Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great to see a mile TT. In my opinion an out and back course won't work for a mile, the loss of momentum at that speed will be very hard to recover from. So start trying to find a mile loop or a straight, flat bit of road.

Thanks for organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

I grabbed the table that Murph_D had for the last TT. Feel free to edit/adjust/delete.

Name |Cat |Prediction|Actual|AG|Adjusted|Sandbag Factor
    py|M35|6:30||||

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

py|F35|6:30||||
    shotgunmcos|M40|5:45||||

Used last TT to base. My PB is 5:59

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Just a sidenote, AMK is allowed as many attempts as he likes and we'll pick the best one. Healy's sub four minute mile on his Lidl loop doesnt count..............

The Lidl loop is the legit one! It's the industrial estate where the magic happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote:
    Course options are strictly to be Out and Back or a mile loop. No smaller loops allowed. A straight mile is ok if there is no net elevation loss. If you need to do either a small bit more or less than a loop to complete the mile there cannot be net elevation loss.

Ah bugger... I liked my little 400m loop :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Ah bugger... I liked my little 400m loop :(

I'd found a nice little 0.54K track to use, perfect for 3 laps, wasn't flat but had no traffic and a lane marked out :-(

Back to scouting out the roads and parks so......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭crisco10

Crisco10|M|5:30||||

also used my 5km from last TT as predictor. Have never run a mile TT before so have no idea how realistic that is.

Just out of interest, why no multiloop routes? Clearly I'm happy to go along with it, but just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

crisco10 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, why no multiloop routes? Clearly I'm happy to go along with it, but just curious.

GPS can be very sketchy running loops over such a short distance, so what measures 1 mile on your watch could well be a lot shorter running a looped route.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

py wrote: »
    I grabbed the table that Murph_D had for the last TT. Feel free to edit/adjust/delete.

Did I miss something? The organisers may need to consult with Athletics Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

DeepBlue|M45|6:16||||

/heads off to google 1 mile training plans. That one Itziger posted from that Daniel Jacks fella seems every so slightly sketchy........ :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

Er, fixed. I actually identify as a 2nd place sandbagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Was hoping downhill routes would be allowed, had picked out a good possible one and did a mini TT, but struggled.
    Will go back to the drawing board now and try to find a flatish one - too many hills even in the 5K zone
    I got under 5 mins on Griffith Avenue last year but that was downhill and a lifetime ago.
    5:20 would be a good target now, no prediction until I find the route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

pconn062 wrote: »
    Great to see a mile TT. In my opinion an out and back course won't work for a mile, the loss of momentum at that speed will be very hard to recover from. So start trying to find a mile loop or a straight, flat bit of road.

Thanks for organising.
    Theres hardly a app or website for searching for a flat mile around? It's going to be difficult to find a flat mile within 5km where I live. Maybe I could do a down hill start and up hill finish but I don't think you ever gain in the down hill compared to what loose in the up hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

coogy|M45|5:30||||

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Course options are strictly to be Out and Back or a mile loop. No smaller loops allowed. A straight mile is ok if there is no net elevation loss. If you need to do either a small bit more or less than a loop to complete the mile there cannot be net elevation loss.

What about an out and back that involves a return around a roundabout or another shortish piece of looped road/path that then returns you the original road where you return to the start? In other words an out and back that avoids a 180 turn by using a short loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    What about an out and back that involves a return around a roundabout or another shortish piece of looped road/path that then returns you the original road where you return to the start? In other words an out and back that avoids a 180 turn by using a short loop?

Yeah D, a roundabout or similar would be grand....not much more than that as a "small loop" is a bit ambiguous. I hope ye understand it's just a case of drawing a line in the sand and not having to assess the suitability of everyone's chosen route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Time predictor based on my recent 5 km says a mile time of 5:22 but has to be 4:59 :pac:

Dubh G|M35|4:59||||

Should be easy to find a net 0 elevation gain point to point at the very least around here but I'll see about getting a loop or out and back first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff lads......no just to find a flat loop to do this on. Had considered a few options previously but these would have resulted in instant bans due to a slight elevation lose.

Thinking an out and back may be my best option.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Should be able to have a crack at this at the end of the month - fingers crossed.

I've never raced a mile so no idea what my time will be, just over 7 minutes seems to be what the calculators are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Yeah D, a roundabout or similar would be grand....not much more than that as a "small loop" is a bit ambiguous. I hope ye understand it's just a case of drawing a line in the sand and not having to assess the suitability of everyone's chosen route.

A small loop is more likely to be under-measured by the Garmin than over-measured. In other words the route is more likely to be long than short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Stravas 'Create New route' function is useful to find such mythical zero elevation places.

Stravas 'Create New route' function is useful to find such mythical zero elevation places.

Yep it's very easy...plot a mile lap that returns you to within a stone's throw of where you started. It might have elevation but no net elevation. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    A small loop is more likely to be under-measured by the Garmin than over-measured. In other words the route is more likely to be long than short.

May be correct, may measure long, may measure short. We could start a thread on that elsewhere :pac:

This TT will not be having the rules changed as we go along ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Thanks guys for organising this event for us. There'll be a lot of playful moans about the rules but we do appreciate the effort it will take to get this done.

Now off to find 1 mile of true level :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zBtJhgwBI

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

tbukela|M35|6:05||||

I missed out on the fun of the 5K so looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I gave the punters what they wanted....... Your like Pol Pot with all these rules & regulations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

TFBubendorfer|M50|5:59||||

Ah balls, I already had my beady eyes on that lovely downhill road from Enniskerry. Stupid rules!

Now THAT is totally uncalled-for! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

4:59

F**k it. All in.

OOnegative wrote: »
    I gave the punters what they wanted....... Your like Pol Pot with all these rules & regulations!!!

Pol Pot is only in the ha'penny place ::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

MisterJinx|M40|5:30||||
    TFBubendorfer|M50|5:59||||

I'm in. In order to retain my 3rd place for Sandbagging i'll need to do very well.

Advertisement