Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

1545556575860»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Where are you? Madrid?

It's been warm with sunny intervals in North Dublin since about lunch time..

Great day to be out with the young fella

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain at Dunshaughlin after a mostly dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »
    pouring rain at Dunshaughlin after a mostly dry day.

Looking at ME's rainfall radar that might be coming our way...

Better get the furniture covers on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Been ok in my part of Dublin, mostly cloudy with some brightness but a bit windy. Certainly have had worse days, not a terrible end to a forgettable May. I preferred the first half over the second half as it offered sunnier days generally despite the very bad days of the 8th and the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

3 days of rain finally clearing.....to rain !! even though its sunny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me the main issue with this May wasn't the rainfall, but the overall cold. Yesterday was the only day that actually felt like late spring, the rest of the days were mostly cool or chilly. The 2 week dry spell was a welcome break from the rain, but it still remained on the cool side, particularly in the evenings and at night.

for me the main issue with this May wasn't the rainfall, but the overall cold. Yesterday was the only day that actually felt like late spring, the rest of the days were mostly cool or chilly. The 2 week dry spell was a welcome break from the rain, but it still remained on the cool side, particularly in the evenings and at night.

My issue with the dry spell here was the lack of sunshine. It was persistently cloudy after the 14th. Any sunshine there was hazy or during the late evenings at sunset.

I found the month too cold for my liking also though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A little touch of summer here on the last day of spring. The high today was 19.6C and there was a bit of sunshine at times. It's also very breezy. There were a few drops of rain just now - the cold front? Currently it's 15.6C and sunny and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Wow the blinding setting sun tonight in Meath. First sight of it in days and days. Maybe a good sign for tomorrow :)

Spot the difference.

BuL6Ric.png

7EVzPT6.png

• Advertisement

Over the past 24 hours the ensemble runs are continuing to get poorer. Up to yesterday they were showing some nice mild or very warm runs, but now the cooler than average temperatures of early next week have been extended from 4 days to possibly 10 days.

It now looks quite cool from June 2nd to June 13th with rainfall well above normal at times. There are signs that it may become slightly dryer mid month - but still wet, but that is no guarantee. I can see June giving March a run for it's money in terms of rainfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Over the past 24 hours the ensemble runs are continuing to get poorer. Up to yesterday they were showing some nice mild or very warm runs, but now the cooler than average temperatures of early next week have been extended from 4 days to possibly 10 days.

It now looks quite cool from June 2nd to June 13th with rainfall well above normal at times. There are signs that it may become slightly dryer mid month - but still wet, but that is no guarantee. I can see June giving March a run for it's money in terms of rainfall.

Water tables are down so around here so definitely some rainfall is required before any better summer weather arrives ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Even after 3 days of rain Sligos May rain finished at 48.5mm give or take 40 minutes.

June will be 150mm then low for July August.

Thats my Summer prediction for Northwest though probably just echoing sryans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finished with 94mm of rain in Castlebar for May, nowhere near the 1986 record of 208mm, but we were actually on course for one of our driest Mays in 75 years up till Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Warming up in Longyearbyen, Norway.

02-gruvedalen.jpg

Within the next couple of weeks there will be no snow in this picture even on the mountains.

This is perfectly normal by the way.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Summer has now arrived!

New thread for general summer chat and observations >>>

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057984218

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely out.. very fresh and lively but the lane is awash and exuberant with wild flowers as the rain takes effect.

Been three days since I was last along there and the difference in growth is amazing. Just checked my kale seedling box and the same there.

The wild field looks... wild.. summer exuberance,

So much needed as others have said and no issues with rain or cool .

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looks like Wexford the place to be again

This morning Wexford is the last place most people would want to be.

Spring is indeed over now: Probably one of the overall coolest Spring's I can remember in a long time. Fire's lit from one end of Spring to the other.

Spring almost seemed colder than Winter this year and there were some weeks in March, April and even May that felt colder than some of the weeks in December and February especially.

If it wasn't for the 4 day warm spell in Easter, this would have been a properly chilly Spring overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

We must have had a completely different spring down here in Cork. Mostly mild in my books and the last month has been dry.

• Advertisement

Unlike most, I quite liked March. It was sunny and relatively mild. Most rain I did have here was limited to the first half and during the evening or night with fine (though at times windy) days. Had a ninja snow event on 3rd too. Second half was really nice with a great final week.

April was ok. Some very nice days like Easter Saturday to Easter Monday, 2nd, 7th or 10th but it felt too chilly for my liking outside of Easter, being exposed to easterly winds.

May was meh. Besides the 8th and 9th, felt the first half was nice but cold. Second half was boring and cloudy for the most part.

Not a memorable spring to me (huge contrast to Spring 2018 which was a very memorable season) and forgettable. This season lacked a progression in warmth - felt like many days in April and May were too similar in temperature to March.

May 2019 had a rainfall total of 40.6mm based on the 11-station grid (which MT uses for forecast contests) making it the sixth driest month of the decade. Only April 2017, September 2014, June 2018, March 2012 and March 2011 were drier.

More rainfall stats on the decade in my most recent post in the stats thread.

May 2019 brought 39.8mm of rain to Dunsany, much of that fell in the first week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just 26.0mm of rain in May in Dublin 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Less still in Arklow, just 21.6mm and just 2.8mm today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just 16mm here. My driest May on record.

May 2019 was the third dullest May on record at Dublin Airport (back to 1942) with only 139.0 hrs of sunshine and dullest since 1999. In comparison, Cork Airport had 214.1 hrs of sunshine which was its sunniest May since 2007.

Spring 2019 was mixed overall. Rather unusually so, minimum temperatures were recorded in the first week of April with -3.4c at Moore Park on the 5th and a grass min of -8.6c at Cork Airport on the same day. It was relatively milder than average but there have been warmer springs. Oak Park recorded the max of 22.9c on Easter Saturday, April 20th. Cork Airport had its wettest spring day on record on April 15th with 54.6mm.

https://cli.fusio.net/cli/bulletin/data/2019/14/sum_142019.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

FYI.

A post from cacatol on nw.

May 2019 was extraordinary for one factor in particular - namely the depth of the -NAO. After what felt like a never ending spell of +NAO setups for the most part (only 2 x -NAO months since end of summer 17 until we hit May this year) we hit a very low figure of -2.62. This is the lowest recorded May NAO score on NOAA records going back to 1950.

Cross reference this with seasonal impacts going forward. There is a theory out there that the NAO setup in May is an indicator of patterns for the following winter. So - which years had a May NAO of -1.5 or less? Answer:

2017, 2010, 2008, 1995, 1990, 1980, 1968.

Common theme here? None of the following DJF CET scores were higher than 1.6 and all bar 2 (1980/81 and 2017/18) were below 1.

FYI.

A post from cacatol on nw.

May 2019 was extraordinary for one factor in particular - namely the depth of the -NAO. After what felt like a never ending spell of +NAO setups for the most part (only 2 x -NAO months since end of summer 17 until we hit May this year) we hit a very low figure of -2.62. This is the lowest recorded May NAO score on NOAA records going back to 1950.

Cross reference this with seasonal impacts going forward. There is a theory out there that the NAO setup in May is an indicator of patterns for the following winter. So - which years had a May NAO of -1.5 or less? Answer:

2017, 2010, 2008, 1995, 1990, 1980, 1968.

Common theme here? None of the following DJF CET scores were higher than 1.6 and all bar 2 (1980/81 and 2017/18) were below 1.

What does he mean by scores?

• Advertisement
Advertisement