Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cross Pens

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It will be interesting, I bought pens for all the family so was well over the 22 quid.
    However you are buying on an .ie website, in Euros
    It would be reasonable to assume no extra charges are expected

If extra charges happen then Cross will be getting a lot of complaints...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mik_da_man wrote: »
    It will be interesting, I bought pens for all the family so was well over the 22 quid.
    However you are buying on an .ie website, in Euros
    It would be reasonable to assume no extra charges are expected

If extra charges happen then Cross will be getting a lot of complaints...

Yes I went to nearly €40, I got the impression from the site that it was coming from an Irish or European distribution centre, no mention of it coming from the UK and liable to import duty during the ordering process. I did see a Bedfordshire address in the footer of the email received though but order already placed then. They shouldn't be using a .ie with no mention of duty if it's coming from the UK (I know they are under no obligation to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Cross are historically an Irish company, so it would be fairly embarrassing for them if they messed on Brexit and Irish people had to pay import duty and VAT to buy their pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dante7 wrote: »
    Cross are historically an Irish company, so it would be fairly embarrassing for them if they messed on Brexit and Irish people had to pay import duty and VAT to buy their pens.

Historically an Irish company?

As in founded here?

Didn't know that. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

lawred2 wrote: »

As in founded here?

No such thing, an American company through and through....they had a manufacturing plant here that was set up in the '70s ... but nothing Irish about it overall

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

An Post say they have an agreement with 95% of their GB 'partners' so that no additional fees are payable at the doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No such thing, an American company through and through....they had a manufacturing plant here that was set up in the '70s ... but nothing Irish about it overall

I was kinda thinking that would be more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Thanks OP, first bargain alert of the year for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭lau1247

Yes I went to nearly €40, I got the impression from the site that it was coming from an Irish or European distribution centre, no mention of it coming from the UK and liable to import duty during the ordering process. I did see a Bedfordshire address in the footer of the email received though but order already placed then. They shouldn't be using a .ie with no mention of duty if it's coming from the UK (I know they are under no obligation to).

That's the thing though, it is cross.com with sub region in the address. So not explicitly a .ie address.

It is anyone's guess as it is at the moment.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Does it matter which way you apply the discounts?
    If you buy something for €100 with a 55% discount, then 20%,15% and 5% would that not make it 95% off so €5?
    Or is there a best way to apply the discounts to make it cheapest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

Does it matter which way you apply the discounts?
    If you buy something for €100 with a 55% discount, then 20%,15% and 5% would that not make it 95% off so €5?
    Or is there a best way to apply the discounts to make it cheapest?

It makes no difference, as based on a reducing percentage balance whichever way you order it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

W3LC0M32X

15% off code that came to me too late if anyone wants to use it.. just comment when used please

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

W3LC0M32X

15% off code that came to me too late if anyone wants to use it.. just comment when used please

I got the same code, probably same code for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

As in founded here?

A friend of mine worked on the design of their ink flow system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

it does say Cross Ireland but there's probably going to be a load of companies who have always treated Ireland as an extension of Britain that haven't really done anything to prep for Brexit

The contact address for Ireland is their UK headquarters address.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

An Post say they have an agreement with 95% of their GB 'partners' so that no additional fees are payable at the doorstep.

I'm obviously wrong but I thought the deal that went through means there are no import charges when buying from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Cheers OP - didn't need one, bought 2 - the sign of a great BA!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Bought another couple of pens seperately for under 20 to save any hassle.

Dante7 wrote: »

They used to give out pens on RTE game-shows as prizes (sponsored I suppose) and had a plant in Ireland years ago but long gone

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ballinasloe-angry-over-60-job-losses-1.1122872

American company

Tbh I find that cheap (1 or 2 euro) gel rollerball pens with a comfortable grip write better than expensive pens and as for fountain pens the ink smudges, they tend to leak and the novelty wears off very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Been out of work for 5 months and starting a new job on Monday so I treated myself to a new pen for €25 inc shipping.

https://www.cross.com/cr_en_ie/

Best if luck in the new job tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭torrevieja

How do u get the 15% off newsletter i signed up but no code

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

torrevieja wrote: »

When you log into your email and verify it via link, you get emailed the code.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Check your spam folder, or gmail, check your promotions folder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Thank you Mr Edge, I too love a good fountain pen and just ordered a Cross Century there with engraving, and with all the codes it came to around €23. Cheers!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

torrevieja wrote: »

I think the newsletter code is the same for everyone

try W3LC0M32X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Thanks OP, got a fabulous engraved pen delivered for €21.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I worked in their manufacturing plant in Ballinasloe back in their hayday in the 80s/90s. The only plant outside the US (Rhode Island). Opened in 1971...closed around 2003. Great company and fantastic place to work.
    They were fairly elite, exclusive and expensive back then.
    I remember machining solid gold ones for the elite in the Middle East. Company and is gone basically now with the brand sold to the Chinese. Wouldn't be interested in buying one now.

Anyway....a small sample of my historic collection.:pac:

538205.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭lau1247

So I rang their office. Shipping will be from Luton, UK. The guy I spoke to said that as far as he know, what we pay on the screen is what it is, they are not expecting more thereafter and mentioned free trade agreement.

I'm still a little unsure because from Revenue summary it would appear that VAT will still apply (Unless Cross already applied Irish VAT, seems unlikely though right?).

On another page from UK Gov site, it seems to say personal user (not VAT registered) will be charged UK VAT.

VAT within the EU and with other trade agreement countries
    If you supply goods to an EU country these sales are technically known as dispatches or removals rather than exports.

Dispatches within the EU between VAT-registered businesses are not subject to VAT. This also applies to goods imported into the EU that have been released for free circulation following payment of import duties.

However, when you dispatch goods to someone in an EU country, who is not registered for VAT in that country, you should normally charge VAT.

Read more about VAT: exports, dispatches and supplying goods abroad.

Customs declarations are not generally required for goods in free circulation within the EU, but traders must remember to raise VAT invoices showing the VAT Registration Number of their customers and obtain evidence of shipment.

How to handle VAT within the EU
    If your EU customer is VAT registered and can provide you with a valid EU VAT Registration Number:

you can apply the zero rate of VAT to the sale
    the VAT will be due in the destination country from the customer on acquisition of the goods
    you must keep paperwork that shows both the seller’s and buyer’s VAT registration numbers (with the correct national codes) on the invoice
    you must number your sales invoices in sequence
    you must also get and keep valid evidence that the goods have been removed from the UK within certain time limits to be able to zero rate
    Read more about charging VAT.

If your buyer is not VAT registered, or you cannot get their VAT number, then as the seller you must charge the UK rate of VAT.

Maybe someone who might know more about this subject can shed a light.. as far as I can see, I think we will be charged VAT once it get into country over €22 (inclusive of shipping charge). Just a matter of what VAT did Cross apply that I don't have answer to.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Just bought my second pen.. €100..and saved €70.93...
    Not too shabby at all for €29.07 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Great work OP and all others
    Subtotal €110.00
    55% off All Outlet Products -€60.50
    EMEA: Generic Affiliate 5% off any spend -€2.48
    15% discount - New Customer -€7.05
    XEXEC 20% off -€7.99
    Shipping (Pens & Accessories - Free - Standard (5 - 7 Working Days)) €0.00
    Est. Total €31.98

Advertisement