Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YouTube Premium thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Brilliant value.
    I cancelled my Netflix and Spotify accounts as the YT premium is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

If you're setting up a family plan, make sure that's set up BEFORE you go to YouTube and BEFORE you start your VPN.

What is meant by this? Do you need to set up a free family account first before converting to Premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

leex wrote: »
    What is meant by this? Do you need to set up a free family account first before converting to Premium?

Yup. Add you family members, then fire up the VPN, go to the foreign site and subscribe. You'll need an address to put as your billing address; use the Irish Embassy or whatever :)

Does everyone in the family need to download the vpn to use this or is the VPN just needed for sign up?

Just needed for the sign-up to Premium by the primary account. Can uninstall the VPN immediately after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Between this and tidal and Netflix from Turkey, all entertainment is sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭drogon.

TheDriver wrote: »

Why Tidal ? You can just download the YouTube Music App instead. I know Tidal has better quality, but since most use bluetooth - I don't think the quality is preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If you intend to use this on android only then just download Youtube Vanced APK and don't be giving Google more money. No ads, allows background play/play on lock screen and when using other apps.

https://vancedapp.com/

Also if you download Brave browser you can access youtube through a web browser interface and get the same benefits as using vanced.

drogon. wrote: »
    Why Tidal ? You can just download the YouTube Music App instead. I know Tidal has better quality, but since most use bluetooth - I don't think the quality is preserved.

I find ytube music lacks a lot whereas tidal is as good as Spotify. At the price on turkey, it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just signed up for this using Hola on a desktop. Extremely simple. €1.45 a month using Revoult

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

nephster wrote: »
    Yup. Add you family members, then fire up the VPN, go to the foreign site and subscribe. You'll need an address to put as your billing address; use the Irish Embassy or whatever :)

But people are saying that there's no need for a family account as a single sub can be used simultaneously across multiple devices?

Or have I read that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Skuxx wrote: »
    Just signed up for this using Hola on a desktop. Extremely simple. €1.45 a month using Revoult

What are the steps to take if you are already a premium account holder? Do I need to set up a new account or is there a way to re-sign up using a VPN?

luddite here btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

uli84 wrote: »
    Is it possible to do the same on Spotify?

i don't think so - from my ltd reading it looks like the country of your card and the country of the spotify account have to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭chillinpenguin

Just a heads up on this. When you add people to your family it also adds them to your family Gmail calendar...father in law spying on us for weeks without knowing :mad::mad:

Soarer wrote: »
    But people are saying that there's no need for a family account as a single sub can be used simultaneously across multiple devices?

Or have I read that wrong?

You can use one account if you are happy logging your family into that Google account on their phones, which I suspect gives them access to its email etc. Less of an issue if you create the Gmail account you are to use specifically for this, I suppose.
    And so long you are happy with everyone's choices all being mixed together. You'd see all the videos everyone had watched in the History tab, and influencing suggestions on what to watch.

I judged it worth the extra fiver or so a year for Family.

If you have Netflix, it'd be like everyone using the same profile to watch, rather than using different profiles for the kids etc. under the one account.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Isn't Hola one of the dodgier VPNs? It is "free"..

I primarily use Youtube on the telly using the native app. If I have a family plan set up via my phone or laptop, should I have any issues using Premium on the telly?

balfe1990 wrote: »
    Isn't Hola one of the dodgier VPNs? It is "free"..

I primarily use Youtube on the telly using the native app. If I have a family plan set up via my phone or laptop, should I have any issues using Premium on the telly?

I have one account which I use on a phone and 2 TVs. Bar sharing history across all devices, they all use the premium account and can do so simultaneously. It's not like netflix where you can only have 1 device per slot running at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Problem with picking another country is your youtube music app is full of Indian/Turkish music in the playlists and new releases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Thread of the year so far folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

ShaneU wrote: »
    Problem with picking another country is your youtube music app is full of Indian/Turkish music in the playlists and new releases

You need the VPN to sign up, not to continue to access.
    My YT on my TV has Irish music/new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

K.
    I'm a bit confused my this.
    I've created a couple of new gmail accounts for our family, one of the kids, one for the adults.
    I've logged into YouTube with the Adults account, but for the life of me I can't find how to add family members without going through the 1 month trial of Premium.
    Anyone help an old man out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Esse85 wrote: »
    Brilliant value.
    I cancelled my Netflix and Spotify accounts as the YT premium is so good.

Do they have many tv shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Is removing the add the only benefit ??

If so you could use Adblock for Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

TheDriver wrote: »

How much is Netflix in Turkey? Do you use a VPN for first time connection or do you need to keep it running?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

so tempted to drop spotify for tidal at that pricing and join yt family too.

but i don't think youtube is a replacement for netflix....

Soarer wrote: »
    K.
    I'm a bit confused my this.
    I've created a couple of new gmail accounts for our family, one of the kids, one for the adults.
    I've logged into YouTube with the Adults account, but for the life of me I can't find how to add family members without going through the 1 month trial of Premium.
    Anyone help an old man out?

https://families.google.com/families - create the Family group here first. Then upgrade it to YouTube Premium Family, IIRC.

I think this needs to be done first as Families generally have to be in the same country, which is done by setting payment methods for one country. You'll be setting up a new payment in a different country (hence the whole VPN thing and giving a foreign billing address) to get that country's rate; if you add members later, they will be seen as being in a different country for these purposes. But if done before, they continue to be part of the Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Or for Android, Youtube Vanced

How much is Netflix in Turkey? Do you use a VPN for first time connection or do you need to keep it running?

Thank you.

4.80 for 4 screen. The former. Whole thread about in on this forum.

True but i use YT on TV and tablet and phone and PC and it;s small money overall.
    YT music is good as you can get all the live concerts etc on your phone as tracks to play in the car. EVen stuff other people have recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

This is important if you're setting it up. Got to have members added (and invitations accepted) before you do the vpn trick.
    https://families.google.com/families - create the Family group here first. Then upgrade it to YouTube Premium Family, IIRC.

I think this needs to be done first as Families generally have to be in the same country, which is done by setting payment methods for one country. You'll be setting up a new payment in a different country (hence the whole VPN thing and giving a foreign billing address) to get that country's rate; if you add members later, they will be seen as being in a different country for these purposes. But if done before, they continue to be part of the Family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I've added people to my family account after signing up and not had an issue.

Advertisement