Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8Radio

• 21-10-2018 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭mvt

Seems 8radio is back on at 105.2fm again-great to see & hear :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

mvt wrote: »
    Seems 8radio is back on at 105.2fm again-great to see & hear :)

Been on since friday...great to hear an real guitar based rock station back on irish radio, seeing as we dont have one....at least for now...;)

To Simon...We REALLY need this back on FM sooner rather than later.....nova are getting away with murder..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There's already a thread dedicated to 8Radio:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057157564

doesnt hurt to remind people tho....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

doesnt hurt to remind people tho....;)

But Nova plays rock music!!!!! :p

But Nova plays rock music!!!!! :p

:D:D:D:D:D...ur funny..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Found it by accident and it was the first time in a long time that the radio stayed on in the car instead of streaming off the phone. Excellent station.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Found it by accident and it was the first time in a long time that the radio stayed on in the car instead of streaming off the phone. Excellent station.

It's nice to have an alternative alright.

As I said already:
    There's already a thread dedicated to 8Radio:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057157564

Bump.......:)

Live every day...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kelzer

Does anyone know the bitrate 8Radio streams at from their TuneIn/app? Is there a site for all Irish stations and their stream quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nationwide or just dublin?

fryup wrote: »

I am listening in Dublin

External Live Stream
    FormatBitratehttp://8radio.serverroom.net/listen.plsaac....64

External Live Stream
    FormatBitratehttp://8radio.serverroom.net/listen.plsaac....64

Hmm so not so great sound quality then. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    kelzer wrote: »
    I am listening in Dublin

i mean is it just online or can it be tuned in the old fashioned way?

No word of it on FM ..for now anyways....usually pops up here when theyre on FM at the odd weekend....

Given the pandemic situation, it's probably easier to continue online only at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay in getting back on this one. Planning to do some FM weekends later in the year but of course dependent on the Covid situation. For now, online as normal and with live programming every weekday from 11am. Good time for audience, bad time for revenue!

A poster above was looking for a higher quality stream option:

https://cassl.rcast.net/stream/60888/

That's 128k MP3.

Simon

Hey Simon..any chance of some older indie stuff and more punk/new wave/electronica.....the new disco pop stuff does my head in...(50 something).:D

You might want to check out Steve Conway's A to Z of Great Tracks on Wednesdays at 8pm and repeated on Saturdays at 10am.

This has been running since January 2014 and just now he will be finishing the letter X and moving on to the letter Y. Only a few weeks left! And no, I have not been following it every week since then! For starters, I did not have a smartphone device all that time!

• Advertisement

You might want to check out Steve Conway's A to Z of Great Tracks on Wednesdays at 8pm and repeated on Saturdays at 10am.

This has been running since January 2014 and just now he will be finishing the letter X and moving on to the letter Y. Only a few weeks left! And no, I have not been following it every week since then! For starters, I did not have a smartphone device all that time!

Imagine that was a short show......:P

Imagine that was a short show......:P

He started X about half-way in last week and had one more to play at the beginning of this week! So, he went from W to Y across two shows!

Incidentally, he pointed out last year that songs beginning with the letter T took up a much longer period to do than any other letter. That was because of all the songs where the first word begins with "Th" especially "The"!

I was listening last night to the A to Z of Great Tracks. Steve Conway said he expects to get to Z in September! Of course, there are a lot of song titles beginning with the letter Y, when you take into account all those song titles starting with the word "You", which he is in the middle of at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just popping on to congratulate Simon and the full team on this station. Love the variety of music, focus on Indie, esp Irish Indie.

During lockdown I am listening to this daily, its great to hear actual shows with real, professional, knowledgeable presenters on a niche online station. Also, am well impressed with all the work on the website and app, the listen back service, etc.

Please keep it up!

Haven't heard much (any) advertising, so no idea how ye do it!! If ye ever look for patreon / subscribers, I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Genghis wrote: »
    Just popping on to congratulate Simon and the full team on this station. Love the variety of music, focus on Indie, esp Irish Indie.

During lockdown I am listening to this daily, its great to hear actual shows with real, professional, knowledgeable presenters on a niche online station. Also, am well impressed with all the work on the website and app, the listen back service, etc.

Please keep it up!

Haven't heard much (any) advertising, so no idea how ye do it!! If ye ever look for patreon / subscribers, I'm there.

Thank you very much Genghis. Very nice of you to take the time to post this.

Well spotted too that our revenue via advertising has been hit very hard since the pandemic. We are almost totally reliant on revenue from the Live Music business and that is unlikely to return to any large extent before 2021 so we are exploring all options to keep the bills paid including Subs, Patreon etc.

Thanks again!

Simon Maher
    8Radio.com

I'm listening to the last episode of the first series of Steve Conway's A to Z of Great Tracks. There's only one song left now! It started in January 2014 and it's taken this long to finish! If you missed it, it's repeated on Saturday at 10am. He started the letter Z half-way through last week and it takes up all of this final episode.

Next week, Steve starts a month or so of what he calls an "Interregnum". He will be going through songs that do not start with letters (characters like brackets as well as numeric digits) - a tidying up exercise, as it were.

Then in October, he will start the A to Z of Great Tracks (Mark 2) all over again: this time newer tunes he would have missed first time alphabetically, or songs he could not get his hands on at the time, or songs he discovered on 8Radio.

So, what do you think the last track is that Steve selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Cypress Hill!!!!!

what a station

no "bleeps" or Radio Edit nonsense either

great stuff

Tried listening yesterday but kept stopping and buffering.....back to PR....for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Brilliant station! Listen to it every day. The scope of music that's played is brilliant!

• Advertisement

I'm listening to the last episode of the first series of Steve Conway's A to Z of Great Tracks. There's only one song left now! It started in January 2014 and it's taken this long to finish! If you missed it, it's repeated on Saturday at 10am. He started the letter Z half-way through last week and it takes up all of this final episode.

Next week, Steve starts a month or so of what he calls an "Interregnum". He will be going through songs that do not start with letters (characters like brackets as well as numeric digits) - a tidying up exercise, as it were.

Then in October, he will start the A to Z of Great Tracks (Mark 2) all over again: this time newer tunes he would have missed first time alphabetically, or songs he could not get his hands on at the time, or songs he discovered on 8Radio.

So, what do you think the last track is that Steve selected?

It was Zoo Station by U2, in case you are interested.

I wonder will Steve publish all the entries and associated stats. It would be nice, for example, to know the very first entry. And which artistes had multiple entries....and so on.

Advertisement