Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your wish list.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

In the car world (BMW is the one I know about) they often take a tried andd tested engine block like the legendary 6 Cylinder and fettle it into the high end models like the M car engines. Now the m car engines are totally reworked, finer tollerances, better parts etc but at the end of the day it started life as a bog standard 6 cylinder block. Aston martin mow put AMG engines in their cars instead of making their own engines. 4 Wheel drive units are all from the same few suppliers, the gearboxes are nearly all from a supplier call ZF.

The in house thing is funny. I suppose its romantic to think of a craftman making every component of the watch but really it doesnt happen these days, Even the likes of Daniels and now Smith dont make main springs.

Take the AP Chrono calibre 2385, same calibre is used in the VC Offshore Chrono, its in house for AP but not for VC that makes no sense that you would care its a good movement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    In the car world (BMW is the one I know about) they often take a tried andd tested engine block like the legendary 6 Cylinder and fettle it into the high end models like the M car engines. Now the m car engines are totally reworked, finer tollerances, better parts etc but at the end of the day it started life as a bog standard 6 cylinder block.
    Yep. Honda did the same with their R engines, Ford took the mundane if bulletproof cast iron block used in Cortinas and the like, slapped a twin cam head on it and jammed in a turbo and the Cosworth one of the most successful racing engines ever was born. Lotus made a point of taking outside mundane engines and fettling them. It's a big thing in the car world and is actually seen as a good thing to take a tried and tested base, even a bought in lump from another brand and rock it out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, cars do it but guess what? Cars aren't watches and something in the car world doesn't necessarily transfer to the watch world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As TF noted earlier Citizen, Seiko and Sea-Gull are "inhouse" and have been forever. I could add the French LIP and Mortima to the list. Mortima, the now defunct purveyor of very cheap and cheerful watches were more inhouse than any Swiss. they made everything in the factory, dials, cases, hands etc, even their own straps, jewels and springbars. And haute couture watchmaking they were not. :D American brands were far more inhouse, when they were still around. Of the Swiss brands? Well the Swiss had always outsourced from the early days. Initially with handmade parts and then when industrialisation came along(nicked from the Americans) they continued that parts bin trend. Well it worked and worked very well.

When the wristwatch came along the Swiss brands would buy cases from company A, very often movements from company B, dials from company C and so on. Rolex were the king of this. In the early days they weren't a manufacturer at all, more like a parts assembly house/wholesaler. A rare few like Zenith, IWC(who were more known as movement makers until the 40's) and Longines were movement wise fully inhouse until the late 60's. Few enough of any of the rest were.

People originally bought watches depending on the retailer, often by the jewel count, then came the brand name(again an American import notion, Rolex being the pioneer of that in the rest of the anglosphere), the movements or where they originated would have barely been in the mix for 99% of customers.

Now I do get why it's a wish/concern for buyers today, but it's quite the more recent concern.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    As TF noted earlier Citizen, Seiko and Sea-Gull are "inhouse" and have been forever. I could add the French LIP and Mortima to the list. Mortima, the now defunct purveyor of very cheap and cheerful watches were more inhouse than any Swiss. they made everything in the factory, dials, cases, hands etc, even their own straps, jewels and springbars. And haute couture watchmaking they were not. :D American brands were far more inhouse, when they were still around. Of the Swiss brands? Well the Swiss had always outsourced from the early days. Initially with handmade parts and then when industrialisation came along(nicked from the Americans) they continued that parts bin trend. Well it worked and worked very well.

When the wristwatch came along the Swiss brands would buy cases from company A, very often movements from company B, dials from company C and so on. Rolex were the king of this. In the early days they weren't a manufacturer at all, more like a parts assembly house/wholesaler. A rare few like Zenith, IWC(who were more known as movement makers until the 40's) and Longines were movement wise fully inhouse until the late 60's. Few enough of any of the rest were.

People originally bought watches depending on the retailer, often by the jewel count, then came the brand name(again an American import notion, Rolex being the pioneer of that in the rest of the anglosphere), the movements or where they originated would have barely been in the mix for 99% of customers.

Now I do get why it's a wish/concern for buyers today, but it's quite the more recent concern.

We should add Vostok to the list of "inhouse manufacturers" too :pac:

• Advertisement

True dat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Or casio. My g-shock has an in house movement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    If I get one I will likely engrave the movement also. Though that does mean I can’t spend 15-20 minutes talking about the box it came in on YouTube before returning it for a refund but that is a cross I will carry.

