Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ECCO shoes, and then possible menswear bargain

• 13-01-2021 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

My go to shoe is an ECCO Track. A Gore-Tex waterproof shoe. Sometimes discounted by 20%-30% in my experience. Spotted an Irish menswear shop offering this shoe at a 50% discount. Ordered a pair, delivered 3 days later by DPD. Happy out.
    Shop has plenty of other brands discounted by 50% in their other sections. However I'm only familiar with ECCO and feel the shoe is a bargain.

https://www.lavinsmenswear.com/c/footwear/26/filbrand_130/perpage_24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

81r2 wrote: »
    My go to shoe is an ECCO Track. A Gore-Tex waterproof shoe. Sometimes discounted by 20%-30% in my experience. Spotted an Irish menswear shop offering this shoe at a 50% discount. Ordered a pair, delivered 3 days later by DPD. Happy out.
    Shop has plenty of other brands discounted by 50% in their other sections. However I'm only familiar with ECCO and feel the shoe is a bargain.

https://www.lavinsmenswear.com/c/footwear/26/filbrand_130/perpage_24
    Had 2 pairs similar to these, didn't last as long as I'd hoped(goretex track)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Had 2 pairs similar to these, didn't last as long as I'd hoped(goretex track)

Not dissing the OP's bargain, thanks m8, I was a huge Ecco fan myself, until recently.

I had a pair of Gortex boots and liked them so much I bought another pair to keep as a spare set.

The sole disintegrated on the pair I was wearing, and I wasn't too impressed, but I assumed I must have walked through acid or diesel or somesubstance as they were in mush.
    I went to the cupboard and stuck on my shiny new pair, straight from the box.(although maybe 2 years since purchase)
    Noticed the next day, my feet wet and looked at the disintegrated soles and thought I had put on the old ones, but alas no, the unworn pair had disintegrated in exactly the same way.

Seems I was not alone.

Ecco, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Fair play thanks for heads up
    Sadly very limited sizes
    Personally I think they are a great brand with no problems
    Wearing ecco for 30: years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Have seen similar issue ... gave someone a lift one day and noticed after they got out that the floor of the car was destroyed with something all crumbled up. Chatting the same person the next day and the soles of their shoes were in tatters!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Was going to buy a pair of ECCO waterproof,fed up with getting wet feet. Glad I didn't now,got a pair of Columbia instead.

Still waiting though,thanks Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Same issue with me in that soles split. I think it is the nature of the material, like a rubber, to deteriorate with age rather than use/wear. I had identical pair in another location, only used when there but soles went the same way tho little used.

Garlinge wrote: »
    Same issue with me in that soles split. I think it is the nature of the material, like a rubber, to deteriorate with age rather than use/wear. I had identical pair in another location, only used when there but soles went the same way tho little used.

Got 2 decent pairs of runner type regatta waterproof hiking boots, really good, and my best pair are Berghaus - fully w proof and I use them daily up the cliff walk muddy and wet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Same thing happened to me with a pair of ECCO boots. Completely disintegrated. Problem was I was wearing them in the snow in Sweden at the time and only had that pair with me. Had to buy a pair in a charity shop there!

Same thing happened to me with a pair of ECCO boots. Completely disintegrated. Problem was I was wearing them in the snow in Sweden at the time and only had that pair with me. Had to buy a pair in a charity shop there!

They've obviously changed source of leather or outsourced production in the last few years, product had a good reputation

Had a pair for two years and i walked them to stubs, brilliant shoes.

Got a subsequent pair a few months back, and no issues yet i must say

• Advertisement

They've obviously changed source of leather or outsourced production in the last few years, product had a good reputation

It wasn't the leather, the uppers were perfect. It was the sole that crumbled. Wouldn't mind but they were quite expensive. Only pair that ever disintegrated!

Same calamity with me, soaked thru on way to an event then sat in bare feet as socks wet thru and shops closed by time to walk home again... and no rads on to dry off what with fancy underfloor heating?
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thank you OP, got my ECCO work shoes for €55 delivered and normally the lowest I'd ever get them is €90 in a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Wore nothing else for about twenty years but noticed a distinct change in quality standards about ten years ago, nothing remotely like what they used to be.

I often had pairs of Ecco for well over five years, they went from going out shoes to working shoes to they'll be grand outside in the garden shoes. They seemed to get more comfortable the older they got. The last two pairs I got didn't last pi**ing time, wore one pair walking the dogs on the beach and they literally fell apart the next day.

I found Henly to be a good brand since and for very good comfortable boots that will take all punishment the military spec Altberg are hard to beat.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

the €55 ones I watching earlier now €82......

Well that has helped me decide 'do i really them' !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

I bought Ecco track boots last year and I wear them every day.
    No problems whatsoever.

So I just bought a new pair of Ecco Track shoes from Lavins there.. €85 is a steal.

Thanks very much to the OP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Wow, thought it was just me, I had exactly the same problem with a pair of Ecco shoes a few years ago.
    Soles went to pieces. Never again.

I have Hotter brand now, as laceup/walking shoe. It has a very slight heel and more comfortable on that account than the Ecco which has virtually identical shoe. But no Hotter shops here....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

I had a pair of ECCO trainers, 15 years ago. Brown leather, with orange stitching. Looked great, felt great on my feet. Wore them daily for 8 years. They truly were awesome. Have tried 5 different models since then and was burned every time. They're not the company they once were...

parttime wrote: »
    I had a pair of ECCO trainers, 15 years ago. Brown leather, with orange stitching. Looked great, felt great on my feet. Wore them daily for 8 years. They truly were awesome. Have tried 5 different models since then and was burned every time. They're not the company they once were...

Agree wholeheartedly

• Advertisement

Garlinge wrote: »
    I have Hotter brand now, as laceup/walking shoe. It has a very slight heel and more comfortable on that account than the Ecco which has virtually identical shoe. But no Hotter shops here....

Expensive compared to the ecco

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Agree wholeheartedly

Originally think they were made in Denmark and then production was moved to somewhere cheap...quality suffered as a result..

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

When putting out the bin today I discovered my partner had thrown out a pair of Ecco shoes for the same reason as me! The soles are crumbling and the side is split!

What are the chances that two people in the same household have the exact same problem :mad:

Originally think they were made in Denmark and then production was moved to somewhere cheap...quality suffered as a result..

Our ones were made in Thailand

I bought x 2 Hotter in past 2 yrs ( c £60) and think about same price as similar design Ecco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

My last two pairs of shoes for work haven't lasted 12 months, soles failed in both. I thought something at work was effected them... Now I know the truth. Time for a new brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

I get a full year out of my echo shoes in work, then every January I get a new pair and I keep the older pair for home/garden for the year.
    Find them unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

Wore nothing else for about twenty years but noticed a distinct change in quality standards about ten years ago, nothing remotely like what they used to be.

I often had pairs of Ecco for well over five years, they went from going out shoes to working shoes to they'll be grand outside in the garden shoes. They seemed to get more comfortable the older they got. The last two pairs I got didn't last pi**ing time, wore one pair walking the dogs on the beach and they literally fell apart the next day.

I found Henly to be a good brand since and for very good comfortable boots that will take all punishment the military spec Altberg are hard to beat.
    parttime wrote: »
    Our ones were made in Thailand
    I'd like to echo (Ecco? :D ) the above comments. Used to love them, until one time I bought an exact same pair to replace a pair I loved that had just gotten too old, but even when out of the box and on my feet they looked unevenly made, one wasn't exactly like the other. Also wasn't anywhere near as comfortable.
    Did a little digging online and found out the original owner had gotten too old and one of his daughters took over, made big moves to cost saving, and quality went seriously downhill after that. They were a Portugese company I believe, and sure enough I checked both pairs - the original that I loved were made in Portugal, the new ones of the exact same type were made in Thailand. Pieces of garbage.
    That was about 10 - 15 years ago it all changed. I've tried two or three pairs since just in case, but none impressed me.
    It's a shame that in all that time since they haven't responded to all the on-line criticism of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Any other brand thst is as good as old Echo ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

I have actually looked through the sale items in Lavins and its pretty decent and well priced, free deleivery for orders over 49€

Advertisement