Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

An ability to Google is a distinct advantage when considering education. https://www.lyit.ie/CourseDetails/D202/LY_KDATA_B/DataCentreManagement

What's the problem me asking? I was looking through alot of courses and just wanted the correct link.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Quick enough turnaround for you guys with that course. I applied for three courses on Friday but haven't heard anything back on any of them yet. Anyone with previous experience applying are they usually quick to get back to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭This is it

tolow wrote: »
    Quick enough turnaround for you guys with that course. I applied for three courses on Friday but haven't heard anything back on any of them yet. Anyone with previous experience applying are they usually quick to get back to you?

I wouldn't worry at all. I applied for three and only heard back from one. You can actually check where the application is at in the applications drop down. You can see if the provider has downloaded your application, etc. They may also request further documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

CBear1993 wrote: »
    This one caught my eye as well Dante, especially with all the data centres going up around the place, hopefully they last into the future!! I'm in construction so it could tie in well, have you any IT/Computing background? I don't.

Their's not many data centers, its just most made the news for awhile due to planning difficulties. And they hire very few. About 10//15 jobs when up and running.

These courses exist due to expected demand/lack of expertise but I'd be iffy about this one.

I'd be looking why they're building them here at all and see if things are for changing. Are the modules good for anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

It probably depends on the volume of applicants they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

FFVII wrote: »
    Their's not many data centers, its just most made the news for awhile due to planning difficulties. And they hire very few. About 10//15 jobs when up and running.

These courses exist due to expected demand/lack of expertise but I'd be iffy about this one.

I'd be looking why they're building them here at all and see if things are for changing. Are the modules good for anything else?

I'd agree with this. When you read about the job creation from data centers... most of the jobs are during the construction of them with a small % actually managing them going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

One of the courses I'm applying for (a H. Dip) has a question in the application 'What abilities do you possess that you feel will help you on your chosen course?' I don't know if there is a word limit but just wondering how long of an answer people are writing? I'm thinking it keeping it very short and to the point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just applied for a MSc in Cybersecurity there. Only have a lvl7 degree, but hopefully 10 years industry experience will help bridge the gap.

I can apply for more the one, right? Few others that look pretty good.
    Vetch wrote: »
    One of the courses I'm applying for (a H. Dip) has a question in the application 'What abilities do you possess that you feel will help you on your chosen course?' I don't know if there is a word limit but just wondering how long of an answer people are writing? I'm thinking it keeping it very short and to the point.
    I kept it very short, maybe 15 words? "Technically minded with a drive to upskill in a new area" etc etc... :P

Kiith wrote: »
    I just applied for a MSc in Cybersecurity there. Only have a lvl7 degree, but hopefully 10 years industry experience will help bridge the gap.

I can apply for more the one, right? Few others that look pretty good.

Yep, I've applied for 3.

Vetch wrote: »

I've followed up with an email for one of my applications. About 150 words

• Advertisement

Seems like the one i applied for isn't accepting applicants. Didn't notice that check box when searching, and it doesn't show when i check it. That should probably be checked by default :/

Applied for the Postgrad one as well, as that's showing as available.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've heard back from a couple looking for additional info. So they are being processes straight up.

Go into your account and check your applications. You should see updates there.

This is an example of one of my applications to an MSc in Carlow:

518257.png

I've had emails today about additional docs.

py wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. When you read about the job creation from data centers... most of the jobs are during the construction of them with a small % actually managing them going forward.

I sent an email looking for more info on the modules. Cant the work be done remotely which would be one of the reasons I'm applying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Mentioned to a few of the directors / high up lads in my construction firm yesterday that I was going to do a postgrad / further study through springboard to get out of construction. It was just an open conversation environment in the kitchen.

I’d say 3 of them are on salaries of about €150K, in their late 40s/early 50s , all various directors, and they immediately laughed it off. Their comments were - “sure what would you do that for? No one ever asks anything about college courses”
    “Jeezzz I wouldn’t recommend going back near college, sure it’s only a certificate, it’s as good as the piece of paper it’s written on”
    “People look for experience not letters before your name, upto you if you want to put yourself through hell in the evenings outside of work for a year”
    “All those colleges want is money, with a fake promise of a job at the end which they offer no support in getting, if it was that good they’d get you one when you sign up”

I couldn’t believe it!! Maybe just the older generation’s attitude? Bear in mind I’m nearly 95% sure that all of them would have done some form of level 8 degree at some point 25+ years ago.....

:D:D

They aren't far wrong to be honest, it's been mentioned here already. It will help you progress in a career or help you get your foot in the door of a new career. For example if someone was moving into IT for the first time with no experience, with most of these springboard courses you're not going in for a top job, you won't get it without industry certs and experience. Springboard courses will help get your foot in the door and you can work your way up then.

As I said, I finished my course in 2014 and got a front desk support role on a pretty low salary, around 24k. But once I was in I could gain experience, get industry certa, and work my way up, which I have. Now I'm looking to progress further and I hope whichever course I choose this year will help me do that.

