would be in a hard water area too and haven't had any issues with it so far. I've no idea how the machine looks on the inside, but it still functions fine after 5/6 years.
    I've gone through a few kettles in the years I've had the machine.
    I fill a brita jug from the tap, and use the brita jug to fill kettle and the coffee machine.
    I descale the coffee machine when it notifies me to do so.

• I'm in Meath and would be in a hard water area too and haven't had any issues with it so far. I've no idea how the machine looks on the inside, but it still functions fine after 5/6 years.
    I've gone through a few kettles in the years I've had the machine.
    I fill a brita jug from the tap, and use the brita jug to fill kettle and the coffee machine.

^ word for word the same for me

filter water only into the machine and ive only had to descale every six months just for maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

mik_da_man wrote: »

It was available yesterday at about £249, I almost got one but wanted to read some more about it first, then it was gone when I went back today.

I was looking at the warehouse ones too, but I think they are actually used, not just opened and returned, so I'm thinking of waiting a week or two to see if they come back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

stevenmu wrote: »
    It was available yesterday at about £249, I almost got one but wanted to read some more about it first, then it was gone when I went back today.

I was looking at the warehouse ones too, but I think they are actually used, not just opened and returned, so I'm thinking of waiting a week or two to see if they come back in.

They had 1 in stock for 251 an hour or so ago but sold fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

stevenmu wrote: »

Used like new from warehouse will be just box damage
    Worth checking the european Amazon sites too they can be a lot cheaper sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭franglan

Hi All, my Delonghi isin't warming up, it's slowly got worse and worse but is now stuck doing what it's doing in below video constantly. Has anyone else had this issue? It's doing it through every phase now as previously it would engage the cycle after 5 then 10 then 20 seconds. Has anyone else experienced this or have any solutions? I've reset back switch and main power switch, hasn't made any difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqh83pH5-Lw

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can actually put a water filter in the water tank of most (if not all) Delonghi machines. Would do the same job as the Brita:

https://www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/coffee-maker-accessories/waterfilter

Also don't forget to regularly use descaler on the machine, in particular if living ion a hard water area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

bk wrote: »
    You can actually put a water filter in the water tank of most (if not all) Delonghi machines. Would do the same job as the Brita:

https://www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/coffee-maker-accessories/waterfilter

Also don't forget to regularly use descaler on the machine, in particular if living ion a hard water area.

+1 on this.

The machine setup runs through a water hardness setting and this then sets up an interval descaling alert via a flashing panel light.

I live in quite a hard water area, my interval via the machine at 6/7 shots per day is @4weeks.

My machine is at least 6 years old at this and most definitely could be as old as 8 and is still running fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Had a scare there yesterday morning..

Machine complained that grounds were full but grounds bin wouldn’t come out along with drip tray etc.

Then noticed the infuser unit was much lower and wouldn’t move. Tried yanking and pulling infuser unit but it was really jammed.

Long story short - had to plug out plug, leave it 30 seconds and the plug it back in and let it adjust itself back into place.

Turns out it’s pretty common..

Basq wrote: »
    Had a scare there yesterday morning..

Machine complained that grounds were full but grounds bin wouldn’t come out along with drip tray etc.

Then noticed the infuser unit was much lower and wouldn’t move. Tried yanking and pulling infuser unit but it was really jammed.

Long story short - had to plug out plug, leave it 30 seconds and the plug it back in and let it adjust itself back into place.

Turns out it’s pretty common..

Yep same happened to me, a fair amount of yanking done before going to Google!

• test if the mechanism in the infuser is moving up and down to full extension smoothly/easily

might need a good hot soak if not

• Advertisement

test if the mechanism in the infuser is moving up and down to full extension smoothly/easily

might need a good hot soak if not

Thanks, the infuser was out yesterday for a soak. Sounds like an electrical issue tbh.

Advertisement