What like some kind of bargain basement Tim Mosso droning into the camera for circa 15-20 minutes? That would be a sad thing to do, worthy of pity.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Or casio. My g-shock has an in house movement

But the in house thing is really overplayed and draws very arbitrary lines in the sand as to where original design and manufacture starts and ends. Zenith Daytona owners are not fussed, and in more complicated watches you often find heavily modified valjoux movements (speedmaster reduced) or ETA chrono modules etc.

The very real irony is that the Royal Oak Chrono which the Casioak apes is not in house, its based on the F. Piguet 1185 movement and is regarded as one of the best chrono movements of all time. AP have an in house chrono movement in the Offshores but they are too big to fit in the slimmer royal oak case.

I consider the obsession with in house movements to be a rather new thing and also one that does not withstand any level of historical or logical reduction. No a basic unmodified ETA 2824 Elabore is not good enough in a 5k plus watch but neither would an in house movement convince me that a cristopher ward watch or a Bremont less of a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Well you’d still be waiting on a hulk so not too bad

• Advertisement

Tried one on today. Still like it. Would be a Rolex I would buy. But not sure I would wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear @893bet - that is class

All the Rolex fans are going to shoot me now but I fancy a pre-ceramic bluesy. But I don't really like the two tone bracelet. So thought is to buy a sub date, get a bluesy dial and blue aluminium bezel insert and get it modified 🤪

Fully reversible obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Wouldn't it be easier to change the bracelet on the bluesy? 😄

That’s hardly the JLC I messaged you about last year ?No papers with it

No. But it came from this parish at the bottom of one of the regulars watch drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You spend more time trading watches in carparks than even the most dedicated dogger😉

Great to look back over the old posts on this thread and see where folk went.

I'd love to add a Bregeut XXI and a Sinn Damazsener or 1 of their GMT chronos.

Don't know what I'd move on to add them tho.

It would be far more expensive to go that route. Bracelets cost a fortune. A sub is about a grand cheaper than a bluesy, a genuine bluesy dial is about €400-500 and a bezel insert less than €100

If I went the bluesy route and had to change the bracelet, I'd probably buy a jubilee to be even more different 😂

But when you return to original condition the bracelet is way more scalable than the blue dial and bezel.

• Advertisement

If / when I return to original, it is back to being the sub date that I bought. Even if that leaves me with the dial / bezel insert that might be unsellable (in Ireland), it won't have cost me much

Sub date is always an easier sell than a bluesy

Thanks for your input though and that of the others, I have never done anything like this before or even considered it. Damn Rolex, they simply won't make the watch that I want 😂

And for the life of me, I haven't found any pictures of anyone done the same but then with a steel jubilee. Have seen a pre ceramic bluesy with a TT super jubilee with hidden clasp from a DJ alright, which was quite tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bluesy not a bit purple for all that no ? I can’t imagine it looking like you expect

• Registered Users Posts: 30 goonso

I had never opened this thread before, opened it today and was directed to the first page and noticed the JLC.

Skipped then straight to the last page ttgo to the most current posts and saw it again

Great to see that after such an old thread was started you got the watch you wanted.Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

I intend over the next 3 (maybe 4) years to move from the Steinhart above to the Omega below.

The only problem at the minute is trying to figure out what the in between watches will be. There aren't any watches in the €2k & €5k bracket that I can say I would like that much.

Yeah it seems most of them have aged to a very dark sunburst blue almost purple. I really like that. That said, I have to try one on again, I just dismissed them in the past off hand as being too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Purely on the wish, rather than any active effort, list...

A Speedmaster Mark 4.5

I love the dial, and the movement is a marvel for the time.

My favourite automatic Speedmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

For me... My stretch goal is to get this on my wrist in the next 3(ish) years. Life can throw some curve-balls, so let's see how that shapes up but thats the goal right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

My list is all over the place but here it is warts and all.

Casio G Shock metal

Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 410z movement

Rolex GMT-Master II 16713, faded aluminum bezel and chocolate dial ideally on a jubilee if possible

Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duoface Tribute Duoface Calendar 3918420

A. Lange & Söhne Grand Lange 1

and for some reason I am really liking the retro Omega Seamaster 300 heritage in black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement