Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Christmas Movie - Boardsies Decide

• 07-12-2019 9:54pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Best Christmas Movie - Boardsies Decide

PQxdJvP.jpg

The rules:
    • 64 films in the competition, 32 first round matches.
    • Pick one of film and decide which you prefer. Give a reason. Films where no reason are given won't be counted. All valid votes will be thanked by me to confirm that they are accepted.
    • First to 6 votes goes through to the next round. Depending on volume of voters/contributors, this may increase exponentially by 1 vote each round.
    • One vote per player per match.
    • No take backsies on a vote once cast.
    • Anyone can vote, even if you hadn't submitted any nominations.
    • If there are votes for a considerable period, the film with the most votes will go through even if it hasn't reached 7 votes. Ties will be decided by me, if deadlocked for a considerable period.

And a final note on the mechanics:
    • Movies with the most nominations have been seeded to avoid playing off against each other in the first rounds.
    • To make up the 64 movies required for a knock-out some wildcards have been added (OP's choice), but these will always play against the highest seeded movies.
    • Match order has been randomised (ie, you won't necessarily see the Seed 1 in the first match)

Competition starting Monday, chat among yourselves if you like, but still no mention of nominations until they are closed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Yippee ki yay

fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir, seeeeeeeeeeeeec, third

Come on Poltergiest 2, you can do this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Clark W Griswold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

GFH4lNjm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

90e94454-c43f-4520-ae56-5e3e7667460f-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Round 1 Match 1

While You Were Sleeping (1995)

71e3bb6a-b827-4d58-b667-518542def17e.jpg?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114924/

A hopeless romantic Chicago Transit Authority token collector is mistaken for the fiancof a coma patient.

Stars: Sandra Bullock, Bill Pullman, Peter Gallagher

v

Joyeux No(2005)

20fc7ebf8ea110276f337a970bf80c4a.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/

In December 1914, an unofficial Christmas truce on the Western Front allows soldiers from opposing sides of the First World War to gain insight into each other's way of life.

Stars: Diane Kruger, Benno Fürmann, Guillaume Canet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭LadySkunk

Oh no I haven’t seen either :(

Two of my favourite films. I'm gutted they're up against each other first round. But the rand is the rand. You should watch them Skunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LadySkunk wrote: »
    Oh no I haven’t seen either :(

Same, haven't even heard of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I vote for While you were sleeping

I'l be honest, havent heard of the other movie but did check the trailer. Of those two, I reckon I would prefer the first one as it would remind me more of Christmas.

I think there might be a lot of movies here I will not have seen.

I havent seen joeux so I'll go sleeping as I have seen it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

haven't seen either of those :/

Zemo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Round 1 Match 1:

It will have to be "While You Were Sleeping" because it is a delightful romantic comedy. Also, I am not familiar with the other film!

tusk wrote: »
    Zemo

?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I vote Sleeping, I find war films too depressing at Xmas, even the photo selected is depressing me :(

NB, as things are slower than expected, first round matches now first to 6 instead of 7.
    OP updated.

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »

Ahh, the lovely Daniel Brühl! Indeed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

Haven;t seen either of them sorry, and like some of the other posters haven't even heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Havent heard of either

:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

While You Were Sleeping.

Havent seen the other one, wouldnt interest me either tbh so While You Were Sleeping wins by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Joyeux No .

Don't like While You Were Sleeping , too shmaltzy , so that's my vote !

Okay three hours is plenty. While You Were Sleeping limps in to the second round.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, it really is a lovely romantic comedy. There are very few really good Rom Coms but this is one. Give it a watch.

Joyeux Noel is also good, but maybe not for everyone. It is a tear-jerker, but the WW1 Christmas truce always fascinated me and this is a great telling of the story.

Next up, Round 1, Match 2:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)

image.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241527/

An orphaned boy enrolls in a school of wizardry, where he learns the truth about himself, his family and the terrible evil that haunts the magical world.

Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Richard Harris

v

The Family Man (2000)

family-man.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218967/

A fast-lane investment broker, offered the opportunity to see how the other half lives, wakes up to find that his sports car and girlfriend have become a mini-van and wife.

Stars: Nicolas Cage, Tea Leoni, Don Cheadle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

the family man because harry potter is not an xmas movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Harry Potter !
    I love when they show all the films in order , over Christmas . Plus , my four year old granddaughter's favourite game is when she pretends to be "Gobby Elf" and I've to be "Peter Potter" :pac:

• Advertisement

As the founding member of the anti Harry Potter Christmas movie alliance or the AHPCMA if you prefer I vote the family man

Munster says no.

Advertisement