Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CE licence

• 16-06-2017 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Quick one, anyone know if I need to have a full C before I can take a CE test or can I train to take CE full test and then get C/C1/CE ? Also, do I need to wait 6 months on the C tests like the others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Managed to find the answer within the first few pages of the theory test book!

'Q. What category full licence must a driver hold before applying for a category CE (articulated truck) learner permit? A. C'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

You need C first once you have passed C you can go for CE. Pass C and when going to ndls to get C added onto license get your CE permit at same time. . Full C gets you C1 automatically. And dont forget your medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Cheers!

I'm guessing I need to get the social card then also for the theory test?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcloupj1

I am currently driving buses and coaches. I have also recently passed my C licence and I am considering getting the CE licence. Is learning to drive an artic much more difficult than rigids and coaches. What do you have to concentrate on more so than what I do everyday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Mcloupj1 wrote: »
    I am currently driving buses and coaches. I have also recently passed my C licence and I am considering getting the CE licence. Is learning to drive an artic much more difficult than rigids and coaches. What do you have to concentrate on more so than what I do everyday now.

Biggest thing for me is that you can't see the tail swing on tight turns.
    You also come at corners a bit differently. You still take them wide, but you can over shoot the corner and pivot the trailer around with the unit.
    I don't think I'm explaining myself well but that aspect is actually easier than driving a 11 metre coach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reversing is a bit more difficult - especially a nearside reverse around a corner. Also, visibility via the mirrors is compromised when the tractor unit is at an acute angle with the trailer.

Artics tend to be more comfortable to drive as the movement of the trailer does not impact on the cab in the same way as in a rigid truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I am currently driving buses and coaches. I have also recently passed my C license and I am considering getting the CE license. Is learning to drive an artic much more difficult than rigids and coaches. What do you have to concentrate on more so than what I do everyday now.

Everything you learned about driving busses and ridged trucks apart from checking the mirrors f**k it out the window :P Its the opposite lock for turning etc while reversing.
    Also need to watch out for the shoulder of the trailer kicking out when turning either left or right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Everything you learned about driving busses and ridged trucks apart from checking the mirrors f**k it out the window :P Its the opposite lock for turning etc while reversing.
    Also need to watch out for the shoulder of the trailer kicking out when turning either left or right.

+1 for the trailer kicking out. Happened to me when on a slip road off the M6 one day

Thanks for the advice.Passed first time this week.Reversing the trailer was the hardest thing to get my head around
    I had only 3 minor marks in the test and got it with 9 hours of lessons.

Thanks for the advice.Passed first time this week.Reversing the trailer was the hardest thing to get my head around
    I had only 3 minor marks in the test and got it with 9 hours of lessons.

Which side did the tester get you to reverse on? Well done on the pass.

• Advertisement

The easy side.Reversing around to my right hand side..I would have managed the opposite side also as my instructor was top class.

You were lucky, I had to do a blind side reverse in the compound at Limerick test centre. At least you had the option of belt off/head out the window

I had to reverse on both sides when doing my test, Is it one or the other now?

Same here.

Same here.

Both sides in a rigid, i did blind side in the artic

It's one or the other now.The test ,I did it in Sligo, is 1 hr from when you get into the truck until you finish the reversing at the test centre.

,I did it in Sligo, is 1 hr from when you get into the truck until you finish the reversing at the test centre.
    I did the blind side reverse out on the road somewhere (Raheny I think) and when I arrived back at the test centre in Finglas, I was asked to do the driver's side reverse into the reversing bay there.

If you did the test out of finglas then the reversing would of been done at Denis Mahony garage that's were they use to bring you on the test.
    Well in the 90s anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnkl68

Hi all..I have a C licence since like 1998..I am looking at doing the CE artic..question is do i need to do theory test and cpc to get provisional artic licence ?? I mean I have truck cpc already thanks

Johnkl68 wrote: »
    Hi all..I have a C licence since like 1998..I am looking at doing the CE artic..question is do i need to do theory test and cpc to get provisional artic licence ?? I mean I have truck cpc already thanks

Since you all ready held the C licence prior to 2009 you just need a medical done .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnkl68

Since you all ready held the C licence prior to 2009 you just need a medical done .

Thanks for the input...I was happy with your answer.... I got onto ndls and they said as I am adding to C Licence (CE)I have to do theory test as they have none on file.. as I have cpc truck already I am exempt from that ...

You all ready hold a C licence prior to the money making scam , So you don't need to do the theory test I did the theory test for the bus 2 year ago which was a mix of questions none being particular to artic driving.
    Even the theory test booklet is generic with the questions me thinks the NDLS haven't a clue.

Advertisement