Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parcel Post in Galway

• 12-11-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

If you missed the postman delivering parcel - where do you go in Galway to collect it? Is it walking distance from city centre or is it in the main post office?
    Parcel coming this week and not in tommorow so knowing my luck it'll be delivered then!!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've had to pick up parcels before from their place well out the Tuam Road which isn't exactly walking distance from anywhere. It's in the same industrial estate as Kenny's Citroen dealership.

Pain in the arse tbh, you used to be able to pick stuff up in the GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭sgthighway

It goes out to the Depot out the Tuam Rd. which is a long way to walk. Maybe get a neighbour to keep an eye out for the Postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

and do what?

Neighbour: em yerman told me to look out for a package for him
    Postman: Oh ok, Its a big one, from dell i think
    Neighbour: Niiiiiccce

If my postman gave my mail to my neighbour because he just asked I would be livid !

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My Neighbour took in my Dell laptop for me. Ive no idea who my neighbour is, what he looks like, id only been living in the estate about 2 weeks or so, and I have many people who can testify that my estate is a big dirty knack hole!

He dropped it into the house later on though... actually ive still never seen him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

They give you a slip if they could not deliver it to you. The package would be available the next day to collect. Its annoying when it happens because it's a long walk, bout an hour to and back from gmit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

do Dell deliver using an Post? The DHL depot is slightly nearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

As said, An Post depot is out at Tuam Rd, in the business park place where Kenny's car dealership is. Bring some (any) sort of ID to be safe. TBH much prefer picking it up there than in the GPO - at least you get parking in the Tuam Rd depot

The ONLY people I refuse to let handle my packages (ooh er) is GLS - Don't get me started :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cathkins wrote: »
    If you missed the postman delivering parcel - where do you go in Galway to collect it? Is it walking distance from city centre

Only if you're into mega long walks.

Apparently if they leave a slip saying there's a parcel for collection, you can ring up and ask for it to be transferred to a post office in town. The main post office is central. Bohermore is not that far away either, and has much shorter queues!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It has happened to me more than once that when I got out there I was told that it was still in the delivery van, one of these times was before I had a car and had just walked out from town ("sure, how long could it take", never again).

Argh.

You also have to go there when you get caught for customs on stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wait for slip.
    Collect next day from depot.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50359407

You can try what JustMary said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cathkins

Thanks for suggestions :) Another question - does anybody know the times when post is delivered in the city centre?

Cathkins wrote: »
    Thanks for suggestions :) Another question - does anybody know the times when post is delivered in the city centre?

Depends on the route, even in the city there's different routes. Could be anytime from 9am - 5 (5:30?) pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

What happens if there are from ups or dhl? Do they have any depot in galway?

What happens if there are from ups or dhl? Do they have any depot in galway?

DHL depot is in Shannon :eek: If you ring them though they'll arrange an alternative delivery (ie. next day), or if you missed them on the same day, ring DHL and get the mobile number of the driver, ring him (I've always had the same fella, he's bang on) and if he's still around he'll meet ya somewhere - Again bring some sort of ID, I only had a Laser card one day when I met him and that did fine, anything that has your name on it

UPS - Not a clue, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

if you know a neighbour well enough you can leave a note in your window for it to be dropped to their house. i've done this a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Apparently if they leave a slip saying there's a parcel for collection, you can ring up and ask for it to be transferred to a post office in town. The main post office is central. Bohermore is not that far away either, and has much shorter queues!

We missed a parcel yesterday, rang up when they had just opened, the post had already gone out. They said they *don't* deliver / transfer to another Post Office. The options were redelivery on Monday, pick it up, or send the slip and have a neighbour accept it:(

The nice neighbours are sadly all 9-5ers.

Advertisement