Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English to Irish Gaelic Translation

• 15-06-2020 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone, I'm needing help with an accurate English to Irish Gaelic translation for a tattoo my friend is getting. She wants to make sure she gets an accurate translation of the English word "beloved." (As a term of endearment meaning "deeply loved.") We have found "a mhuirnín" or "mo mhuirnín" but we don't know if those are accurate, and if they are, which one to use.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Personally, I would go with "Mo chroí"

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

They are both correct Sarah.
    Mo = My.
    A is used when addressing someone.

Mo ghrá
    A ghrá
    Mo stór
    A stór
    Mo shearc....all meaning my darling

Grá mo chroí...my heart's beloved
    Mo ghrá geal....my dearest love

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

“Mo mhuirnín “ or “ mo ghrá” for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I hope it's ok to post this here. Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh was recently interviewed on tv for his 90th birthday and offered a word for cocooning. My hearing isn't the best but I thought he said ag crocarú. Can anybody confirm? I can't make any sense of that. Ag crocadh means hanging and doesn't seem to fit. Or does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Croch is also a verb meaning to lift or carry.

It could be in some sense of supporting or carrying the people who are cocooning.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Croch is also a verb meaning to lift or carry.

It could be in some sense of supporting or carrying the people who are cocooning.

Wouldn't the word be crocadh then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

feargale wrote: »
    I hope it's ok to post this here. Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh was recently interviewed on tv for his 90th birthday and offered a word for cocooning. My hearing isn't the best but I thought he said ag crocarú. Can anybody confirm? I can't make any sense of that. Ag crocadh means hanging and doesn't seem to fit. Or does it?
    Would he have said cochallú by any chance?

deirdremf wrote: »

Yes, I think that might be it. Can you tell us more? It's origin?

deirdremf wrote: »

I invested in Ó Mianán's new dictionary today. Micheál's word didn't make it.

Cocooning = cocúnú or fanacht istigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

feargale wrote: »

In the Niall Ó Dónaill dictionary, he has "cluthair" for 'shelter'.
    Also, "tú féin a chlutharú", meaning to make oneself cosy.
    And, "chluthraigh sí í féin faoin éadach", meaning that 'she tucked herself under the (bed-)clothes'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement