Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

April 2020 Babies club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Sprites wrote: »
    All good here.

The motion that is being put forward only proposes an extension of 12 weeks for anyone whose 26 wks leave ends between March and September 2020 so alot of April 2020 mums won't qualify unless its amended.

I've made some enquiries of my local representatives and I tried contacting Brid Smith who is putting forward the motion to ask why they decided on those specific dates and whether they would consider including all mothers affected.

No reply from Brid Smith, vague replies from FF, FG and GP representatives. Sinn Fein representative replied saying that they will support an extension of leave for anyone whose leave terminates between end March and end September and propose a review at the end of September based on availability of childcare and health and safety requirements.

So unless you started your leave in March I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Very unfair in my opinion to differentiate and I'd really like to know the rationale for the dates selected but I suppose they have to cut it off somewhere.

Hi sprites,

Thanks for all that info! Yes it is unfair but as you said there had to be a cut off! Always gonna be someone who just misses out..

Surely half of the April babies will get it as it’s when your maternity starts and not when your baby is born! I know in my job my maternity started March 22nd for a baby due 3rd of April! So up to mid April did those mums have to start maternity leave start in March? Have to finish at 38 weeks but maybe different jobs are different

I really do wonder what the rationale is behind the dates! And sure some of those woman have returned to work at the point?? Is it to do with child care? Crèches should be up and running by October??

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

Pocos wrote: »
    Hi sprites,

Thanks for all that info! Yes it is unfair but as you said there had to be a cut off! Always gonna be someone who just misses out..

Surely half of the April babies will get it as it’s when your maternity starts and not when your baby is born! I know in my job my maternity started March 22nd for a baby due 3rd of April! So up to mid April did those mums have to start maternity leave start in March? Have to finish at 38 weeks but maybe different jobs are different

I really do wonder what the rationale is behind the dates! And sure some of those woman have returned to work at the point?? Is it to do with child care? Crèches should be up and running by October??

Yes Pocos, if your maternity leave started in March you would qualify if the motion passes as currently drafted.

I began my maternity leave in April 3rd so I won't qualify.

I just think its terrible that someone, somewhere has decided that someone who had a baby on 3rd April is entitled to 12 weeks extra leave while someone who had a baby on 17th April is entitled to nothing. I know "someone has to miss out" but when you're that someone missing out by 3 lousy days it will be a bitter pill to swallow.

If they were using childcare availability as the deciding factor then the cut off should be much earlier, as you pointed out childcare opened back up on 29th June so will be well up and running by October.

A close friend of mine works in a creche and said that they have been able to accommodate everyone who has wanted to return their child to creche, maybe the situation is different in larger cities.

Hi sprites,

I totally understand how you would be annoyed to be missing out by a few days! On our first little one we miss out on the free ECCE year by 2 days! So will have to pay for the first ECCE year! So I know how you feel!

It’s a weird date I don’t understand the logic myself of the end of September! Where did it come from I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Hi Nickibaby,

All going well here! Little girl is def settling well! Got 9.30pm till 7am last night so lovely to get good stretches at night! Now if I could get the two year old to do the same I’ll be on the pigs back ;) it’s like they take turns on who’s gonna wake us up!!

Really extending maternity? Where did you see that?

Wow that was a good stretch are you bottle feeding or breast feeding do u mind me asking? I'm breastfeeding and can't complain about the sleep I'm getting to be honest he goes down around 9pm and gets up around 8am but wakes about 3 or 4 times for about 10 minutes at a time for a feed. I'm not sure he is actually hungry or if its more a comfort thing!

It was in the news thanks Sprites for the extra information, I started my maternity leave in march baby was overdue so I'm officially due back 29th September so looks like I might qualify if they do in fact extend it.

I started a fitness class which you can bring your baby to and he behaved thankfully! On the most part he is a good baby but has his moments when he gets over tired!

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    Wow that was a good stretch are you bottle feeding or breast feeding do u mind me asking? I'm breastfeeding and can't complaint about the sleep I'm getting to be honest he goes down around 9pm and gets up around 8am but wakes about 3 or 4 times for about 10 minutes at a time for a feed. I'm not sure he is actually hungry or if its more a comfort thing!

It was in the news thanks Sprites for the extra information, I started my maternity leave in march baby was overdue so I'm officially due back 29th September so looks like I might qualify if they do in fact extend it.

I started a fitness class which you can bring your baby to and he behaved thankfully! On the most part he is a good baby but has his moments when he gets over tired!

Hi
    I’m breastfeeding as well!! Now last night was a rare occasion it’s usually 10pm until 5/6am then down again from 7-10! But look that’s def not a routine or anything that’s just what’s happening this week! God babies change like the wind so who knows what way she will be sleeping next week!!

Regarding multiple feedings do you have a boy or girl? I’ve a girl (second one) and neither were particularly hungry? I’d say we are getting long stretches cos I don’t pick her up unless I absolutely have to! She moans A LOT in her sleep and def if that had been baby number one I would have picked her up and fed her multiple times at night! But as I’m busy with two year old I’m actually just too tired to be up unless I have to! Now that was just me but I def would have fed first baby at night when she didn’t need it! Being more selective with baby number two

Different personality too more relaxed baby, then saying that she’s very fussy today!!! So some days you just have to go with what ever!

Great you will be included with extended maternity if it happens :)

• Advertisement

Sorry just reread your reply and you said he, so my point is my friends babies who are boys tend to be hungrier than girl babies! That’s not fact or anything just my own observation

Thanks Pocos yes he definitely is a hungry baba and in 6 to 9 months clothes at 12 weeks! 😬 I am a first time mom so I might try leave him for a bit longer. He never actually cried at night time just stirs so I could be attending to him too quickly, I have it in my head I don't want him getting in a habit of crying at night so tend to him straight away (I don't know where I got that logic from!)

Also I definately don't have a routine with him he goes back for a little sleep around 9.30am then a nap around 12pm and bed around 9pm but other than that it's just feed whenever he wants, has anyone else got a routine going yet? I'm not sure whether or not I should have a routine.

He can get overtired and a bit cranky so not sure whether I'm missing a trick and could avoid this!

He is generally a happy baba who gives lots of smiles I just want to be doing my best for him!

Also I definately don't have a routine with him he goes back for a little sleep around 9.30am then a nap around 12pm and bed around 9pm but other than that it's just feed whenever he wants, has anyone else got a routine going yet? I'm not sure whether or not I should have a routine.

He can get overtired and a bit cranky so not sure whether I'm missing a trick and could avoid this!

He is generally a happy baba who gives lots of smiles I just want to be doing my best for him!

No routine here, our boy is 12 weeks old and I've just began putting him up to bed around 9 or 9.30, I had been keeping him downstairs with us until we go to bed around 11 but he was getting v cranky so said I'd try putting him up. He does a 3-4 hour stretch after we first put him to bed and then he is up every 1.5 - 2 hours after that for a feed. He has quite bad wind and reflux so after keeping him upright for a while each feed takes around 30 mins. Hes our second and our first had started doing longer stretches by this stage so hoping he might do 3 hours between every feed.

He feeds around every 2 hours during the day. I came across a post the other day on wake times for babies of different ages and it said around the 3 month stage they are capable of wake times between 1.25 - 1.75 hours so I'm trying to put him down for a nap every 1.75 hours, it isnt always successful as he is terrible for sleeping while eating which is a disaster for me trying to get anything done or spend quality time with the 3 yr old.

Some kind of exercise class is next on my list when I can carve out some toddler free time.

Thanks for the reply sprites I'm glad I'm not the only one without a routine so! When you put him down for bed do you put him down and he goes to sleep by himself, my guy only goes asleep on us at the moment by being rocked or falls asleep when feeding and I then transfer him into the crib

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply sprites I'm glad I'm not the only one without a routine so! When you put him down for bed do you put him down and he goes to sleep by himself, my guy only goes asleep on us at the moment by being rocked or falls asleep when feeding and I then transfer him into the crib

He mostly falls asleep when feeding and I try to wind him without waking him so he is often asleep when we put him down. If he wakes during the wind/burping he will usually settle with white noise and a dummy.

I didn't want to use a dummy but we had to resort to it around week 2 to get any sleep.

Day sleeps are a struggle, he will fall asleep on me when feeding and take 10/15 min naps at every feed or he will sleep when out and about in the car or buggy. It's rare we would get a good stretch out of him in the moses basket.

I am going to start clock watching and when I see he has been awake for 1.5 hours I'm going to do my best to get him to have a nap.

If I remember right my first had no routine until around 4 months when a loose routine just kind of appeared. I actually remember thinking I had only just gotten him into a good routine and it was time for me to return to work lol!

I am quite easy going though and could definitely afford to be on the first baby so I let him lead the way as regards feeds and sleeps. If I'm to give time to the toddler and housework this time I will need to place more emphasis on routine!

Anyone any thoughts on weaning yet? Will you do it soon after 17 weeks or wait until 26 weeks? I waited until my 1st was nearly the 6 months. The PHN is normally good for a steer in the right direction on this but I won't be seeing her anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’ll be waiting until 6 months for weaning. I did baby led weaning with my 2.5 year old and he’s a great eater so will do the same with my little girl. The recommendation is around 6 months when they are showing all the signs of readiness unless you are formula feeding and they are drinking the maximum amount of formula allowed.

No routine here either other than aiming for a nap after around 2 hours of wake time. I stressed out so much with my first about his naps so going with the flow much more this time. She goes to sleep for the night around 9.00 and just had her first wake up at 2.00. She’ll probably wake again around 4/4.30 and then every hour after that. Some nights she might was at 12/1 though. My first was a terrible sleeper until 15 months though so I’m kinda used to it!

Hi all nice to hear how others are getting on!

So to stress I have no routine either but am lucky to have a breastfeeding good sleeper! Which I don’t take for granted as sleep is so precarious with babies you never know when the next leap or development is gonna jeopardise it!!!

Oh With my first she so much as moved in the cot id have her up and out Of the bed! This second one is an awful grunter in her sleep and moans! So unless she’s heading towards crying I don’t pick her up! Now I don’t let her cry I don’t have that cry in out in me! But I’m giving her the space to mooch a bit and go back to sleep!

Regarding self soothing we are no where near that at bedtime she’s rocked to sleep generally! The main thing I’ve done differently with this little one is I try not to Feed her to sleep, Now not always possible! The reason is pure selfish I don’t want to have to be the one to put her to sleep! So rocking can be done by anyone and I can walk away once fed! Which to be fair I’m there anyway but nice when I need a mental break from the kids I don’t have to do every bedtime! Found that hard with first!
    Nickibagy like others have said the 1.5 hour wake up is a good rule to go by to avoid over tiredness
    We try follow that here!!

Did anyone try bottle yet? This little one is very hit and miss with weather she’ll take it or not!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I usually found 11/12 weeks was easy to start bringing in a routine on mine.I used to clock watch, every 1.5/2hours since they last woke, was naptime.It is tricky to get right for a week or two but once you do it makes life SO much eaiser when you have more than one because you can get a routine in the day and give time to the older one. Tended to aim to do one nap of the day in a car seat or buggy so we could get out with the older child.But mind you neither my 2nd or 3rd slept in car seats or buggies for any length, past about 16 weeks, so had to try and work with that!Soothers all the way here, no
    1 had reflux so feeding to sleep was not an option.I just sat at the cot with them the first few weeks, until they were happy to drop off by themselves, but it did take a few weeks.

I'm feeling better so that you all don't have routines either! Everyone likes to tell u how they had the perfect routine and baby slept perfectly through the night which makes u feel like u are doing something wrong!

Baby seemed settled but he's started teething now which is upsetting him (and us!) a bit! Fingers crossed he doesn't suffer too badly with them. We gave him the teetha stuff which seems to help 😊 any other tips welcome 😊

Did anyone try bottle yet? This little one is very hit and miss with weather she’ll take it or not!!

I was bottle feeding expressed milk for the first two weeks because baby wouldn't latch and I meant to keep up a bottle every few days but haven't been as regular as I planned. He will still take one though the last time I checked.

My 1st was very reluctant to take a bottle

I'm giving my little guy one bottle most days and he has no problem taking it thankfully

So there was an update on the maternity leave request. 3 extra weeks parents leave coming into force for children born after November 2019

So there was an update on the maternity leave request. 3 extra weeks parents leave coming into force for children born after November 2019

Yes I saw that last week! A big difference from 3 extra months but 3 weeks better than nothing at all!

At least we will all be included in that one!

Is anyone’s little one going to bed at the 7/8 pm mark?? Our LO is great but can’t seem to get her down before 9.30 ish????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Yes I saw that last week! A big difference from 3 extra months but 3 weeks better than nothing at all!

At least we will all be included in that one!

Is anyone’s little one going to bed at the 7/8 pm mark?? Our LO is great but can’t seem to get her down before 9.30 ish????

9.30pm or 10.30pm here but sleeping till 6/7am usually so I’m happy enough with that.

