Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airside security pass

• 19-07-2011 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I've a couple of questions re: airside clearance.

How long does it take to get an airside security pass processed for an Irish airport?
    How expensive is clearance?

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Contact the airport police authority who you have applied to for the clearance pass. They will advise you how long this will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rain Dog

Was taking up to six weeks for Garda clearance a few months ago, may have improved since. Forms can be downloaded from the airports websites. Details of charges for Dublin & Shannon here

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/about-us/miscellaneous-charges.aspx
    http://www.shannonairport.com/gns/b2b/miscellaneous-charges.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

You will also need to complete an online airside security course in advance of receiving the airside clearance from the airport. Cost of this is a further €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pebe042

Many thanks for the responses - very helpful and much appreciated.

Assumed that US airside is a completely different kettle of fish than normal (effectively you're on US soil through Dublin and Shannon)?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

why do you need to know the cost surely your company provides this? oh wait do you pay @ Ryanair?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

On the subject, how does one go about getting an Irish background check?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

You will also need a reason for this clearance.Airside access is also graded with different levels available.Gaining access for the sake of it is a non runner even with a clear security history and BSAT training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭donkey balls

On the subject, how does one go about getting an Irish background check?
    The Gardai down in Thurles deal with all the back ground checks normally your employer would fill out the form and send it to the vetting office,As for the different grades of airside passes I never heard of that before mine was blue in colour with the different categories of vehicles that I drive while airside.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

The Gardai down in Thurles deal with all the back ground checks normally your employer would fill out the form and send it to the vetting office,As for the different grades of airside passes I never heard of that before mine was blue in colour with the different categories of vehicles that I drive while airside.

Green - Allowed airside but not allowed out on the ramp.
    Blue - Allowed on the ramp within certain boundaries
    Red - Allowed anywhere - Airport police
    Yellow & Other colour - Temp contract?

That's what it is in Dub anyway

Ah get you now with the different badges for contractors etc and the different areas there allowed in.:o

• Advertisement

Not just contractors, airside passes can limit you to buildings with no ramp access etc.As for CBP area no access unless operational crew/security staff or APFS

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Is there a website that gives all the details of how to get clearance. I've often seen jobs advertised that state "no applications without airside pass".

I assume you get the pass first and then apply for jobs. However, given the different levels of clearance, this does not seem logical.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Is there a website that gives all the details of how to get clearance. I've often seen jobs advertised that state "no applications without airside pass".

I assume you get the pass first and then apply for jobs. However, given the different levels of clearance, this does not seem logical.

P

Maybe those jobs were advertised for internal hiring- as in for someone who already works in the airport. As far as I'm aware, you apply for your airside pass when you have successfully got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Maybe those jobs were advertised for internal hiring- as in for someone who already works in the airport. As far as I'm aware, you apply for your airside pass when you have successfully got the job.

That's what i was thinking too. The badge has to state your employer and job title as well as employee number. They don't just give them out to anyone on completion of a BSAT and background check. Most of the airport companies(operator/concessions/contractors etc.) pay for the BSAT and badge at the beginning though you may have to pay for a new one from your own pocket should you lose it.

Lord Lucan is spot regarding employee nbr etc being on the ramp pass and they dont just give them out to any one as for companies making there employees pay MOL&co charge their staff.:eek:
    While working in the airport as an ops manager I was also an authorised signature for the issue of the ramp passes the adverts that some of the posters see advertised are more than likely agencies as anyone dealing with the hiring of staff would know whats involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Applying for an airside pass is initiated by your employer, not by you. You only sign the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭babsybaby01

Your airside pass is given when all relevant background checks are done by gardai and airport police NOTE...airport police are more strict than gardai on checks..The reason they ask if you have airside clearance is that if you have airside clearance and badge and the badge is not used for at least one day over a 6 week period your card will no longer work and your clearance is void and you have to do all the clearance all over again...The test that you have to do you can pay for and do online...it's a series of videos and then a lot of multiple choice questions...Very like the driver theorey test.A lot of hassle but worth it if you get a job I suppose...best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Was only talking to a rep from one of the fragrance houses recently and it cost her €60 for a new badge after losing the original. Her agency wouldn't pay for a new one.

That stinks...........:D

I remember my first airside pass cost the company £20 punts that's some jump in price then again Mr Collier needs the $$$$$ for his wages.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Paxton Boy

Ive been offered a job as a ramp agent in Dublin Airport. The agency rang me today and said all the references were fine but as i had lived in Turkey for 8 months last year i need to get security clearance from the turkish authorities !!
    I dont know where to start :( any advise please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Paxton Boy wrote: »
    Ive been offered a job as a ramp agent in Dublin Airport. The agency rang me today and said all the references were fine but as i had lived in Turkey for 8 months last year i need to get security clearance from the turkish authorities !!

From what im aware turkish consulate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paxton Boy

Thanks andy g. As i said i was offered the job and got garda clearance today. Phoned the turkish consulate here and was told it takes about 10 weeks to get police clearance from turkey !! Dont think the airport will wait that long.
    Looks as though i am snookered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Thanks andy g. As i said i was offered the job and got garda clearance today. Phoned the turkish consulate here and was told it takes about 10 weeks to get police clearance from turkey !! Dont think the airport will wait that long.

