Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2020 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

John Wall has asked for a trade.
    Only real option is a Westbrook trade..... which

This is so funny to me, lad hasn't played in over 2 years, he got injured at home while already injured, all he has to do is hang around at home in Washington collecting his millions and the fans will consider him a franchise legend, but for some reason now he wants out

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It's nowhere near 2016 levels but there's a lot of money going around for pretty average players this Free Agency.

You could argue it’s worse because the revenue projections then were only going up. It’s likely there won’t be fans this season, revenues will plummet. Free agents next year or the year after could get screwed after this.

You could argue it’s worse because the revenue projections then were only going up. It’s likely there won’t be fans this season, revenues will plummet. Free agents next year or the year after could get screwed after this.

Yeah we'll see how it goes, obviously a lot of 2016 is hindsight but even back then there was uproar at contracts like the one given to Mozgov, don't think we have anything quite that bad right now, though the Pistons are really trying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

At the rate things are going the only teams selecting first-round players in the draft for the next five years will be OKC and Boston

At the rate things are going the only teams selecting first-round players in the draft for the next five years will be OKC and Boston

The way things are going Boston will offer all of their picks for the number 1 pick, who won’t sign with them because he’s represented by Klutch, then settle for the 29th pick and some new basketballs whilst losing Tatum to the Lakers for nothing.

• Advertisement

Ibaka to the clippers, rondo to Atlanta, and crowder to the suns sum up last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Clippers still need a proper point guard to run their offence. Lakers and Atlanta doing the best in the off season so far

jk23 wrote: »
    Clippers still need a proper point guard to run their offence. Lakers and Atlanta doing the best in the off season so far

Lakers apart from Rondo look stronger than this year. Rumors they are looking at Bogdonovic too - if they land him it’ll be :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

This is so funny to me, lad hasn't played in over 2 years, he got injured at home while already injured, all he has to do is hang around at home in Washington collecting his millions and the fans will consider him a franchise legend, but for some reason now he wants out

He'd be a huge risk for anyone, he might come back half the player.

• Advertisement

Marc Gasol gone to the Lakers, everyone will be playing catch up again with the Lakers again...looking likely they will repeat

Marc Gasol gone to the Lakers, everyone will be playing catch up again with the Lakers again...looking likely they will repeat

They have a crazy amount of depth now. Le Bron will be resting up for the play offs :D

Corvo wrote: »
    They have a crazy amount of depth now. Le Bron will be resting up for the play offs :D

Any team up to challenge them this year? West conference actually looks easier for them to win than the finals Vs the eastern conference opponent

You have Brooklyn, Miami, Bucks and 76rs and maybe the Celtics in the east

Any team up to challenge them this year? West conference actually looks easier for them to win than the finals Vs the eastern conference opponent

You have Brooklyn, Miami, Bucks and 76rs and maybe the Celtics in the east

I still think The Clippers could very well turn it around after a total collapse in the play-offs, and still have some real quality there (Paul George, Kawhi and now of course Ibaka) and I don't think anyone would like to face them. Denver should improve as well, but I think you are right, the main threat may come from the east.

The James Harden situation to Brooklyn may swing everything yet.

Some signings today...Bam gets the max contract with the Heat, Demarcus Cousins signs with Houston Rockets, Ingram gets a big contract with the Pelicans and Delledova back with the Cavs

• Registered Users Posts: 36,095 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Lakers have not done what I expected them to do. I thought they would try and retain the squad in large part but moving out big personalities like Rondo, Howard and McGee who all contributed throughout the year is very interesting. It’s a significant amount of change.

I’ve gone back and forth on this tbh, but I think they’ve probably made themselves better during the regular season and weaker in the playoffs. Schroder and Harrell give them a viable offense when LeBron and Davis are off the floor, but it will be hard to accommodate Harrell in playoff rotations. Gasol was a great player and Morris did well last year but I’d probably still rather Howard and McGee who offered a huge defensive advantage during the regular season last year.

Interesting to see how it all shakes out. Maybe the strategy here is to really manage minutes for LeBron and Davis through the regular season and that fit, etc won’t matter in the playoffs? We’ll see.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The Lakers have not done what I expected them to do. I thought they would try and retain the squad in large part but moving out big personalities like Rondo, Howard and McGee who all contributed throughout the year is very interesting. It’s a significant amount of change.

I’ve gone back and forth on this tbh, but I think they’ve probably made themselves better during the regular season and weaker in the playoffs. Schroder and Harrell give them a viable offense when LeBron and Davis are off the floor, but it will be hard to accommodate Harrell in playoff rotations. Gasol was a great player and Morris did well last year but I’d probably still rather Howard and McGee who offered a huge defensive advantage during the regular season last year.

Interesting to see how it all shakes out. Maybe the strategy here is to really manage minutes for LeBron and Davis through the regular season and that fit, etc won’t matter in the playoffs? We’ll see.

Interesting take. I actually think they got a lot stronger. I don't think Gasol will be as bad as he was in the bubble and defensively he's on a different level to what JaVale and Dwight offered. I agree on Montrezl, not so sure on Schroder, I do think he's bee under-rated and under-used. One thing they have done is take goofyness and d*ckheads out of the team, I'd imagine chemistry will be a lot better simply by not having some of the JR, Javale, Dwight, Waiters, and yes, Rondo out of there would be addition by subtraction. I think they've gotten an awful lot more serious about the task at hand. I can't imagine Marc Gasol putting up with crap tbh.

I think they're string favorites to repeat, and I say that as a Boston fan so it kills me. I also don't think they're done trading, I'd expect a move post All Star Break. I do think had the Bucks gotten Bogdonovic they've have been stronger, but that's dead in the water now. They need to do something post All Star Break too IMO.

Rockets really moving like they're keeping Harden and Westbrook now, which makes their willingness to trade Covington for picks extremely bizarre.

Rockets really moving like they're keeping Harden and Westbrook now, which makes their willingness to trade Covington for picks extremely bizarre.

They'll move one or both eventually, it's just a matter of time. They're not going to win anything so it's I'd imagine a d*ck measuring contest between Frittata (yes, I know that's not how you spell it) and the two players, with a bit of Morey thrown in.

If he (Fritata) can manage his pride the best return is from Philly (Simmons), but will he do it, that's the question?

San Antonio refused to deal with the Lakers a few years ago when Leonard wanted out and it cost them enormously. If Fritata is the businessman he always talks about himself being he should take the best deal possible. San Antonio had the excuse of LA were in the same conference, that doesn't apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Hon the Hawks! Defence is still behind the couch frightening for the most part but it has been a great off season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Just listened to the Podcast “Whistleblower” by journalist Livingston. It’s a series of short episodes detailing the accounts of referee Tm Donaghy betting scandal, there is a ton of very interesting stuff in there, some of it blew me away but can’t say Iam surprised at all even if a tiny portion of the accusations are true regarding the shenanigans within the NBA
    Apologies if it was brought up already, I sure the likes of Butters and co have probably listened to it
    I knew the story of Donaghy but so much more to the story as it’s told m the podcast series.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Hon the Hawks! Defence is still behind the couch frightening for the most part but it has been a great off season.

Looks really good! Trae Young, Bogdanovic, Reddish, Collins and Capela with Rondo ready to step in.

Be plenty of scoring at both sides! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Corvo wrote: »
    Looks really good! Trae Young, Bogdanovic, Reddish, Collins and Capela with Rondo ready to step in.

Be plenty of scoring at both sides! :D

Trae averaging 40 and 10 a game and every game with over 300 points, I'm here for it!

Is there a worse ex-player pundit than Kendrick Perkins?

F*cking Perkins again talking serious sh*t across numerous shows again. How the f*ck he has a job is a great mystery.

Just listened to the Podcast “Whistleblower” by journalist Livingston. It’s a series of short episodes detailing the accounts of referee Tm Donaghy betting scandal, there is a ton of very interesting stuff in there, some of it blew me away but can’t say Iam surprised at all even if a tiny portion of the accusations are true regarding the shenanigans within the NBA
    Apologies if it was brought up already, I sure the likes of Butters and co have probably listened to it
    I knew the story of Donaghy but so much more to the story as it’s told m the podcast series.

I’ve read and listened to tonnes on Donaghy, but not that. Thanks for the tip! Will give it a listen at the weekend.

4 episodes in and a few nuggets alright. The access to Donaghy takes this to a née level. How Scott Foster is still refereeing is amazing really given the association - whether he technically bet or not.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard a podcast with so many ads though! It’s like watching US tv, ads every couple of minutes.

4 episodes in and a few nuggets alright. The access to Donaghy takes this to a née level. How Scott Foster is still refereeing is amazing really given the association - whether he technically bet or not.

Don’t think I’ve ever heard a podcast with so many ads though! It’s like watching US tv, ads every couple of minutes.

I know, at least you can forward through them, the podcast can be a little repetitive but it just reinforces my thoughts on how staged the NBA can be and the impact refs have on the game, whether it’s due to corruption, influence by league commissioner, or plain arrogance, it takes away from the game.
    I’ve been growing a little bit frustrated with the NBA the past few years, it’s such a greedy sport (as are most pro sports) but I am not sure if I ll renew by season tickets, it’s a lot of money, When the team is bad, the lack of effort is infuriating and you lose so much money by not getting a fair resale value (I get the hypocrisy, was getting way over paid in resale during the glory days but it’s tough to justify it now especially with Covid)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,095 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a fan in any sport, loads of things are great and correct when you’re winning championships and the inverse is true when you’re not!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As a fan in any sport, loads of things are great and correct when you’re winning championships and the inverse is true when you’re not!

100% Agree, as is life.

• Advertisement

Jeez, the Scott Foster to Chris Paul comments before Game 7....did that happen? I didn't hear or read anything about it at the time. If it did, he's scumbag. He shouldn't be reffing anyway IMO for the closeness to Donaghy and the perception of that, but if he genuinely said that he should be out of the league.

Advertisement