Anyone with a little routine in place or how many naps during the day etc?

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    9.30pm or 10.30pm here but sleeping till 6/7am usually so I’m happy enough with that.

Bedtime here is generally between 9.30 and 10. He will do anywhere from 4 - 6 hours, feed and then wake every two hours for a feed then until we get up around 8.

No routine here as of yet, my 3 year old is going back to the childminder next week so I hope to start nudging him into a loose routine from then.

The extra 3 weeks per parent is certainly welcome. We might be back to work before we can avail of it but it will be handy for sure.

Blingy wrote: »

Ok so looks like everyone who replied is still in the 9.30-10 bedtime!!! We are the same waking at 6/7am then back to sleep ah hour later usually for Another 2-3 hours :) so it’s great no complaints! I just can’t remember when the earlier bedtime happens??

Routine is very loose seems to be about 3 naps a day! Try and get last nap to be over by 7.30pm but other than that just going with the flow! A nap can range from 40 mins to 3 hours!!! So I’ve no idea once she’s asleep when she will wake!!!

Same here its around 9.30am he was doing great last week and did a week of 8pm bed time but back up and then he gets up around 9am. Wakening twice for feeds during that time.

Going down for 3 naps usually for about an hour at a time

Routine is very loose seems to be about 3 naps a day! Try and get last nap to be over by 7.30pm but other than that just going with the flow! A nap can range from 40 mins to 3 hours!!! So I’ve no idea once she’s asleep when she will wake!!!

Same with varying nap times generally around an hour but have lots of 40 minutes or almost 3 hours at a time.

Baby is fighting sleep more the past 2 weeks at night time too not sure if anyone else is having that issue!

Same with varying nap times generally around an hour but have lots of 40 minutes or almost 3 hours at a time.

Baby is fighting sleep more the past 2 weeks at night time too now sure if anyone else is having that issue!

Gotta love the 4 month sleep regression!

Between 9 and 10 most nights here. Works out better for me because I can’t sleep until 10/10.30 and the earlier she goes to sleep the earlier she wakes the first time.

Naps are between 40 mins and an hour. Sometimes 10 mins if her brother is particularly noisy. I don’t stress about it. I remember being obsessed with nap timing and length with my little boy in the hope I’d get some magic combo the make him sleep better at night. Never did so now I just go with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We put our little lad down around 7pm. Quite early but those few hours of down time in the evening is what gets us through the day. He's not great at sleeping during the day and will fight it each time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

bee06 wrote: »
    Gotta love the 4 month sleep regression!

Between 9 and 10 most nights here. Works out better for me because I can’t sleep until 10/10.30 and the earlier she goes to sleep the earlier she wakes the first time.

Naps are between 40 mins and an hour. Sometimes 10 mins if her brother is particularly noisy. I don’t stress about it. I remember being obsessed with nap timing and length with my little boy in the hope I’d get some magic combo the make him sleep better at night. Never did so now I just go with the flow.

I jinxed myself tonight. She’s still awake with no intention of sleeping :D

We put our little lad down around 7pm. Quite early but those few hours of down time in the evening is what gets us through the day. He's not great at sleeping during the day and will fight it each time.

Hi mantis does your little one sleep all night then after going to sleep at 7pm?

We are getting 9pm until about 5/6am which I thought was very good at this age! So not sure when to start moving closer to the 7pm bedtime!

Bee06 I was the same obsessed about naps with baby one! More relaxed this time around and she’s a much better sleeper so far! In saying that though I think the good sleeper vs poor sleeper is as much to do with babies personality rather than anything we do or don’t do?! They have their own ways each of them! Some people can be unlucky with babies who don’t sleep well or sleep for long periods and others can get deep sleepers! Luck of the drawer!

Yes I think it's just luck of the draw Pocos.

I try keep an eye now on how long baby is up rather than obsessing over it. They change so much everyday trying to read him more than the clock on when I need to try put him down for a nap.

• Advertisement

In saying that though I think the good sleeper vs poor sleeper is as much to do with babies personality rather than anything we do or don’t do?! They have their own ways each of them! Some people can be unlucky with babies who don’t sleep well or sleep for long periods and others can get deep sleepers! Luck of the drawer!

Totally agree. My little boy was a terrible sleeper until 15.5 months and then overnight started sleeping through so I really think it’s all developmental and some babies get there sooner than others.

Advertisement