Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just announced by newstalk that he'll be joining them September 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is this a wind up?:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very surprising news - I just saw it on Twitter. Will save RTÉ some money. Wonder who they'll replace him with.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wow, what a wonderful sound they will have.. !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Confirmed by RTE on twitter now. Denis O'Brien must have got the chequebook out at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

No. That's poor old Tom Dunne for the chopping block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just thinking... It will be interesting to see what will happen with the John Murray /Miriam Show now.. I think Pat has been carrying them..

Only Moncreiff to avoid on Newstalk now.. Get rid of him and I can leave the radio on NT for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Newstalk have got the contract with me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stop joking will ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Where does leave Tom Dunne?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

From RTE.ie

Pat Kenny is to leave RTÉ and will take up employment with Newstalk, ending a 41-year career with the national broadcaster.
    Mr Kenny was the presenter of numerous highly-rated news and current affairs programmes in RTÉ across four decades.
    Among the shows he presented during his time with RTÉ Radio and Television were Today with Pat Kenny, The Late Late Show, Kenny Live, Frontline and Today Tonight.
    He was also co-presenter of the Eurovision Song contest in 1988.
    Mr Kenny has courted controversy in recent years given the scale of his salary at a time when RTÉ was attempting to reduce its deficit and presenter salary scales.
    His salary was €630,000 in 2011, €729,604 in 2009 and €950,976 in 2008.
    His departure follows contract negotiations that have been ongoing for several months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

mike65 wrote: »
    Stop joking will ya.

KC on Today FM just said it too. Said there was a bit of excitement around the head offices. Not a word I'd use in relation to PK, but each to their own.

"RTE Radio One are pleased to announce a new three hour easy listening show co-hosted by Ronan Collins and Tom Dunne."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Well, well, well, who would have thunk it!!.......

Pat getting the pay rise he has been craving for I would imagine......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

mike65 wrote: »
    Stop joking will ya.

On the Newstalk 2pm news now. He starts on September 2nd.
    Sounds like he has completely left RTE (including TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

On the rock and roll

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Will our tv license bill drop by 4m euro a year then :D

From RTE.ie

Pat Kenny is to leave RTÉ and will take up employment with Newstalk, ending a 41-year career with the national broadcaster.
    Mr Kenny was the presenter of numerous highly-rated news and current affairs programmes in RTÉ across four decades.
    Among the shows he presented during his time with RTÉ Radio and Television were Today with Pat Kenny, The Late Late Show, Kenny Live, Frontline and Today Tonight.
    He was also co-presenter of the Eurovision Song contest in 1988.
    Mr Kenny has courted controversy in recent years given the scale of his salary at a time when RTÉ was attempting to reduce its deficit and presenter salary scales.
    His salary was €630,000 in 2011, €729,604 in 2009 and €950,976 in 2008.
    His departure follows contract negotiations that have been ongoing for several months.

Ouch! Will someone help Pat remove the knife from his back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Wow! :eek:

Can only guess Newstalk have promised a long term contract, something RTE are not willing to do for a 65 year old.

That's it RTE, let the real talent go while ye hang onto nitwits like Tubridy and Mooney. FFS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What the hell?? Pat Kenny taking over the Tom Dunne slot? Am i going insane or did i just hear that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Will RTE bring back Uncle Gaybo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Something might happen for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Just thinking... It will be interesting to see what will happen with the John Murray /Miriam Show now.. I think Pat has been carrying them..

Only Moncreiff to avoid on Newstalk now.. Get rid of him and I can leave the radio on NT for the day.

Bets on "Gennnnnnnnuinely" nabbing the slot? 100-1 I'd say - unless, of course, they are thinking of subjecting us Radio 1 listeners to DLB :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

dafuq ? I was literally slack-jawed for a moment there :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I can't stand Kenny. Bye bye Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I guess the 5-week break he's on now (on the back of a few weeks not too long ago) is more of the gardening leave variety than actual holidays? A good move for him, a stupid one for RTÉ, their radio listener figures in his slot will probably take a beating.

I hope he will stay on the TV in Prime Time - plenty of precedent of Newstalk / Today FM presenters working RTÉ as well (Hook, Dunphy).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well done to Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Always listen to his radio show, much better than his TV work.

Shocker alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What the hell?? Pat Kenny taking over the Tom Dunne slot? Am i going insane or did i just hear that??

Is this a pisstake?

http://www.thejournal.ie/pat-kenny-joining-newstalk-1016842-Jul2013/

Advertisement