Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hobby Horses of Belief (and assorted hazards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Shockingly lenient sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/church-closes-its-doors-after-flouting-public-health-rules-1.4264864

A church in Blackrock, Co Dublin, closed its doors to the public on Thursday after it was reminded of its responsibilities by the Dublin Archdiocese following reports that dozens of mass-goers have been attending services there in recent weeks.

Government guidelines stipulate that churches should not reopen until phase four of the roadmap to ease restrictions and reopen the country comes into effect on July 20th.

However, members of the public have been physically attending mass at the Church of the Guardian Angels in direct violation of the restrictions.

While the church broadcasts mass daily on its website, it is understood parishioners have been taking up seats behind the cameras at the back of the church.

However, those in attendance appear to have been adhering to social distancing guidelines, with seats positioned two metres apart.

It is unclear whether the Dublin Archdiocese, which has explicitly banned the practice, will take any action against the priests involved. However, it is understood they have been contacted and reminded of their responsibilities.

In a statement on Thursday, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin pointed to a policy statement on the parish’s website which “unambiguously” states: “Public attendance at daily or Sunday mass is not permissible during the current pandemic.”

Archbishop Martin said: “I am assured that the parish has now returned to that policy.

“This Irish church is working intensely to ensure that the reopening of churches for public worship will be take place in a manner and at a time that is safe.

“I appeal to all churches in the Archdiocese of Dublin to adhere strictly to public policy, even if it involves patience and personal suffering.”

Archbishop Martin added that the Irish Bishops Conference will shortly publish a detailed document and checklist regarding the steps that each parish must take before the reopening of churches.

“What is involved is more than simple social distancing,” he said. “A vital dimension of the fight to address the coronavirus crisis is public health policy that proposes a sequenced effort to ensure that the reopening of diverse elements of society is properly and safely managed.

“The current public health policy has required sacrifice on the part of all of us. People have accepted that. I think of those who have had to bury a loved one without the normal process of grieving, with funeral rites limited to a bare minimum. We must show respect for those whose sacrifice has been greatest.

“Public health policy will only work when its proposals and sequencing are fully respected by all. There is no room for self-dispensation from or self-interpretation of the norms.

“Jumping the queue by individuals or communities puts everyone at risk. I have reminded all parishes this week that disregard for the norms of public health is something that is unacceptable.”

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Considering the number of people in their 'Sunday best' we see wandering about near the local churches in West Kerry on Sundays, I'm sure there are masses going on behind closed doors throughout the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Reading a piece on the RTE website this morning where riot police were used to clear the crowds to give Trump a photo opportunity to hold up a bible. While I often give off about the RCC and Christianity I wonder are these guys even practicing the same religion. Absolutely heinous stuff.

001488ce-614.jpg

001488c9-614.jpg

And the inevitable Godwinning follows. People say the European project is in crisis but the states look are looking every bit as shaky.

101866013_10220240539476205_5346659604010893312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=KZiTU8yGqJIAX_hK9rr&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=07ba056e4f980452baef5b1354e11a4a&oe=5EFD9A27

PLBT7MG7Z5BWGTW7BQT2OOYBDI.jpg

• Advertisement

And the church aren't too pleased about it either, from the beeb

"The Episcopal Bishop of Washington, the Right Reverend Mariann Budde, said: "The president just used a Bible, the most sacred text of the Judeo-Christian tradition, and one of the churches of my diocese, without permission, as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus.""

If Christian God ever wanted to prove his existence to the heathens he certainly seems to have missed out on an ideal 'pillar of salt' opportunity with that one :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Seems to be a lot of religious pushback, at least from the Episcopalians whose church it is and theological nitpicking aside, honestly, I can't say I disagree with any of it.

https://twitter.com/revgregbrewer/status/1267610896513282051
    https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1267630231055204355

Elsewhere, the normally reliable people over in Bellingcat are suggesting that the police are actively targeting media organizations:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2020/05/31/us-law-enforcement-are-deliberately-targeting-journalists-during-george-floyd-protests/

Here are the cops taking out an Australian TV crew, live:

https://twitter.com/sunriseon7/status/1267587976986427393

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Odhinn

This is just bizarre

Speaking in the White House Rose Garden on Friday, Mr Trump said: "We all saw what happened last week. We can't let that happen.
    "Hopefully George is looking down and saying this is a great thing that's happening for our country. A great day for him. It's a great day for everybody."
    He added: "This is a great, great day in terms of equality."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52941258

• Advertisement

The guy has gone full (that word which can never be mentioned, no not the N word, the other one)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The guy has gone full (that word which can never be mentioned, no not the N word, the other one)

Reformation?
    Reparation?

Pineappleonpizza???

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Reformation?
    Reparation?

Pineappleonpizza???

Was wondering that myself. Westboro baptist perhaps? The man strikes me as entirely batshít crazy at this point and quite probably an embarrassment even to those hard right conservatives that keep him in power. I've seen more common sense in a packet of fruit loops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's the famous theory that he's addicted to calpol. i think he's addicted to his own douchebaggery, and the fact that people can't say no to him anymore, so like any addict, keeps having to up the dose of his own douchebagness to get the same hit from it.

that, and the fact that there are some psychological issues he needs to talk through.

there's the famous theory that he's addicted to calpol. i think he's addicted to his own douchebaggery, and the fact that people can't say no to him anymore, so like any addict, keeps having to up the dose of his own douchebagness to get the same hit from it.

that, and the fact that there are some psychological issues he needs to talk through.

