Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild Camping Tent

• 20-08-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

So, I am looking for a 2 man tent that will do in the Irish weather all year round, not necessarily snow/ice, not planning on going if there's snow. But needs to hold up in wind and rain. No leaks, no collapsing etc.

I am not sure what weight tent is too much to hike with. Considering 2 to 3 nights at most wild camping.
    Looking online I am guessing 4lbs or less is ok. Needs to be light enough for one person to carry, and pack size small enough to fit in 65L pack.

I've looked at loads of tents online and they all sound great at first but then I read the reviews and there's always an issue, like leaks, condensation, etc.

The ones I like are too heavy or too expensive or possibly overkill (would do in snow/ice/everest etc)

Has anyone used any of these.....I realise they are not under 4 lbs but I do like them. There are sooo many, too many to mention.
    fjallraven abisko lite 2 or 1
    fjallraven abisko shape 2
    rejka antao light xl 2
    MSR Elixir 2
    MSR Hubba tour 2
    ANY MSR tent

Would love to hear of other tents others use backpacking in Ireland that don't leak, not too heavy etc etc.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭flos1964

Have you considered the crua tents? ...certainly claim to handle any weather conditions...maybe heavier than you want but look the part...i would be interested to hear what you think of them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WannaGetFit

flos1964 wrote: »
    Have you considered the crua tents? ...certainly claim to handle any weather conditions...maybe heavier than you want but look the part...i would be interested to hear what you think of them ...

I did look at them. Look good alright but was thinking weight is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭tphase

Nordisk make some very light tents. I've a Telemark 2, ~1kg without the groundsheet. Single pole design so not a huge amount of room, but that's the trade-off you make to reduce weight
    If you shop around, you can find them discounted occasionally. I got mine from outdoorfair.de, but also check sites like bike24.com or asadventure.com
    Also take a look at Helsport (friend of mine has one which he's very happy with).

https://nordisk.eu
    https://www.helsport.no/produkter/telt?___store=english

I don't like American tents generally as they tend to have too much mesh and I find them cold for our climate.
    Don't forget to buy a groundsheet to fit your tent....

tphase wrote: »
    Nordisk make some very light tents. I've a Telemark 2, ~1kg without the groundsheet. Single pole design so not a huge amount of room, but that's the trade-off you make to reduce weight
    If you shop around, you can find them discounted occasionally. I got mine from outdoorfair.de, but also check sites like bike24.com or asadventure.com
    Also take a look at Helsport (friend of mine has one which he's very happy with).

https://nordisk.eu
    https://www.helsport.no/produkter/telt?___store=english

I don't like American tents generally as they tend to have too much mesh and I find them cold for our climate.
    Don't forget to buy a groundsheet to fit your tent....

Thanks. They are interesting options.
    Do you have the LW Telemark or ULW? Have you had it out it a good bit of wind and rain? Any leaks?
    Do you know which Helsport your friend has?

Thanks. They are interesting options.
    Do you have the LW Telemark or ULW? Have you had it out it a good bit of wind and rain? Any leaks?
    Do you know which Helsport your friend has?
    LW Telemark. The ULW version was too rich for my blood

Had it in Scotland in June. Fuc&ing horrendous weather.
    Held up to the wind OK, minor issue with condensation which was my own fault (fabric stretches sags a bit when wet as all tents do. Normally you just retension the guys but I was too lazy and the outer made contact with the inner)
    no leaks - that's a fairly basic requirement :)

Mates' Helsport is a Ringstind 2, similar sort of design to the Telemark but a little heavier

• Advertisement

LW Telemark. The ULW version was too rich for my blood

Had it in Scotland in June. Fuc&ing horrendous weather.
    Held up to the wind OK, minor issue with condensation which was my own fault (fabric stretches sags a bit when wet as all tents do. Normally you just retension the guys but I was too lazy and the outer made contact with the inner)
    no leaks - that's a fairly basic requirement :)

Mates' Helsport is a Ringstind 2, similar sort of design to the Telemark but a little heavier

Ye, no leaks is a basic requirement. However, reading reviews it seems manufacturers change how the tents are made every few years and sometimes make them worse, have seen reviews saying a 2016 tent was brilliant with no leaks but 2018 was changed and now leaks etc etc.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Most half decent tents won't leak as such, at least not when newish and well kept. As mentioned above, water can get in when the wind beats against one side and pushes the outer flysheet against the inner or against you or belongings if no inner. So as long as you keep the outer properly pegged out, with guy ropes if required, then should be fine. The fabric will loosen when wet so you often need to readjust the pegs in wet weather. But then be careful if the wind / sun dries out everything very quickly as the fabric will shrink back and can over tighten.

Used Vango tents for backpacking, mountain camping in Ireland and were fine. But no idea what current models are like.

Ye, no leaks is a basic requirement. However, reading reviews it seems manufacturers change how the tents are made every few years and sometimes make them worse, have seen reviews saying a 2016 tent was brilliant with no leaks but 2018 was changed and now leaks etc etc.
    some manufacturers no longer seam seal their tents, you get a tube of Aquaseal with your new tent and instructions on how to seal it yourself
    BarryD2 wrote:
    As mentioned above, water can get in when the wind beats against one side and pushes the outer flysheet against the inner or against you or belongings if no inner.
    That's condensation, not water leaking in
    BarryD2 wrote:
    Used Vango tents for backpacking, mountain camping in Ireland and were fine. But no idea what current models are like.
    My first tent was a Vango Micro 100, got it in 2000. Still usable though maybe not completely waterproof and the outer would likely disintegrate under any great pressure. Good little tent, well designed and stood up to some serious weather in its' time. There was one that looked like new on sale on Adverts for €60 not too long ago - I'd have been tempted if I hadn't already got my Telemark

Vangos seem a bit heavy for hiking, no?

Vangos seem a bit heavy for hiking, no?
    how heavy is too heavy? Vango have a few tents around 2kg or less - if that's too much, maybe you need this

500g but a little too tight space-wise for my liking....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have two backpacking tents, a Hilleberg Unna @ 2.2kg and a Vaude Hogan UL @ 1.8kg.
    Both, I'd consider lightweight.....modern rucksacks balance out loads very nicely. Lifting a packed rucksack off the ground feels heavy but when it's on your back......nothing really if balanced.

The Vaude above seems smaller of the two and the Hilleberg is a nice interior size, really like it. Built well.
    fAQdFYYl.jpg
    hwupIs0l.jpg

how heavy is too heavy? Vango have a few tents around 2kg or less - if that's too much, maybe you need this

500g but a little too tight space-wise for my liking....

I am looking for a 2 man. 1.5Kg preferably.
    I don't see any Vangos at 2Kgs or less. Must be looking on the wrong Vango site??

DP

I am looking for a 2 man. 1.5Kg preferably.
    I don't see any Vangos at 2Kgs or less. Must be looking on the wrong Vango site??

There is a relationship between durability and weight. For good reason. So to some extent your requirements are a bit at odds with each other, particularly at the mid range end perhaps??

If you wanna go really light, then maybe a tarpaulin or fancy bivvy bag :)

Planet X wrote: »
    Have two backpacking tents, a Hilleberg Unna @ 2.2kg and a Vaude Hogan UL @ 1.8kg.
    Both, I'd consider lightweight.....modern rucksacks balance out loads very nicely. Lifting a packed rucksack off the ground feels heavy but when it's on your back......nothing really if balanced.

The Vaude above seems smaller of the two and the Hilleberg is a nice interior size, really like it. Built well.
    fAQdFYYl.jpg
    hwupIs0l.jpg

Thanks. Food for thought.

I can't help leaning towards a tunnel type with big vestible.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    There is a relationship between durability and weight. For good reason. So to some extent your requirements are a bit at odds with each other, particularly at the mid range end perhaps??

You are right. I have spent weeks trawling through websites looking for the perfect 2 man tunnel, light weight, big vestible, good durabable tent.
    Hard to find
    :)

You are right. I have spent weeks trawling through websites looking for the perfect 2 man tunnel, light weight, big vestible, good durabable tent.
    Hard to find
    :)

Let us know what you settle on.

BarryD2 wrote: »

Agreed.
    Don't go too light or in certain weather conditions the tent will get damaged.
    Hilltop camping is a tricky gig re: wind etc.

I went with Nordisk Oppland 2 LW

https://nordisk.co.uk/oppland-2-lw/forest-green/p/560

I didn't pay the price on the website though. Searched and searched and found it a couple hundred less.

I like the vestible size.

1.7KG. Not the lightest, not the heaviest.

Got the footprint also.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I didn't pay the price on the website though. Searched and searched and found it a couple hundred less.

Got the footprint also.

Wow, I have just realised the overall length of the fly. 430cm!! Huge!!
    Makes camping in woods more difficult. Oh well :eek:

• Advertisement

Wow again, looks huge for that weight. Happy camping.

Tried camping in the woods.......extremely difficult in pine forests in Wicklow, but there are areas where I've fitted in.
    NGNDBPXl.jpg

Got the footprint also.

That's a nice roomy tent. I have the ultra-heavy version - twice the weight of yours but it's only for car camping. Got it for under €200biggrin.png

That's a nice roomy tent. I have the ultra-heavy version - twice the weight of yours but it's only for car camping. Got it for under €200biggrin.png

When I started looking first I thought 200 was expensive but as time went on it seemed like a bargain ðŸ‘

So I got the https://nordisk.co.uk/oppland-2-lw/forest-green/p/560 today.

