Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

jogdish wrote: »
    If it's the same as the other times its something to do with RTE and TuneIn - I complained to RTE and they seemed to be aware of the issue last time.

I just tried RTE 1 on tuneIn perfect, tried it while casting to my home from Tunein - wouldn't work.

Im currently looking at an Echo!

Not sure here but I came across this on the RTÉ website, updated 02/06
    (https://www.rte.ie/eile/2017/1206/925436-introducing-rte-on-amazon-echo/) Did this page update coincide with changes to the TuneIn feed or link. Lyric & some of digital only stations are coming through fine.
    There's a contact email so I dropped them a message to let them know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Not sure here but I came across this on the RTÉ website, updated 02/06
    (https://www.rte.ie/eile/2017/1206/925436-introducing-rte-on-amazon-echo/) Did this page update coincide with changes to the TuneIn feed or link. Lyric & some of digital only stations are coming through fine.
    There's a contact email so I dropped them a message to let them know the story.

I sent them an email too
    Had to drop the trailing ) from your URL above, btw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

RunDMC wrote: »
    Yes, you can set a default audio device for each Home device, either itself, a Chromecast device, even another Home device. It's in the device settings in the Home app.

R

Perfect, thanks RunDMC that worked perfectly.

Quick additional question. Is the optimum setting to have language set to Irish or UK English? I recall the language choice impacting some geo dependent services or localised type info but can't quite recall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tunein via assistant has now started needing "Dublin" put in front or after a bunch of radio station names where previously it assumed what you wanted based on location. e.g. there's probably a hundred Q102s in the world, and there was an entire chain of Spins across the globe at one point. So its affecting nearly everything somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I opened the TuneIn app on my phone and marked Newstalk as a favourite. Now it plays on my Nest devices. I don't know if it's a coincidence.

I tried the same for RTE Radio 1. That still doesn't play. But that is a different error. It tries to play and then fails. Previously for Newstalk it just wasn't finding it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Still pissed none of the UK Global stations work now, sure I can cast via my phone using their app but still...

Seems it was a Global decision to block listening outside of the UK (according to tune on help on twitter).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

Still pissed none of the UK Global stations work now, sure I can cast via my phone using their app but still...

Seems it was a Global decision to block listening outside of the UK (according to tune on help on twitter).

These are working now. I need to say 'play radio X London' or 'play LBC London' and they play through Global Player. Seems to have been implemented just in the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

RTE 1 gone for me too, worked on TuneIN app and RTE stream.

Sorry I will just go on a rant here, RTE1 has been a persistent issue with G home, better in the last while but always issues. Why Why Why on earth can I not just ask it to play the actual RTE url Stream it's is F**king mad.
    RTE have some exclusive deal with Amazon echo, so the echo takes the stream direct ala the BBC. I initially went G over amazon since I figured the hardware can't change that much but Google can do better software and also they try to parse the language more than amazon. Should have known better like most google projects they get it to a certain point and just move on. Also maybe it's my mind but the mic pick up seems to better worse as the months go on.

Rant over :(

There is a post for RTE Radio 1 not working on the Google 'Nest Help' page, do reply/+1 it for more traction

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    There is a post for RTE Radio 1 not working on the Google 'Nest Help' page, do reply/+1 it for more traction
    Got a reply from RTE when I noticed there was an issue yesterday and it seems that they have two ongoing issues with TuneIn streaming, which Google Assistant uses for streaming devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

These are working now. I need to say 'play radio X London' or 'play LBC London' and they play through Global Player. Seems to have been implemented just in the past few weeks.

Perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Got a reply from RTE when I noticed there was an issue yesterday and it seems that they have two ongoing issues with TuneIn streaming, which Google Assistant uses for streaming devices.

Actually purchased an Echo last night, worth playing with, ebay the Home or return the echo seeing how it goes.

Update from RTE
    RTE wrote:
    There's currently a technical issue for users in the Republic of Ireland which we believe is caused by the URL that TuneIn is pointing to.

We're doing our best to help TuneIn correct the error in their listing.

Update from RTE

For what its worth this was the exact same issue, when RTE didn't work for weeks about 2 years ago. Why on earth they can't just used the RTE direct stream is beyond me.

For what its worth this was the exact same issue, when RTE didn't work for weeks about 2 years ago. Why on earth they can't just used the RTE direct stream is beyond me.
    Its prob RTE having dedicated stream points for certain aggregation services.
    Did a small bit of digging and see the TuneIn site uses this URL

The Radio 1 problem seems to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

lertsnim wrote: »

Yes, back working for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

lertsnim wrote: »
    Back for me also but anything on 2FM? I still can't get a stream for that one. Getting the usual response - I can't find dah dah dah dah........

Back for me also but anything on 2FM? I still can't get a stream for that one. Getting the usual response - I can't find dah dah dah dah........

Play RTE 2FM works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

All the radio stations are working for me again. Next time one stops I'll know that I should try guessing slightly different names, that's a bit annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

2fm gone for me now on all my Google homes. "Play rte 2fm, play 2fm" etc not working :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No problem with 2fm here, hey Google play 2fm..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No problem with 2fm here, hey Google play 2fm..

Strange! For both I just get "I looked for 2fm/rte 2fm but it's not available right now"

The RTE radio stuff is just a joke on GHome, seems to be RTE's fault for only adopting the Echo platform natively.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

2fm gone for me now on all my Google homes. "Play rte 2fm, play 2fm" etc not working :(

Gone for me aswell.
    On the +side though I've only figured out i can connect my xbox to it so am having great fun with that while the novelty is still there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've noticed my doorbell and outdoor camera going offline a lot in the past few days, I've restarted the camera a few times with no improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Does anyone have a way to see timers easily on other devices without going through the home->room->home device->alarms & timers route?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Does anyone have a way to see timers easily on other devices without going through the home->room->home device->alarms & timers route?

Actions blocks maybe?

Does anyone know if it's possible to put a schedule on the doorbell to stop it ringing after a certain time? I know there's quiet time but that has to be set every time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Clareman wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to put a schedule on the doorbell to stop it ringing after a certain time? I know there's quiet time but that has to be set every time

Nest hello doorbell? Might be best to ask in the dedicated thread for that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement