Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaun Murphy

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

I dont know why but I really dislike the smug pr1ck, I dread the day he retires and joins the BBC commentery team and teams up with fcukwit Dennis Tylor

Does anyone else despise him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rafa no 1

Yes agree he looks really smug, but boy can he play, watching it here and he's 10-8 up on hendry looking like 11-9, don't tink he'll be retiring for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

rafa no 1 wrote: »
    Yes agree he looks really smug, but boy can he play, watching it here and he's 10-8 up on hendry looking like 11-9, don't tink he'll be retiring for a while yet.
    How can he be 10-8 up and it's looking like 11-9? Are they about to win a frame each at the same time?

OOOPs so sorry, i did mean looking like 11-8, which it did go and now looking like 12-8.

Murphy missed black off spot for frame, Hendry clears up to win, now 11-9 at the interval, unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

ha ha looks like God boy is feeling the pressure

fcuk ya Hendry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Well done Shaun, Hendry kind of blew it in the second session tbh & missed some important balls. Maybe he was a abit excited from the maxi in the morning, which has been seen many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Auvers wrote: »
    I dont know why but I really dislike the smug pr1ck, I dread the day he retires and joins the BBC commentery team and teams up with fcukwit Dennis Tylor

Does anyone else despise him?

i have to have a bit of sympathy for him this week as his wife is serving him with divorce papers....maybe she noticed his smugness....was it two years ago he made headlines because his father wouldnt talk to him for the previous 18 months (or maybe he wouldn't talk to his father, although he did say on national television that all his father had to do was pick up the phone...why couldn't shaun pick up the phone?)....he was a bit down this week because he hadn't got the usual sheffield roar....many in sheffield seem to have sided with his wife.

in a nutshell i don't like him but i've never met the guy so maybe i shouldn't judge. what is it they say? when you point a finger at someone you point three back at yourself.

still don't like the smug ggrrr

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Hope he dosn't get to the final hard to look at his sour puss all weekend. Don't like him since the time he made the referee award him the opening frame when Stapen Lee was 10 minutes late for a match. Not surprised the wife left him.

Glenman wrote: »
    Hope he dosn't get to the final hard to look at his sour puss all weekend. Don't like him since the time he made the referee award him the opening frame when Stapen Lee was 10 minutes late for a match. Not surprised the wife left him.

I don't remember that incident too well but I clearly remember when he played Stephen Maguire at either the UK Championship or Grand Prix and Stephen had forgotton to bring his chalk when he was introduced into the arena. Stephen asked the ref if he could go out for a sec to get it & he said no problem.

While Stephen was out, Shaun suggested that he should be docked a frame (as it states in the rules) because he wasnt fully prepared for play. The ref asked the tournament director and he was indeed docked a frame. Maguire won the match in the end. The referee didn't see it as an issue until Shaun brought it up.

It has been said there is still a big grudge over that.

If anyone watched the "snooker Tales" piece from the other day, John Virgo and Terry Griffiths were talking about their 1979 UK final.

John mixed up the start time and was a few minutes late (An honest mistake), he was docked two frames & Terry didn't want to accept the two frames as he felt is wasn't fair. The referee however said he had to impose the penalty, and there were no two ways about it.

John ended up winning the match, so it proved meaningless in the end anyway, but Terry showed great sportsmanship unklike Shaun Murphy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Maybe this is the incident I am thinking off and not Stephen Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

celticfc wrote: »
    Stephen Maguire / Shaun Murphy chalk incident

Parallel incident last night.
    Robertson forgot to bring his extension back after the interval and needed it for a shot near the end of the 5th frame.
    The referee rang the 'fourth official' (in soccer speak) to fetch it but it appeared he couldn't find it. Robertson asked to go fetch it himself, the ref was agreeable to this but Murphy stcuk by the letter of the rules and wouldn't let Robertson leave the arena mid frame.
    What a cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Parallel incident last night.
    Robertson forgot to bring his extension back after the interval and needed it for a shot near the end of the 5th frame.
    The referee rang the 'fourth official' (in soccer speak) to fetch it but it appeared he couldn't find it. Robertson asked to go fetch it himself, the ref was agreeable to this but Murphy stcuk by the letter of the rules and wouldn't let Robertson leave the arena mid frame.
    What a cock.
    I seen that. He really does act like a hateful wee fcuker sometimes. Like the kid in class who used to tell tales to the teacher. Definitely bullying issues from his childhood there.

He really doesn't do himself any favours....

