Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Kinda defeats the purpose of having the Vodafone network if they're gonna reduce the speeds. 5 is a bit steep, they could've upped it a bit. Probably just good for people who can only get Vodafone signal or who don't understand speeds and stuff although if it is truly unlimited it could be good. Will be interesting to see if it attracts customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Just about the right price but 5Mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭FluffPiece

We've had enough so we're going to launch an inferior service at a higher launc price than our competitor. That will show them!

Make sure we cap the speed at a stupid low speed to really show them we mean business!

A website is up with Vodafone in the security cert details, but nothing on it at the moment: https://www.clearmobile.ie/

There's also a possible instagram page : www.instagram.com/clearmobileireland - doesn't look like the best logo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Christ, that's crap. As tweet says, post mobile is far better for 2 quid more giving the same specs as Vodafone
    Why are they bothering? Unless the 5 isn't held however they are well able to keep people on 10Mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Their market is the people who watch Winning Streak, with that off air they will struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

FFS what next, the return of the 56k modem for home broadband.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That download speed is rubbish. Probably a decent deal for people who only have Vodafone coverage but other than that it's very poor.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

@clearmobileIRE on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

As someone who moved from them to 48 after years with them, there is no way i would move back for a reduced service. Good to see the took the feedback from their followup calls onboard, another f up by Vodafone

• Advertisement

Their market is the people who watch Winning Streak, with that off air they will struggle.

Problem is that most of their presumed target audience wouldn't be bothered to swap from their current network or wouldn't know how to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

That's really not a great offer unless you have some serious coverage issues

I wonder who got away with pitching this to the Vodafone overlords in a Zoom meeting

It would be like having a Ferrari with a Fiesta engine

They would've been better off having unrestricted speeds with a monthly data cap rather than 5Mb/s for unlimited it'd bring in more people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

-=al=- wrote: »

It would be like having a Ferrari with a Fiesta engine

More like a Fiesta with pedals. :D

I can't figure who they are aiming for ?

Anyone who only had Vodafone coverage, would pay the normal Vodafone high price anyway, not like they had a choice.

Anyone that doesn't have to have Vodafone can get a better deal elsewhere. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Will suit me, I need vodafone coverage and the limited speed wouldn't bother me. Sure I only use 4G for messaging (whatsapp, imessage, emails) really at 5Mbs should be fine for that, most media type browsing on my phone is done while at home or office on wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

That 5mb cap on speeds is a dealbreaker. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

This is a service that would be aimed at 14-21yo's primarily...
    Inexpensive, all data and calls included.
    But then they destroy it with 5mbps speed....that kills their target market immediately and now they're looking to catch 40yo Karens who aren't happy with eir coverage... absolutely mindbogglingly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

5mbps would surely be grand for most phone activities though? You would easily stream a YouTube video and use the standard social media/messaging apps right?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 461 ✭✭TetraSonic55

5mbps would surely be grand for most phone activities though? You would easily stream a YouTube video and use the standard social media/messaging apps right?

It may, just may be enough for socials, but YT? That would be a definite no, unless you want constant loading/buffering. It's 2021 now like... I'm perplexed about the speed cap. I just have no words

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It may, just may be enough for socials, but YT? That would be a definite no, unless you want constant loading/buffering. It's 2021 now like... I'm perplexed about the speed cap. I just have no words

If they can guarantee 5MB then you can watch Netfix in HD.

Watch Netflix in HD

To watch Netflix in HD, ensure you have an HD plan, then set your video quality setting to Auto or High. Titles will play in HD as long as you have a connection speed of 5.0 megabits per second or faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Del2005 wrote: »
    If they can guarantee 5MB then you can watch Netfix in HD.

Not even close tbh....it's going to buffer like hell...even up to 10mbps in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

They shouldn't be allowed market that as either "Unlimited" or "4G"

*This service is severely throttled.

It also does not compare to GoMo as a product.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Userloss

Are the 5 mbits in the eu vailed as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I left Gomo as they didn't have WiFi calling. If this does, I'd be interested. 5mb in a rural backwater would be more than sufficient. My home WiFi is 9mb and I rarely see 3g on my phone anyway. Maybe this is aimed at a large proportion of country dwellers with slow/prone to dropping connections like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Website is live here.

Download speed is rubbish indeed. 3G via 4G. 48 for more people is still a way better option.

Can someone test the 10 GB limit abroad please?

10 GB is really poor for being abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,265 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Userloss wrote: »
    Can someone test the 10 GB limit abroad please?

10 GB is really poor for being abroad.

It website went live about 30 minutes ago in the middle of a global pandemic with limited travel, I think you might be waiting a while for an answer on that one.

I ask because one UK-Operator voxi wrote on thair website on the endlessplan this

You can use your plan at no extra cost in 47 countries in Europe. That means you can call or text home or any other European country while you’re abroad. Your general-purpose data allowance will be capped at 25GB per 30-day plan in our Europe Zone destinations.

But they never capped the data at 25 GB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I cant see them pulling in many with this plan. Even if it was half the price the speed cap is going to turn most people off.

The website and logo have the look of a funeral home website or something. It's as if their idea was to copy the gomo site but make it appeal to the elderly. If that was the idea then I think they nailed it.

I'll be sticking with 48, I can't see these lasting long. They just won't appeal to many people. It'll be another Justmobile or ID. Gone in a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Pretty poor offering with the 5mb cap - I wonder will Gomo do another 9.99 deal in retaliation?

I’ve been with them from the start and they have been great.

My brother did have a billing issue that they sorted out fairly sharpish over email but other than that it’s been great.

Ex Vodafone customer btw.

Advertisement