Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzle Caches

• 03-02-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

So I have spent today trying to solve some puzzle caches. It was something to do on rainy days. I have however quickly learned that I suck majorily at solving them.

Are there any tips or tricks people have picked up that can help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

sarumite wrote: »
    Are there any tips or tricks people have picked up that can help?

Cheat where possible! :pac:

I'm not sure if there are any general hints seeing as each one is different. I'm fairly bad at them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I thought as much myself. I was wondering if there are general trends with each puzzle cache a slight variation on underlying themes. Some of the ones I have been looking at, I truly haven't a clue as to where to start. When I read peoples logs where they say the puzzle was easily solved, its not really good for the soul :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

The Puzzle ones can be Tuff
    But some will include a check website where you can enter what yo think the final cords are and it tells you if you are right or Wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gjfrazer

A german geocacher told me he checks up stuff on the internet for answers to puzzles, then works out the co ordinates to the actual cache so that he can go straight to that place & avoid the actual starting point of the puzzle. I haven't really tired puzzles yet, but i found the starting point for one today and took photos of the area so i'm hoping to solve the puzzle from the photos & try to find the cache the next time i'm in the area, hopefully it will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

I've tried the puzzle caches a few times but they are mainly for elites and as I geocache with my kids (all under 10) I don't see the point. Also, the expert nature of some of them is akin to putting someone in front of a car engine and saying point to the regulator. Without help you just walk away thinking "this is a waste of time".

Just my two bobs worth and mainly because of the context I cache in (with kids, for the adventure).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 GoldCircle

I've got to contest the idea that puzzles are for 'elites'.

There are no 'elites' in geocaching - we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. And we all play our own game - be it the challenge, exercise, hiking, keeping the kids occupied, adventure etc.

Certainly, not every puzzle is solvable by everyone - I've solved lots - and failed at even more.

Very many simply require a 'click' - that moment when the clouds part and you hear angelic harp music... and all becomes clear.

If you believe it's not for you - well, then it certainly will not be for you, because you chose to exclude yourself. I bring my kids (5 &7) caching all the time - and puzzle caches are no different in the field. I solve them at home, the kids accompany me.

Here's a nice primer to help you approach the seemingly impossible puzzles: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC25WQJ

And don't forget a '?' is a catch all category - you never really know what's going on until you look - some are field puzzles that kids will adore solving! ,

Advertisement