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I was offered a job with an airline in the summer of 2010 on a fixed term contract before I went back to college. I was called by the airline about a week before I was due to start to say I had failed my security clearance/background check. After calling the airport police I had an officer try convincing me that I have a criminal record and I am just not admitting it (despite the only reason I have ever been in a Garda station is to get a passport form stamped!)

I ended up having to get a family member who is a solicitor to try get to the bottom to it, and the official line in the end was that there was a total mixup on the part of the Gardai when conducting the background search. That was no good to me at that stage, as my employer couldn't wait that long and had to take on someone else. Very distressing time. That said, next time I had to get a pass for another job, I had it same day of application.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

You should contact the minister for transport and ask him why you have to do all this to get a job, after all this is just another European fist blocking you from getting a job. Airport workers are treated like common criminals just trying to get in the door to work these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭snowserpeant

contact the consulate / embassy as,as you are now aware,if you apply for a ramp agent job [or ANY airside job} in dublin, and im assuming all irish airports,you are REQUIRED to provide police clearence from ANY and ALL country / countries you live in / have ever lived in REGARDLESS of where that country is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    You should contact the minister for transport and ask him why you have to do all this to get a job, after all this is just another European fist blocking you from getting a job. Airport workers are treated like common criminals just trying to get in the door to work these days.

Im afraid writing to the Minister would achieve nothing more then then spending the price of your stamp. It is a requirement made under a european directive (REGULATION (EC) No 2320/2002 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL) which established common rules in the field of civil aviation security.

It requires all person seeking to work within the Airside to under go a 5 year background security check. It is one of the many security requirements you must under go to work in a airport.

If you choose to work somewhere you must accept the regulations they set out. If a person has committed a serious crime and convicted of such you are not entitled to work in an airport for a period after it. If not they've nothing to worry about..

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Writing to the minister ( email, no stamp required ) at a time when the governments priority is job creation, is very important, last year it took everyone seeking employment at the airport 10 weeks to get so called security clearance from the Garda's, so Leo should explain why People potentially missed out on employment. So by the time they got clearance, ( those with nothing to hide of course )their contracts would have or almost expired, as most would be temporary contracts. " The European Parliment" there's your problem. Roll over and il tickle your bellys Ireland! European bureaucrats making fools out of airport employees, treating them like the terrorist everytime they access airside, is the so called security clearance ( that you have to pay for too ) not good enough??

On your second point, many airport employees have been doing their jobs without over the top security for many years, so An Udaras, I ask you the question, should an employee of 30 years pack their bags and leave their job because 1 or 2 people ( European parliament ) not even from this country, decide that they are not to be trusted to enter their own work place in the last 10 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    Writing to the minister ( email, no stamp required ) at a time when the governments priority is job creation, is very important, last year it took everyone seeking employment at the airport 10 weeks to get so called security clearance from the Garda's, so Leo should explain why People potentially missed out on employment. So by the time they got clearance, ( those with nothing to hide of course )their contracts would have or almost expired, as most would be temporary contracts. " The European Parliment" there's your problem. Roll over and il tickle your bellys Ireland! European bureaucrats making fools out of airport employees, treating them like the terrorist everytime they access airside, is the so called security clearance ( that you have to pay for too ) not good enough??

On your second point, many airport employees have been doing their jobs without over the top security for many years, so An Udaras, I ask you the question, should an employee of 30 years pack their bags and leave their job because 1 or 2 people ( European parliament ) not even from this country, decide that they are not to be trusted to enter their own work place in the last 10 years?

Apoligies didn't think about email. ;)
      10 week delay is down to the Gardai and pressure they are under from the amount of agencies now seeking background clearance i.e childcare/teaching etc.. all get checked at the same Gardai office so hence the wait you would be better emailing the Minister Of Justice/Garda Commissioner to ask him to staff the office with more officers. I Agree 10 weeks is a very long and unacceptable wait time for a background checks when you have always lived in this jurisdiction. Generally Airlines & Airport service companies will advertise for summer vacancies in February/March in anticipation for delays associated with getting security clearance & training etc.. this is certainly the situation in past few year it seems.
      Since September 11th 2001 and other events there after, aviation security requirement have changed dramatically and hence the EC bringing in directives to bring in common security regulations across contracting nations, Ireland being one. So the same requirement apply to staff across all European airports just as in Dublin and other Irish airports. In Ireland, the National Civil Aviation Security Program (NCASP) set guidelines for each Airport Authority (appropriate authority) to meet to operate an Airport safely & securely. Just because a person that has worked in a airport for 20 years doesn't mean that when updated security practices come into place at that airport that they are exempt from them just because they've worked there before the new requirements came into effect. Rules & Laws apply to us all and are always being updated & amended you just have to get on with it. I never said someone should leave there job because of these requirements? Of course if a person working within an airport who requires access to the Security critical area and has been convicted of a criminal offence they certainly may loss their airside access but it would be up to their employer if they where to loss there job.

Advertisement