Apparantly it is said, when the ref asked Shaun if he minded Neil popping out to get the extension, he said, "Well why dont we all just go out for a cup of tea aswell?" (Or something like that)

I really don't like this.

It was a bit of an avoidable incident tho, Neil could have used the universal extension under the table, afterall he was only clipping off the red to return to baulk. It is not like he needed a whole lot of accuracy for a pot. It was towards the end of the frame anyway, he could have got his extension before the next one started.

Still and all, he may well forget something some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Steve Davis said there was a nasty article about Shaun Murphy in the sunday paper today. Did anybody see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I don't mind him- don't agree with his religious beliefs- he's a born again afaik but I liked him visiting the orphanages before the UK open there in December.

As for the frames- it does seem anal but it's his job and lots of people are anal when it comes to work.

Tough break on the wife but who wants to be married to an anal fat God freak snooker player. Wouldn't blame here but heck, he's okay in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

To be honest I don't mind the chap at all, seems like a decent bloke although he doesn't do himself any favours with a few petty little things

Supposedly he was booed and heckled by a few members of the crowd, anyone know why specifically? Bad form booing at a snooker match!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

celticfc wrote: »
    If anyone watched the "snooker Tales" piece from the other day, John Virgo and Terry Griffiths were talking about their 1979 UK final.

John mixed up the start time and was a few minutes late (An honest mistake), he was docked two frames & Terry didn't want to accept the two frames as he felt is wasn't fair. The referee however said he had to impose the penalty, and there were no two ways about it.

John ended up winning the match, so it proved meaningless in the end anyway, but Terry showed great sportsmanship unklike Shaun Murphy IMO.

Yeah but don't forget griffiths said to JV that he shouldn't feel too bad when he lost the match, it was a simple mistake, etc. JV replied 'you haven't won it yet Terry' and went on to win. Cue :cool: for JV!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I really like the guy...although i have only really started watching snooker this season so i dont really know any of the past incidents. He seems or rather seemed like a very jolly guy in my eyes...although maybe i was wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

He's a smug, pretentious asshole. I have never disliked a snooker player until he came on the scene, that's saying something. I like Ebdon, he's boring but he's a decent person. It's only a matter of time before Shaun Murphy is found out for the complete spineless wankstain he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Dave147 wrote: »
    He's a smug, pretentious asshole. I have never disliked a snooker player until he came on the scene, that's saying something. I like Ebdon, he's boring but he's a decent person. It's only a matter of time before Shaun Murphy is found out for the complete spineless wankstain he is.

Okay well, Im not trying to start an agrument here or anything, but I dont understand how you can get such strong feelings for a player despite the fact you only see him on the table. Surly following the rules of a sport shouldnt make you a wan*sta*n or an a**hole ?

Also back to the rule thing. As much as I agree with you about his bad sportsmanship, its really not fair to ctricise him for following the rules as any player would and should. I guess in each situation its up to the player who your against. Personally I would have let Robertson away with it and let him go back and get his extra piece, but Murphy has the right to say no, Simple as. Rules are rules, and despite what people think, wernt made to be broken in sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Tea Spoon

I've warmed to the fella especially after he won his world title 4 years ago. I think he has matured with age.

All the same if the final had of gone all the way, I would have loved to have seen him be served with divorce papers during the 35th frame! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Okay well, Im not trying to start an agrument here or anything, but I dont understand how you can get such strong feelings for a player despite the fact you only see him on the table. Surly following the rules of a sport shouldnt make you a wan*sta*n or an a**hole ?

Also back to the rule thing. As much as I agree with you about his bad sportsmanship, its really not fair to ctricise him for following the rules as any player would and should. I guess in each situation its up to the player who your against. Personally I would have let Robertson away with it and let him go back and get his extra piece, but Murphy has the right to say no, Simple as. Rules are rules, and despite what people think, wernt made to be broken in sports

I understand where you're coming from, but as someone who's played snooker at a competitive level I can tell you it's probably the one game where everyone is a great sportsman, bar Quinten Hann and now Shaun Murphy, I'll agree that Murphy is a great player but after listening to his interviews and his awful sportsmanship I have come to this conclusion. Also about the stories involving his relationship with his own father and his wife serving him divorce papers. He just seems to be a complete asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

haha I thought it was just me who had an irrational hatred (I know thats a tad strong) for the guy... Smug, chubby, Jesus-freak. He's just an unbearably smarmy little wankfactory.

Advertisement