Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE parking Dundrum Shopping Centre

• 08-11-2019 6:52pm
    Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

if you leave before 10.30am for a "limited time only"!
    Guess it's for same day arrival only.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Don't the shops only open at 9:30/10?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

Detest places that charge for parking. Especially shopping centres.

antodeco wrote: »
    Don't the shops only open at 9:30/10?

Cafés, McDonald's and other breakfast places open earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,983 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

hurikane wrote: »
    'Free' parking isn't really free. It just means that the costs of providing parking are shared by all customers, including those who walk or cycle or taking the bus. If you want storage space for your private property, it's not unreasonable that you pay for the cost of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Generally agree but sometimes not charging encourages people parking for work all day or even jumping PT to the city

• Advertisement

'Free' parking isn't really free. It just means that the costs of providing parking are shared by all customers, including those who walk or cycle or taking the bus. If you want storage space for your private property, it's not unreasonable that you pay for the cost of this.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have to charge in Dundrum with the luas a 3 min walk away.

GreeBo wrote: »

They don't. They could offer free parking for a couple of hours to stop people parking all day or free parking when you make a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Dundrum's parking always annoys me. 1 hour €2, then 2 hours free, then extortion to prevent commuter parking.

Why not 2 hours free, then kick in charges (live Pavilions owned by the same people)?

Profit. That's why. And power to them when people will pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

3 Euro an hour . Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

GreeBo wrote: »

The Square is also beside the Luas and first two hours are free .

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    3 Euro an hour . Ridiculous

Not as ridiculous as 4 Euro an hour.

I won't even start on how ridiculous 5 Euro an hour is.

Now, 6 Euro an hour, if it wasn't for 7 Euro an hour, that'd be the worst.

..Until you mention 8 Euro an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭matchthis

Not as ridiculous as 4 Euro an hour.

I won't even start on how ridiculous 5 Euro an hour is.

Now, 6 Euro an hour, if it wasn't for 7 Euro an hour, that'd be the worst.

..Until you mention 8 Euro an hour.

Imagine up the north and it being sterling. Be cheaper to parachute in and then batman style sky hook to get you out. Tiz mad

matchthis wrote: »
    Imagine up the north and it being sterling. Be cheaper to parachute in and then batman style sky hook to get you out. Tiz mad

Erm...it would be the same value in sterling... Or any other currency... That's how they work?

They don't. They could offer free parking for a couple of hours to stop people parking all day or free parking when you make a purchase.

And then you'd have people nip into town for an hour and a half while parking for free. Its a 20 minute journey.

The square to abbey Street is 50 mins... Not sure who would take advantage of that free parking tbh.

Tesco gives free parking if you spend 30 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Dundrum have no choice but to charge for parking, it’s a condition of their planning permission. And no, 10c an hour wouldn’t cut it before some legal eagle suggests it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This
    markpb wrote: »
    Dundrum have no choice but to charge for parking, it’s a condition of their planning permission. And no, 10c an hour wouldn’t cut it before some legal eagle suggests it.

explains this nicely
    sdanseo wrote: »
    Dundrum's parking always annoys me. 1 hour €2, then 2 hours free, then extortion to prevent commuter parking.

Why not 2 hours free, then kick in charges (live Pavilions owned by the same people)?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If you spend either €20 or €30 in Tesco, you get 1 hours free parking.

Buy anything (it seems) in Lidl, you get an hours free parking in the
    Old Dundrum Shopping centre, a short walk to the "newer one".

If you park on the main street, you get an additional 15 minutes free when you put in a minimum of 50c into the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

It’s €3 for 3 hours (or €3 for first hour and two hours free) and if you spend €30 in Tesco you get €3 off your shop for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah Dundrum Shopping Centre.. detest the place myself. The paid parking is one aspect, but the overpriced nature of the stores and the type of stores in the place is another. Place always struck me as having "notions"

I'd sooner drive to Liffey Valley or Blanch - and often did when I lived in the area.

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »

Why would you expect people who walk, cycle, bus or Luas to Dundrum to subsidise storage of your private property?

Why would you expect people who walk, cycle, bus or Luas to Dundrum to subsidise storage of your private property?

The people on the luas and bus were already subsidised on their journey so it seems fair

salmocab wrote: »
    The people on the luas and bus were already subsidised on their journey so it seems fair
    Really? Do you really want to go there - on how motoring and motorists are hugely subsidised by society at large?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Speaking as a fellow cyclist, your obsessive holier-than-thou attitude is tiresome, off-putting and unlikely to win many converts to our cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Speaking as a fellow cyclist, your obsessive holier-than-thou attitude is tiresome, off-putting and unlikely to win many converts to our cause.

He's a cyclist? Does he cycle only on non subsidised roads?

Really? Do you really want to go there - on how motoring and motorists are hugely subsidised by society at large?

Not really, I don’t care.

You're correct - they are. But most of society at large chooses to drive/own/rent cars. Motorists are part of society at large.

Look, I'm on your side, I don't even own a car at present (can't afford one for reasons I won't get into), but I'm interested in pursuing more sensible tactics.

He's a cyclist? Does he cycle only on non subsidised roads?

I would hope that he cycles wherever he bloody well likes - as I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I would hope that he cycles wherever he bloody well likes - as I do.

Hate derailing a thread but I find it hilarious he is saying motorists are subsidised by society whilst ignoring the surface under the wheels of his own bike and who paid for said surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Hate derailing a thread but I find it hilarious he is saying motorists are subsidised by society whilst ignoring the surface under the wheels of his own bike and who paid for said surface.
    Motor tax v Road tax :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement