Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Lithuanian Clothing Charity Collectors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I also heard some of them supply rag dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

karlmarcks wrote:
    Many charities are reporting declines in their income dur to the activities of the scammers of various kinds...
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

....getting sick of them now.... them and junk mail and free "newspapers".[/QUOTE]

And leaflets for filling oil tank in an estate with all gas heating
    Or leaflets to sell your house constantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Belfafter

In belfast we get 3 or 4 of these fake flyers every week.
    There was even a big fight between 2 vanloads of "charity collectors" down our street.
    One van got all its windows broke and the bags took out of it and put in the other van:)
    Everybody says it is 2 guys organising them all - some guy Davis and Dunlop from the city somewhere.
    Anybody out there see where all these vans unload?must be a big yard somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

We get a minimum of 2 of these leaflets a week and when heading out in the morning theres always the same 2 lads in a transit cruising around looking for bags.

Never had a doubt in my mind what was really going on, I'm just pi**ed off that something cant be done about it :(

Anybody who has clothes to give should drop it down to the local charity shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

any charity in ireland has to have a registered charity number. If you think its bad in galway, come to kildare. I get at least 3 of these a week through the door.
    Do what I do and use their bag for my rubbish (it saves you about 12c).
    What really saddened me was tuesday morning I saw that some idiot had actually left the bag out full of clothes. I didnt think people could be that stupid (apologies to the person above who fell for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

I live in Dublin 15. I get these leaflets in my letterbox at least 3 times a week for the last year. I have gone out a couple of time to the person posting the leaflets (happened to be at home when they were delivered) I asked them where their charity was located but they just shrugged and said 'No English'

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We use the Enable Ireland and the Gorta bags. Any other bags are used to gather stuff until Enable or Gorta come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

cudman wrote: »
    any charity in ireland has to have a registered charity number.

Actually, they don't, and there is practically zero regulation of charities here.
    The charity number is just proof that Revenue have granted them tax exempt status. It says nothing about how well they are run, what proportion of their income goes on 'expenses', etc. There's no legal requirement to even meet that level of 'regulation'. It's a disgrace really and the public are being taken for fools left right and centre.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

Anybody take it up with their local TD :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Does anyone have the name of someone in Dublin City Council who would deal with this?
    We have been getting some from the same guy, have had about 4 stickers through the door from him in the past month (we must get 3-4 a week from different collectors!). There was an email address on the sticker which i've been able to find out his real name, and when I googled that, I found out that he runs a company that sells on clothes to the textile trade.

He's collecting the stuff on Friday so i'd love if the council were able to catch and hopefully deport the scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭cudman

ninja900 wrote: »
    Actually, they don't, and there is practically zero regulation of charities here.
    The charity number is just proof that Revenue have granted them tax exempt status. It says nothing about how well they are run, what proportion of their income goes on 'expenses', etc. There's no legal requirement to even meet that level of 'regulation'. It's a disgrace really and the public are being taken for fools left right and centre.

Maybe so, but its funny that what I posted is what was said in an article from vincent de paul or trocaire or someone a couple of months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nothing at all illegal calling yourself a charity, here.

Guards won't be interested, as it'd be a civil matter if you wanted to challenge them on their misleading statements (like, say, an invalid registered charity number)

The local authority are unlikely to have the will, or the resources, to take action against them (and that's assuming that the court will agree with the thinking that if you're leaving it out for collection, it's to be considered waste, and therefore in need of a license).

The best guys to contact to get something done about bogus collectors is the local councils waste enforcement officials.
    Under EU waste law all these collectors have to have a waste management certificate and collection permit with vehicle regs on it for the area they are in.
    I know for sure they have seized quite a few of their vans in Dublin recently because they hadnt the right permits.
    If you get a sticker in your door ring the council and let them know.
    I think they are obligated to check it out.

this is a bit old but shows something can be done http://www.donotdelay.org/index.php?pageid=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mooncoin2

have a look at this flyer, is this the same scam???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

since their mobile number doesn't exist, they don't give a company name and the only reference on google to that registered number is this thread and some romanian website I'm going to go with yes.

I wish I could catch one of them putting one of those leaflets in my letterbox so I could shove it up their hole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Romanians seem to be at it too .

Its better than their old scam of robbing Enable Ireland clothing banks I suppose .

Not much better mind :(

I must stress again that the only way to guarantee that the clothes are given to a proper charity is to bring them direct to the charity yourself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

good to see this thread dug up again, Im getting one of these in the door every day . lost count of the times ive seen the collection van on it rounds
    stops on the way out of our area at the bottom of the road, gypsy jumps out takes the sign down and drives off again.

