Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Noob runner

• 20-05-2020 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Sorry to ask kinda noob question in here, with covid started doing some local running 3 times per week.

Some background, im not fit but not that unfit either, weight 85kg 6ft, little to no running outside of a threadmill for 20min max not on a regular basis. I do a small hamstring and lunge stretch before hand.

Anyways been doing some 4km runs around local area, takes about 25min maybe a breather stop (included). I get back home shower and about an hour later my right leg, from middle of my shin down just feels sore, its a very dull pain almost like its inside the middle of my leg. I notice it when running as if all shock absorbing has just gone and im running with metal legs.

Obviously its down to my lack of running but really struggle to find a reason from random googles, is there a stretch or something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

Hi
    Welcome to the running community.
    I have been running 38 years and my advice would be
    Invest in really good pair of runners. No cheap ones. You get what you pay for. Example Asics Kayano.
    Stretch for 10mins before running. Plenty of youtube videos explain those.
    Run on trail and grass at least initially if possible. Tarmac is so so. Avoid concrete for long periods. Do weight training twice a week. A simple "Grace" clean and press will work whole body. Start light.
    Try compression socks on your runs and might give some additional support. Cool down after runs with 5 mins stretching. Ice your leg if sore for 10mins. Take fish oil twice a week. Maybe multivit once a week as insurance. No fad diets. If your leg pain does not cease then get referral to sports injury clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

jogdish wrote: »
    Sorry to ask kinda noob question in here, with covid started doing some local running 3 times per week.

Some background, im not fit but not that unfit either, weight 85kg 6ft, little to no running outside of a threadmill for 20min max not on a regular basis. I do a small hamstring and lunge stretch before hand.

Anyways been doing some 4km runs around local area, takes about 25min maybe a breather stop (included). I get back home shower and about an hour later my right leg, from middle of my shin down just feels sore, its a very dull pain almost like its inside the middle of my leg. I notice it when running as if all shock absorbing has just gone and im running with metal legs.

Obviously its down to my lack of running but really struggle to find a reason from random googles, is there a stretch or something ?

You will suffer aches and pains when you start as your body gets used to it- there is really no getting away from it. But persevere and they will vanish after a few weeks of consistent running.

Aches and stifness are normal and try not to analysis it too much ATM but of course pain you need to watch and listen to your body.

You may well be heel striking. As said above go to a good running shop where they can analysis your gait and advise accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Butterbeans

This is certainly not a diagnosis, but sounds like you may have shin splints. It certainly seems to riase it's head a lot with people starting out running, generally due to too much too soon.
    Rest up until the pain is completely gone, get a new pair of runners if you need them and start back easy in terms of speed and distance. Most if not all of your running should be easy (conversation pace) to start out with, you can worry about speed down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

do you start running straight away when you go out the door OP?
    if so I would advise walking for 5 mins before starting your run, just to loosen things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Thanks for all the replies, let me give some info to address some questions.

1) ya pretty much start out the door, compared to using a threadmill in gym I find it very hard to stay at a comfy pace. I liked 8-9km/hr in gym never caused issues, I seem to be around 10km/hr now.

2) Got out the foam roller as a test, rolled my shin bone along a soft roller (squishy one) felt like hell but got easier but not comfy.
    I tried sitting on my heels the pain/tightness across the top of my foot was not nice - the same foot with the bad leg.

Based on that and internet and the fact I wear insoles, using decent asics with custom orthotics I think it's shin splints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 surfinbiz

Outside running is definitely different from the comforts of a treadmill in a gym.

Aside from the rough or hard cement/asphalt road, there's also the unavoidable turns which you won't get running straight on a treadmill. Turns gets you different strains and stress on your ligaments and muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Stretch your leg over the crossbar of a road bike!! that running lark is overrated.

Failing that, get fitted for runner most appropriate to your gait and form. Once you have that done, join a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

You know the way you see the team sports doing a crazy dance before the start of games. This is often dynamic stretching. Doing static stretching prior to a run can be risky.

This is the actual one I use at the moment. It's short, simple and easy to do. Click on the picture.

c38a981344762060.jpg

I do about 5 mins of joint mobility before I head off for a run, mostly 1 legged leg swings, forward and back, side to side and in circles. also do some hip openers. another one I started doing recently is the warrior 3 yoga pose, you see a lot of football teams using it now in their pre match prep. really find it beneficial, would've suffered on and off from back stiffness over the years but since I've started doing that stretch I haven't had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Legend456

I'm a nobbie to running too. I started last week in my local park . I'm having some knee pain this week .

Is the concrete in the park bad for running ? Am I better off running on the grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi OP again,
    Thanks for all the replies I believe I know my own issues not after googling and talking to others who have experience.

My issue are : Too much too soon, shin spints - poor core strentgh which leads to imbalance with can lead to knee pain @Legend456 , will keep hacking away. Still prefer threadmill/stationary bike in gym but things as they are.

Thanks for all the help

Legend456 wrote: »
    I'm a nobbie to running too. I started last week in my local park . I'm having some knee pain this week .

Is the concrete in the park bad for running ? Am I better off running on the grass

grass will always be easier on the joints.
    what shoes are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

rom wrote: »
    You know the way you see the team sports doing a crazy dance before the start of games. This is often dynamic stretching. Doing static stretching prior to a run can be risky.

This is the actual one I use at the moment. It's short, simple and easy to do. Click on the picture.

c38a981344762060.jpg

Those stretches focus purely on opening out the hips and it is no coincidence that it is a woman performing them.

Yes- static stretches are not fashionable at the moment and even dynamic stretches should only be done after a very warm up gentle jog and not before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Those stretches focus purely on opening out the hips and it is no coincidence that it is a woman performing them.

Yes- static stretches are not fashionable at the moment and even dynamic stretches should only be done after a very warm up gentle jog and not before.

tbh thats where I have all my problems as I spend too much time behind a desk. It is not relevant who performed them to me.

This was my go to foam roller video before
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Just said I’d jump in here to post because this evening I managed to complete a full 5km run without stopping for the the first time in over 10 years in 27:30.

Been running building up my progress since the end of April, I suffered with my knees at the start but I knew I would, always iced them down and had minimum of 2 rest days between runs sometimes 3. I also just stuck to the beach for the softer ground but my last 2 runs were in the park and I’ve no aches or pains in over 10 runs now. Take your time with it breaking in, no point pushing yourself too hard at first so if you get an injury you lose interest in it (happened me several times previous)

I’m absolutely delighted with the way it’s going for me now and I’m aiming to hit under 25mins by the end of July. I’m down 9llbs since I started and I’m not following any diet although i am watching what I eat in terms of crap. Wasn’t very overweight, I’m 6’1 and was 14st 11 when I weighed myself the first day I started back (which I was surprised about, I genuinely thought I was under 14st) I was 14st 2llbs Saturday night when I weighed myself. I was extremely unfit though, actually terrible, took me over a week to go more than 0.8km without stopping.

I’m very happy tonight after achieving the 5km, small thing to a lot of people here but a huge thing to me, hoping I’ll manage a 10km before xmas.

Advertisement