Experience is key, but you need to get in to get experience and you'll find that hard without that piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

Has anyone who applied to any of the DCU courses heard back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So if people are being accepted I presume get application in asap, even if they have closing application dates for August!
    Mild panic....

dinneenp wrote: »
    So if people are being accepted I presume get application in asap, even if they have closing application dates for August!
    Mild panic....

Probably best to get in early, yep. I was surprised I was accepted so fast. Though the second I applied for hasn't responded yet and the third hasn't downloaded my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Mentioned to a few of the directors / high up lads in my construction firm yesterday that I was going to do a postgrad / further study through springboard to get out of construction. It was just an open conversation environment in the kitchen.

I’d say 3 of them are on salaries of about €150K, in their late 40s/early 50s , all various directors, and they immediately laughed it off. Their comments were - “sure what would you do that for? No one ever asks anything about college courses”
    “Jeezzz I wouldn’t recommend going back near college, sure it’s only a certificate, it’s as good as the piece of paper it’s written on”
    “People look for experience not letters before your name, upto you if you want to put yourself through hell in the evenings outside of work for a year”
    “All those colleges want is money, with a fake promise of a job at the end which they offer no support in getting, if it was that good they’d get you one when you sign up”

I couldn’t believe it!! Maybe just the older generation’s attitude? Bear in mind I’m nearly 95% sure that all of them would have done some form of level 8 degree at some point 25+ years ago.....

:D:D

Well it's the sector they're in too, some industries you won't get called to interview without a degree on your CV. But unless it's a tech company, nobody is likely to look any further than that ...but why apply for jobs wondering if the reason it didn't go anywhere is to do with a lack of third level qualifications
    dinneenp wrote: »
    Mild panic....

I get the impression the private colleges accept faster than the public ones, they're all about getting bums on seats so the speak.

RE: The posters on here that applied to the Level 6 BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management through Letterkenny IT online.

I emailed the course contact before applying and received a very wish-washy response. I basically asked what the career opportunities were as they aren't stated like they are on all the other course pages, and that after a data centre is constructed there isn't much to it.

He seemed rather offended and palmed me off by basically saying don't apply.....

• Advertisement

That's not a good start. Though just to note, it won't be that person that's giving lecturers most likely :)

I think I'll be accepted to my first choice so I'll probably not do that course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

RE: The posters on here that applied to the Level 6 BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management through Letterkenny IT online.

I emailed the course contact before applying and received a very wish-washy response. I basically asked what the career opportunities were as they aren't stated like they are on all the other course pages, and that after a data centre is constructed there isn't much to it.

He seemed rather offended and palmed me off by basically saying don't apply.....

lol nice!

This is it wrote: »
    That's not a good start. Though just to note, it won't be that person that's giving lecturers most likely :)

I think I'll be accepted to my first choice so I'll probably not do that course

Whats your first choice course ?

Whats your first choice course ?

Level 7 Networking and Security. I've applied for a range of things, Networking and security, Cyber security, and Data centre management, which would be in order of preference. With my background all three would suit where I am now in my career and open up possibilities for future development.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

How long do you have between being offered a place and having to accept it?

Illium wrote: »
    How long do you have between being offered a place and having to accept it?

I've only been offered one place but it has a deadline of 4 weeks, end of July. I don't know if they can retract it in the meantime but I wouldn't be hanging around too long just in case. As was said above, it's all about bums on the seats, they'll want full classes so they can avail of the government grant.

I've applied to the level 7/8 (can't remember) bachelors degree in pharmaceutical business operations through Innopharma. Anyone did this? 1 year PT.

No previous experience in Pharma or anything science, apart from working on pharma projects from a technical/cost aspect in construction as QS.

Will probably back out before it begins but sure it's something anyway.

I've applied to the level 7/8 (can't remember) bachelors degree in pharmaceutical business operations through Innopharma. Anyone did this? 1 year PT.

No previous experience in Pharma or anything science, apart from working on pharma projects from a technical/cost aspect in construction as QS.

Will probably back out before it begins but sure it's something anyway.

Don't forget that each course will likely fill up. If you don't plan on taking it try and cancel as early as possible to give others a chance to take the spot, don't wait until just before it begins if you have no interest in it.

Not knowing the level is probably a bad start, you also said the Data centre management course was level 6, it's level 7...

I applied for 3 different postgrad Cyber Security courses, all of which look very interesting.

Still need to upload my degree, as i have no idea where that is. Emailed Carlow to ask if a new one can be sent out.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I applied for 3 different postgrad Cyber Security courses, all of which look very interesting.

Still need to upload my degree, as i have no idea where that is. Emailed Carlow to ask if a new one can be sent out.

I've lost mine too but you can submit a request through QQI for a "Record of Awards / Verification of Award" which is €20. To get the cert itself it's €100! Mine is around somewhere so I'll try find it but I believe the Record of Award is sufficient. It's 10 working days for them to supply it

Advertisement