Indeed. Americans often talk about the need for checks and balances. Once you give any individual this amount of power it strikes me that you need regular checks for imbalances. Personally I find it deeply disturbing that in a modern democracy an elderly infant can be allowed throw tantrums that can wreak so much havoc, hurt and pain. I wonder is there a bold step in the White house?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

adderall apparently

Last month, Russia opened a brand, spanking new Main Cathedral of the Russian Armed Forces - a cavernous, khaki-colored building which looks like it was designed for Mordor, but actually resides in in Patriot Park, a 13,500 acre theme park devoted to Russian military activities some 60k west of Moscow. With so much historically- or aesthetically-offensive kitsch on offer in the building, it's hard to say what's the worst, though the Grinning Alien Door (fourth photo, Moscow Times article) would certainly be near the top of most lists. In a rare, and possibly unique, nod to taste, the builders decided not to include mosaics of Stalin and Putin, though they'd been included in the original design.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/06/15/russia-inaugurates-grandiose-armed-forces-cathedral-a70567
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/main-cathedral-of-the-russian-armed-forces

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

robindch wrote: »
    Last month, Russia opened a brand, spanking new Main Cathedral of the Russian Armed Forces - a cavernous, khaki-colored building which looks like it was designed for Mordor, but actually resides in in Patriot Park, a 13,500 acre theme park devoted to Russian military activities some 60k west of Moscow. With so much historically- or aesthetically-offensive kitsch on offer in the building, it's hard to say what's the worst, though the Grinning Alien Door (fourth photo, Moscow Times article) would certainly be near the top of most lists. In a rare, and possibly unique, nod to taste, the builders decided not to include mosaics of Stalin and Putin, though they'd been included in the original design.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/06/15/russia-inaugurates-grandiose-armed-forces-cathedral-a70567
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/main-cathedral-of-the-russian-armed-forces

Was patriarch Kirill wearing the fancy wristwatch do you think?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111924158&postcount=9734

De Buurkes are back!

On the last day I was in work before lockdown they were back protesting outside Arthur Cox against injustice!!1!1!!1!

Now it's this - note the "realJosiahBurke" nod to Trump:

https://twitter.com/realJosiahBurke/status/1272833343839707136?s=20

Of course what he's really at is getting all of his nutter fundie chums to click on the Nazional-Zocialst Partei feed... if he had a criticism of them, it would be that they were too liberal if anything!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111924158&postcount=9734

De Buurkes are back!

On the last day I was in work before lockdown they were back protesting outside Arthur Cox against injustice!!1!1!!1!

Now it's this - note the "realJosiahBurke" nod to Trump:

https://twitter.com/realJosiahBurke/status/1272833343839707136?s=20

Of course what he's really at is getting all of his nutter fundie chums to click on the Nazional-Zocialst Partei feed... if he had a criticism of them, it would be that they were too liberal if anything!

No way am I clicking on that - and not only because the still frame was enough to give me the willies.

• Advertisement

As a parent (don't you hate it when people start a message with that?), I have to acknowledge they must have some serious skillz to keep their kids that indoctrinated and deluded in the modern information age.

How do they do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

As a parent (don't you hate it when people start a message with that?), I have to acknowledge they must have some serious skillz to keep their kids that indoctrinated and deluded in the modern information age.

How do they do it?

they cut them off from the modern information age or they only let them see the part they approve of

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

And there is the evil algorithm too. There is so MUCH information in the Modern Information Age that we rely on the algorithm more and more. And if you go down a rabbit hole of indoctrination then the algorithm is going to support the parents in this, by continuously suggesting the same kinds of content more and more to them and their children.

maybe teenage rebellion in their house was joining Continuity SSPX :)

Igotadose wrote: »
    Was patriarch Kirill wearing the fancy wristwatch do you think?
    A fancy one - almost certainly. The fancy one - I'd say that one's been stuck in a drawer for just over eight years.

Mafia Don's now-infamous tear-gas-and-rubber-bullets photo-op a few weeks back actually involved two churches - the well-known bible photo-op at St. John's Episcopal Church (without the permission of the owners), and a less-well-known swing past a statue of JPII at the Saint John Paul II National Shrine (again, seemingly without the permission of the owners).

The second visit seems to have been suggested/facilitated by a group called The Knights of Columbus, a moderately large company principally involved in the insurance business, and which seems to cater principally to the catholic community.

Anyway, following the photo-op, a senior member of the Knights sat down, wrote and published a splendid snorter, and hung up his hat for good:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/priestly-diary/im-done-knights-columbus

maybe teenage rebellion in their house was joining Continuity SSPX :)
    "Continuty SSPX" - that's what our own extended family calls the group in which Popette finds her spiritual fulfilment - the actual name being "SSPX Resistance" which is a hardline splinter group which formed from the SSPX, and which holds that the SSPX are a bunch of lackluster, lily-livered liberals. The SSPX, of course, is a hardline splinter group which holds that the mainstream RCC are a bunch of lackluster, lily-livered liberals.

De Buurkes are back!
    Would I be right in thinking that Mr Burke is the Irish answer to English ubertroll Darren Grimes?

I've always wondered that about €800 watches never mind €80k ones. Do people actually wear them? Wouldn't you be terrified of banging it off the car door / cat litter tray / whatever ?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    The second visit seems to have been suggested/facilitated by a group called The Knights of Columbus, a moderately large company principally involved in the insurance business, and which seems to catering principally to the catholic community.

Anyway, following the photo-op, a senior member of the Knights sat down, wrote and published a splendid snorter, and hung up his hat for good:

https://www.ncronline.org/news/opinion/priestly-diary/im-done-knights-columbus

Only two letters off our own unlovely and unloved crowd.

What they get up to in a country like the US which mostly has no time for them and never did, is probably tolerable enough

What they got up to in this country was despicable and a perfect example of power gone mad.

Advertisement