Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Anyway, back to Sara, I think she is doing a good job so far. Really impressed with the way she handled Pat McDonagh, Charlie Flanagan and especially Mary Lou. I thought Mary Lou really shot her bolt when in an attempt to stop the line of questioning, Mary Lou told her to ............Listen, we in Sinn Fein etc etc etc

Hope she gets the gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Orion wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you're offended.

Universities award PhDs for extended work on a topic. It's not a course. Educate yourself and maybe you'll become more tolerant.

They also award them for publicity and woke purposes:

Here's one -
    This afternoon, history will be made in UCC when activist Brigid Quilligan will become the first Irish traveller to receive an honorary doctorate.
    She will be conferred at UCC today, along with three other Irish people from media, business and the arts. [Irish Examiner]

The bould Biddy is now occasionally described in the media as "Doctor Brigid Quilligan"

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/travellers-facing-racism-over-claims-some-are-flouting-covid-19-restrictions-39155109.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Anyway, back to Sara, I think she is doing a good job so far. Really impressed with the way she handled Pat McDonagh, Charlie Flanagan and especially Mary Lou. I thought Mary Lou really shot her bolt when in an attempt to stop the line of questioning, Mary Lou told her to ............Listen, we in Sinn Fein etc etc etc

Hope she gets the gig

Hmmmm ..... have to say you are easily impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

They also award them for publicity and woke purposes:

Here's one -

The bould Biddy is now occasionally described in the media as "Doctor Brigid Quilligan"

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/travellers-facing-racism-over-claims-some-are-flouting-covid-19-restrictions-39155109.html
    That kind of grandstanding honestly does a disservice to actual PhDs and Doctors. The media reporting her as "doctor" should know better too - as if anyone would refer to Paul O'Connell as Dr. Paul O'Connell (he was the recipient of a honorary doctorate from UL).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That kind of grandstanding honestly does a disservice to actual PhDs and Doctors. The media reporting her as "doctor" should know better too - as if anyone would refer to Paul O'Connell as Dr. Paul O'Connell (he was the recipient of a honorary doctorate from UL).

Point taken re. Doctorates vs. Honorary Doctorates but I'd be inclined to cut her a bit of slack.

https://www.ucc.ie/en/conferrings/honorary/archive/dr-brigid-quilligan-degree-of-doctor-of-laws.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Hmmmm ..... have to say you are easily impressed

Maybe so but did you hear the exchange on the gathering on Friday when she put manners on Aodhan O Riordan. He was acting like a complete too lCan`t imagine SOR doing that

1. Registered Users Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Maybe so but did you hear the exchange on the gathering on Friday when she put manners on Aodhan O Riordan. He was acting like a complete too lCan`t imagine SOR doing that

No, but I will take your point, and accept that she is doing well.

I will say there is more to the show than “putting manners on people” could I suggest that she ,perhaps , is a little too keen to develop that rep.

Can she swing a full show 5 days a week and keep folk interested all round.

That has to be established over the inter regnum?

We will see.

1. Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Any chance they'll discuss the attempted murder in Carrigaline tomorrow?

2. Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Klonker wrote: »
        Best not even go down this road (as will only inevitably derail the thread), but no.

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Was that the black lads beating up the white lad?

4. Advertisement
      5. Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

At the moment I'm finding Sarah's style of interview aggressive and combative, it's becoming a bit tiresome

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

EmptyTree wrote: »
        At the moment I'm finding Sarah's style of interview aggressive and combative, it's becoming a bit tiresome

Yeah, sometimes she's just grilling politicians for the sake of it. Grilling Regina Doherty over looking to claw back covid payments claimed fraudulently, as if that's something thats wrong or that should even be up for debate.

7. Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

be serious now

8. Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm enjoying it. She was excellent in shutting down the FGer and Aodhan on Friday constantly sniping.

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Yeah, sometimes she's just grilling politicians for the sake of it. Grilling Regina Doherty over looking to claw back covid payments claimed fraudulently, as if that's something thats wrong or that should even be up for debate.

I'd take her more seriously if she'd been a bit more combative and grilled Clare Daly last week over her justification and encouragement of mass gatherings...that was up for debate at the very least.

10. Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Always good to hear him getting called out, but it does seem somewhat selective and rehearsed.
          I will say there is more to the show than “putting manners on people” could I suggest that she ,perhaps , is a little too keen to develop that rep.

Agreed

1. Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Mad_maxx wrote: »
          be serious now

I’m surprised there isn’t a thread about it on here.

2. Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Anyone understand the mask situation any better after that? :confused:

3. Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

refreshing interview

apologise for nothing

well done sir:D

4. Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭cozar

who is Sarah having a go at? just tuned in.

5. Advertisement
        6. Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Anyone understand the mask situation any better after that? :confused:

That ship has sailed...unfortunately

7. Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

cozar wrote: »
          who is Sarah having a go at? just tuned in.

Joe Doyle - Residential Landlords Association of Ireland

8. Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

This lad is some headbanger. Great radio though.

9. Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Had never heard of this lad before. Job done i suppose. I'd say he was hoping for liveline but struck oil and got the prime today slot instead. Might yet land the twofer.

10. Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

This lad is some headbanger. Great radio though.

Thought that at the start myself, but turns out he is on the ball. about time o' broin got put back in his box.

11. Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Eoin stuck for words today in his ideas when actually taken up on them.

12. Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

That accent is like poison being poured into my ears. I can just picture Joe sitting there in his tracksuit with the white socks pulled up over the ankles, the €200 airmax, the Burbuddy hat, the Soverdidden rings, the greasy hair, sunken eyes.
          Sarah is a breath of fresh air to the show. Great interviewer, and easy to listen to.

13. Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Sarah could do her best combative grilling act all morning with that Joe fella...going nowhere. Kind of entertaining

14. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

This is Joe Doyle’s website:

https://joedoyle.ie/

Looking for Individual lending investors and dictating the terms.

15. Advertisement
        16. Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gwynplaine wrote: »
          That accent is like poison being poured into my ears. I can just picture Joe sitting there in his tracksuit with the white socks pulled up over the ankles, the €200 airmax, the Burbuddy hat, the Soverdidden rings, the greasy hair, sunken eyes.
          Sarah is a breath of fresh air to the show. Great interviewer, and easy to listen to.

Some might view this description as offensive.

This discussion has been closed.
        Advertisement