Have to admit it does seem a bit flimsy.
    1/2 hour to pitch first time.
    13 minutes to take down and pack.
    22 minutes to pitch second time including footprint.

Vestible is HUGE. A person could definitely sleep there.
    With wind the fly brushes up against inner.
    Is this normal in tents?
    Maybe I just don't have it pitched perfect?

So I got the https://nordisk.co.uk/oppland-2-lw/forest-green/p/560 today.

Have to admit it does seem a bit flimsy.
    1/2 hour to pitch first time.
    13 minutes to take down and pack.
    22 minutes to pitch second time including footprint.

Vestible is HUGE. A person could definitely sleep there.
    With wind the fly brushes up against inner.
    Is this normal in tents?
    Maybe I just don't have it pitched perfect?

With practice, pitching time will come down

If you keep the inner connected so it goes up as one, that speeds things up a bit.

Ideally you'd pitch end-on to the wind to minimise the risk of the fly brushing against the inner. If it does, you need to re-tension your guys. I don't think you can completely eliminate it happening but with practice, you can minimise it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

I have the msr elixir 3. We bought it for 2 of us plus 2 60l packs. It's too big really but a cracking tent and can be bought cheap on eBay. Light, strong and easy to put up. It's been all over Scotland wild camping in all weather's. Highly recommended by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Out of curiosity OP did you want a 2 man tent for 2 people or for the extra space. I have the MSR elixir 2 which I'm considering selling to replace with an elixir 1 specifically for the reason mentioned above, It can be hard to get a large foot print shoe horned into a forest floor and the MSR elixir 2 has a very generous vestibule. I have recently gone down the hammock/tarp route and whilst it is good I do like the space a tent offer when the weather turns for the worse.

I also picked up a wild country by terra nova for short trips and trying to keep weight down. I have to say it's a great little tent but obviously not as much room as the dome style tents. Money no object I'd be going for the hilleberg planet x linked to but they're mental money altogether but in saying that I must have 6 or 7 tents I've swapped out or upgraded and probably should've got the hilleberg from the outset.

I have the msr elixir 3. We bought it for 2 of us plus 2 60l packs. It's too big really but a cracking tent and can be bought cheap on eBay. Light, strong and easy to put up. It's been all over Scotland wild camping in all weather's. Highly recommended by me.

I love how it goes up so quick. The pole structure looks great.
    I thought the vestible looked a bit small on the 2 man but could be wrong.
    I am glad to hear it manages in all weathers as I did see a few reviews saying it leaked since MSR seal the seams differently now.
    What year is it?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Out of curiosity OP did you want a 2 man tent for 2 people or for the extra space. I have the MSR elixir 2 which I'm considering selling to replace with an elixir 1 specifically for the reason mentioned above, It can be hard to get a large foot print shoe horned into a forest floor and the MSR elixir 2 has a very generous vestibule. I have recently gone down the hammock/tarp route and whilst it is good I do like the space a tent offer when the weather turns for the worse.

I also picked up a wild country by terra nova for short trips and trying to keep weight down. I have to say it's a great little tent but obviously not as much room as the dome style tents. Money no object I'd be going for the hilleberg planet x linked to but they're mental money altogether but in saying that I must have 6 or 7 tents I've swapped out or upgraded and probably should've got the hilleberg from the outset.

I was looking for extra space. Hate not having enough :D
    I like the MSRs except I honestly thought the vestible was small, and I thought the fly doesn't come down to the ground enough for me.
    I do like the free standing feature though.
    I do wish the tunnel tent I bought was free standing but can't have everything unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

I love how it goes up so quick. The pole structure looks great.
    I thought the vestible looked a bit small on the 2 man but could be wrong.
    I am glad to hear it manages in all weathers as I did see a few reviews saying it leaked since MSR seal the seams differently now.
    What year is it?

Not sure of exact year but we have had it 18 months or so. We bought it new from eBay but they may have had it in stock for a while. We went camping in the Ochills here in Scotland, camped in the dark on a wet, windy night. Woke up in an absolute downpour and realised we were camped in a wind tunnel. There were turbines at each end of the Glen. Stayed 3 days as the weather just got worse. It threw everything at that tent and it didn't miss a beat. Not a drop inside and the outer was touching the inner all the time as the prevailing wind was strong.

We got the tent after our old outwell got absolutely destroyed in an unexpected storm on neist point on the isle of Skye. I believe this tent would have withstood it. The seams look strong. I was concerned about the high gap on the fly but it has not been an issue. We got the 3 man as we carry big packs on multiday walks and we thought the vestibules were small and we planned to bring them in but they take our big packs no issue with room to get by. It's worked out well as we have a baby due next month so we will have room for her next season. We are out in it most weekends early spring to late autumn. Can't fault it.

Advertisement