I sickens me that people will gladly turn over stuff to the likes of these guys
    and either not question their lagitimacy or more likely not care as they are
    and easy way to get rid of some clutter and to lazy to actually take it to
    a charity shop. which is the reason we are seeing more of these comming in the door not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have a supply of bin-bags courtesy of these scam artists... I get a flyer almost every day and a bin-bag every week!
    I notice the neighbours leaving stuff out, a lot of is is not collected... they are picky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I wish I could catch one of them putting one of those leaflets in my letterbox so I could shove it up their hole

they always put these in my door very late at night or early mornings...every sat morning i get a flyer (which i put in the paper recycling)

makes me wonder what kind of tools they are...do they not think they are overdoing it by dropping flyers EVERY week???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As 10-10-20 says, it's a useful / cheap source of binbags , thats all I use them for.

I was in Prague last week , there are hundreds of second hand clothes shops there , I bet thats where a lot of this ends up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they come around at about 6.45am every morning in my place, more regularly then the postman tbh.

i have been know on occassion, to hand the stickers straight back to the collectors but it is a great source of cheap bin liners

i have noticed a lot of my neigbours have signs up tell the collector where they can stick their stickers :D

I've a right pain in my hoop with this carry on I have to say. We got a leaflet put in our door at 4:15am the other day which set the dog off.

For anybody living on their own I would say its very unnerving. My neighbour said they are sleeping on edge (as their car had been broken into / stolen 3 times this year already)and encouraged everybody to ring the local Gardai, which was fair enough in my book. The lad I spoke to was sound but he didnt think there was any law that they could pull them up on, the most they could hope to do was "run them".

We are getting at least one of these leaflets a day, the last straw for me in frustration was the one we got in the door last night which alledges they are collecting on behalf of breast cancer Ireland, they even had the nerve to put the pink ribbon on the bag. SCUM.

On foot of receiving a leaflet claiming to be collecting for some Lithuanian cancer charity recently www.donotdelay.org I wrote to the Irish Cancer Society where they were kind enough to come back to me last night to confirm that they have tried to investigate these collectors with no luck but suffice to say they have not been approved in anyway. Basic rule folks is genuine charities do NOT collect in this way and the random mobile numbers provided merely confirm that these people are bogus and only out for profit.

I really feel for the genuine charities who are missing out due to these con artists. Yes there is govt legislation coming in but I cant see who is going to enforce it or get these scammers off the road :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Sizzler wrote: »
    On foot of receiving a leaflet claiming to be collecting for some Lithuanian cancer charity recently www.donotdelay.org I wrote to the Irish Cancer Society where they were kind enough to come back to me last night to confirm that they have tried to investigate these collectors with no luck but suffice to say they have not been approved in anyway. Basic rule folks is genuine charities do NOT collect in this way and the random mobile numbers provided merely confirm that these people are bogus and only out for profit.

I really feel for the genuine charities who are missing out due to these con artists. Yes there is govt legislation coming in but I cant see who is going to enforce it or get these scammers off the road :confused:

It's all about convenience. I'm sure many people would gladly give their stuff to legitimate collectors it's just that these guys operate on the " fling enough s%$£ at the wall and some will stick" rule. I know Mrs. Josh would gladly give her stuff to legitimate collections and she often does but sometimes when she's clearing out an old cupboard or whatever and one of these bags falls in the letter box it's just too convenient to ignore.

Sizzler wrote: »

http://www.jsdniltd.com/ - This is the guy organising the vast majority of these collections. His name is Tim Davis .
    If you ring him up and tell him you have a van he sells you the fake stickers then buys all the bags of clothing off you when you get it.
    Its mostly lithuianians and poles works for him and if they post belarus stickers in your door one week they come back a week later and stick breast cancer or any of his other made up stuff he has.
    Its amazing that he can continue to operate as a legitimate business when ALL his supplies are collected by these scumbags in their vans.
    I know he also pays them cash mostly so someone should report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Very interesting connection there on that website...
    It links to http://www.donotdelay.org/ but that page displays a large notice...

ATTENTION!!!

FAKE “DO NOT DELAY” COLLECTIONS IN UK.

ALL DOOR TO DOOR COLLECTIONS MADE WITH THE DO NOT DELAY LEAFLETS (STICKERS) IN THE UNITED KINGDOM, ARE FAKE. THIS COLLECTION IS ILLEGAL ACTIVITY AND IS NO WAY ASSOCIATED WITH THE DO NOT DELAY PROJECT AND INTERSECOND LTD.

IN CASE YOU RECEIVE A DO NOT DELAY LEAFLET (STICKER), DO NOT DONATE AND REPORT TO THE LOCAL POLICE IMMEDIATELY.

GENUINE DO NOT DELAY COLLECTIONS ARE RUN WITH PLASTIC BAGS ONLY. ONLY THE DO NOT DELAY PLASTIC BAG GIVEN IS THE EVIDENCE THAT COLLECTION IS LEGAL. ALSO ALL OUR COLLECTORS HAVE THE ID WHICH CONFIRMS THAT A COLLECTOR IS EMPLOYED BY INTERSECOND LTD.

http://www.iccltd.org/
    http://www.redappledesign.net/cci/

These are the other 2 big household clothing collection buyers.
    Between these pair (who are brothers ) and http://www.jsdniltd.com/ 90% of the fraud is being carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I never realised until now that there was a UVF/UDA connection to all this :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement