Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Dolphins have named Tua the starter. I'm a bit flabbergasted, as Fitz was in the form of his career going back a good 16 games. I get its the bye week, and Tua was always going to take over eventually, but I think it's a bad decision given Fitzpatrick's form. Plus, have a somewhat legit shot at a wildcard.

Yeah, crazy. They have a legit shot at the division, never mind the wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It is a very brave forward looking move that I love, presuming Tua is performing well in practice. They picked him 5th in draft and the Dolphins team team looks solid enough that they aren't putting Tua in danger by throwing him in (either confidence or injury).

Tua was a much more polished QB coming out than some guys that have sat for a year or two and players learn a lot more by time on the field than in practice. If you want to get him up to speed to align with the Dolphins' upward trajectory the sooner you get him in the better.

Fitzpatrick has been good in the last few games but the recent opposition really flattered him, a god awful Jets, the 49ers down to their 8th string CB, Seahawks pass funnel defense etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

eagle eye wrote: »
    Will they let Fitz go for free. I'm sure he'll get a starting job somewhere else with the form he's shown so far. Rams, niners, Jags, Vikings could all do with help.

Baring an injury to their starter none of those teams would be playing Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Crazy to replace your starter when he's playing the best football of his career and replacing him with the unknown. It's the kind of move you'd put your job on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

adrian522 wrote: »
    Baring an injury to their starter none of those teams would be playing Fitzpatrick.

Probably not. But he's playing a hell of a lot better than their starters currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

adrian522 wrote:
    Well they should because their starters certainly aren't.

Probably not. But he's playing a hell of a lot better than their starters currently.

Fitzpatrick has been performing well recently against horrible competition. Garoppolo on one leg and missing several from his offense did similar to the Jets defense and I expect Goff will put in the same sort of performance when he gets his chance against them.

What we're seeing is Fitzpatrick's ceiling and all evidence points to the fact his ceiling performances don't last long. Sure he is better than the QB of a team that is tanking (Jags) and one that is in complete free fall (Vikings) but the thought that he could be dropped into the very complicated schemes of the Rams or 49ers and do better over the rest of the season than their current QBs is wishful thinking, at best (I say that as someone who has questioned the performance and ability of both Goff and Garoppolo over the last few months/years).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Excited to see Tua. Fitzmagic is doing really well and I absolutely love the guy but at the end of the day he is what he is, all we are waiting for is the inevitable game where he comes up against a decent defence and throws 3 INT’s. It happens every time at every team he goes to. He knows he is a placeholder QB and this was always going to happen. Tua must be tearing it up in practice.

Just saw Zeke’s interview after last night, felt bad for him. What a disaster of a season for the cowboys. Saw some rumbling on Twitter today of players apparently less than impressed with McCarthys regime and coaching. Not looking good for him there.

Excited to see Tua. Fitzmagic is doing really well and I absolutely love the guy but at the end of the day he is what he is, all we are waiting for is the inevitable game where he comes up against a decent defence and throws 3 INT’s. It happens every time at every team he goes to. He knows he is a placeholder QB and this was always going to happen. Tua must be tearing it up in practice.

Just saw Zeke’s interview after last night, felt bad for him. What a disaster of a season for the cowboys. Saw some rumbling on Twitter today of players apparently less than impressed with McCarthys regime and coaching. Not looking good for him there.

Seeing these two things together makes me think of the Cowboys as being a better destination for Fitzpatrick via trade than the other teams mentioned earlier. Cowboys are in win now mode, their scheme isn't super complicated, and between their very poor performing defense and offensive weapons a gun slinger would be a better solution than Dalton.

More of a fun thought than something likely to happen. Unless they get a crazy offer the Dolphins will keep him to provide support for Tua and backup in case something goes wrong.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Seeing these two things together makes me think of the Cowboys as being a better destination for Fitzpatrick via trade than the other teams mentioned earlier. Cowboys are in win now mode, their scheme isn't super complicated, and between their very poor performing defense and offensive weapons a gun slinger would be a better solution than Dalton.

More of a fun thought than something likely to happen. Unless they get a crazy offer the Dolphins will keep him to provide support for Tua and backup in case something goes wrong.

Cowboys are not winning anything with that secondary, I didn’t consider them serious contenders before the season for that reason and the season to date absolutely confirms it. They should have re-signed Byron Jones rather than Zeke

They would do as well to go 5-11 with Dalton and draft a few difference makers in the back end of that defence. Lamb looks great but he is the definition of a luxury pick given the other needs they had going in to that draft.

Edit: would agree that Fitzpatrick would be fun to watch in that offence if nothing else

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote:
    What we're seeing is Fitzpatrick's ceiling and all evidence points to the fact his ceiling performances don't last long. Sure he is better than the QB of a team that is tanking (Jags) and one that is in complete free fall (Vikings) but the thought that he could be dropped into the very complicated schemes of the Rams or 49ers and do better over the rest of the season than their current QBs is wishful thinking, at best (I say that as someone who has questioned the performance and ability of both Goff and Garoppolo over the last few months/years).
    There's nothing complicated about the Rams or niners for QB's.
    You can't blame McCarthy for Elliott's fumbles, which both led to Cardinals touchdowns.
    What players were suggesting anything or is this just Twitter made up stuff?

And the 49ets will be fine in a week or two when Dalton has a few more reps with the first team. And the Cowboys offense is a far more complicated offense to master than the two you suggest are complicated.

You can't blame McCarthy for Elliott's fumbles, which both led to Cardinals touchdowns.

And the 49ets will be fine in a week or two when Dalton has a few more reps with the first team. And the Cowboys offense is a far more complicated offense to master than the two you suggest are complicated.

I think you are replying to two different people but on the Cowboys I didn’t blame McCarthy for anything? Saw some tweets quoting unnamed cowboys players stating that they felt the coaching was inadequate. Nothing confirmed of course, you’d have to be a moron to agree to go on the record saying that.

Would not surprise me however, it’s a locker room full of alpha guys who were told all offseason that they were Super Bowl contenders. The finger pointing is going to get underway shortly if it isn’t already. Losing Dak is no excuse, they have been absolutely pathetic since the season opening, particularly on defence where they let an All Pro corner / safety leave in free agency while piling cap and draft resources in to the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Not going to get a player to go on the record unless they are looking for a way out of Dallas. But the unhappiness is in the public domain, it has already been put to McCarthy who basically said there's nothing to see here.

radharc wrote:
    Not going to get a player to go on the record unless they are looking for a way out of Dallas. But the unhappiness is in the public domain, it has already been put to McCarthy who basically said there's nothing to see here.
    Well Twitter is full of crap so I'm not believing anything from unnamed sources.

You seen how long Jason Garrett got there so I can't see a Superbowl winning coach not getting the time to implement his system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Tua has been named the starting QB in Miami. It had to happen at some point but is after about two minutes against a god awful jets team in garbage time the time to do it ?

If it was in their head why not give him the full Jets game? That would make slightly more sense at least. He only made 2 throws I think against us, other than sitting on the field he'll be starting fresh with Donald staring him down for his first real action :eek:.

Well Twitter is full of crap so I'm not believing anything from unnamed sources.

You seen how long Jason Garrett got there so I can't see a Superbowl winning coach not getting the time to implement his system.

McCarthy will get a pass this year I think, certainly until the end of the season and probably in to 2021 but he is off to a really bad start. They will probably get rid of some position coaches at that stage. McCarthy is not calling the plays by all accounts.

If Dalton can get going they can probably still win the Division and get a home playoff game. Any decent team will destroy them in the postseason though.

I'll be taking the word of Shanahan's last 2 starting QBs (Ryan and Garoppolo) along with numerous other players on the offenses from all the teams Kyle has coached over yours when it comes to how difficult to initially get their heads around his playbook, despite how stripped back it was when he first installs it. There is a world of difference between the difficulty of throws a QB is asked to make on most Sundays in the scheme and the complexity the QB needs to understand and make decisions that impact how the overall offense performs in the system.

It is absolute nonsense the idea you can drop in an inconsistent journeyman into that scheme midseason and it'll be an improvement on a QB getting his form back post injury who just last season led the team to make a Super Bowl, especially when the journeyman's strengths don't even align to what is needed to run the scheme successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

But we're not just talking about ANY old inconsistent journeyman here...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Raiders O-Line has had a Covid outbreak. They were due to be on the late game Sunday but it’s been swapped with the Seahawks/Cards to ensure there is a late game. The Raiders/Bucks game could be the latest Covid-victim

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seems Antonio brown is all but confirmed to sign with the bucs. It’s supposed to be a 1 year deal with insensitive built in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Seems Antonio brown is all but confirmed to sign with the bucs. It’s supposed to be a 1 year deal with insensitive built in.

Appropriate typo there

If he was going anywhere I thought it might be there, he is from Florida and lives and trains there now. He looks up to Brady so there is at least some chance that Tom can keep him on the straight and narrow.

On the field this makes perfect sense, Evans and Godwin have both had injury issues and AB can fill any role required, outside, slot, doesn’t matter.

Bucs building nicely, great defence and that is some array of weapons Brady has now if he does sign there. Evans, Godwin, Brown & Gronk. Who do you cover?

Appropriate typo there

Okay what typo ? I’m not convinced he’ll even see out the year unless he’s addressed the other issues he’s had.

Edit: oh I see it. Incentive instead of insensitive.

He won't last, too much trouble. He will not be able to keep his mouth shut for a start. He can't fight with teammates or coaches either.
    As for Tom Brady, he lasted less than two weeks in New England while Brady was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He won't last, too much trouble. He will not be able to keep his mouth shut for a start. He can't fight with teammates or coaches either.
    As for Tom Brady, he lasted less than two weeks in New England while Brady was there.

Was gonna say, not sure why we think Brady is a moderating influence on him, the only evidence we have suggests Brady is intolerant of bull****. And antonio brings a big pile of that everywhere he goes. Would love to see him back to his best though, he's phenomenal when he's on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Taken from reddit, just in case someone hasn't been following him too closely

• Drove 100 down McKnight Road in Pittsburgh, which has a 45 MPH speed limit

• Trashed a condo and threw furniture out a window 14th floor window, which almost hit some people, notably a child

• Killed a home aquarium full of piranhas and refused to pay the man who installed the tank

• Refused to play week 17 for the Steelers

• Dyed his mustache blonde

• Refused to pay a chef because he thought he threatened him by placing a fish head in the freezer (the fish head was saved to make a soup)

• Farted on a doctor

• Demanded a trade from the Steelers

• Became "Mr. Big Chest"

• Threw a fit over Juju winning team MVP and trashed him on social media

• (Allegedly) nixed a trade that would've sent him to the Bills

• Showed up to Raiders training camp in a hot air balloon

• Held out and refused to show up to training camp because the NFL would not approve his helmet because it was too old for their safety standards

• Froze his feet

• Tried to paint over his old helmet, hoping no one would notice I guess

• Acquired a newer version of the same model of helmet, which the NFL refused to let him use

• Picked out a new helmet and finally showed up to the Raiders

• Got fined by the Raiders for not attending camp

• Tweeted the fines

• Tried to fight Mike Mayock, called him a cracker, had to be held back by Vontaze Burfict, then punted a football down the practice field and said "fine me for that"

• Got fined for that

• Released a video where he used audio of Jon Gruden, who didn't know he was being recorded, which is illegal in California (full disclosure, Gruden has said he gave permission, but the generally accepted theory is that he said that in the hope that it would help get him to show up to the facility and not alienate him)

• Demanded a release from the Raiders

• Was released

• "GRANDMA I’M FREEEEEE! FLY LIKE A FREEEEE!"

• Made a lot of crazy tweets saying stuff like 'Devil is a lie', a proverb about burning down a village... he made a lot of crazy tweets around this time is the point here

• Liked a tweet about Mayock getting raped in the ass

• Signed with the Patriots

• Moved in with Tom Brady

• The sexual assault allegations came out (the one where he's getting sued)

• The sexual harassment allegations came out (the one where he's not getting sued)

• Threatened the woman not suing him in a group text that included his lawyer and had a picture of her kids in the text

• Got released by the Patriots after one week

• Went off on a tweet storm and said a lot of crazy **** about a lot of people, and was supportive of people sending threats to the writer of the article detailing the sexual harassment allegations

• Said he was done with the NFL

• Went back to college via online classes

• Tried to outsource his homework to Twitter

• Wants to come back to the NFL

• Filed several grievances to try and get more than $40 million from the Raider's and Patriots

• Was ordered to show up for a deposition regarding trashing the condo

• Was accused of "reprehensible behavior" during the deposition (which is it's own insane thread, btw), which included, but was not limited too:

"Arrived nearly 30 minutes late to the deposition."

“[C]hanted, over and over, as if a mantra, a narrative of his own warped concept of the proceeding”.

“Acting as if he was above the rule of law, [Brown] proceeded to make a mockery of the deposition process. [Brown’s] antics were so unreasonable that barely twenty [20] minutes into the deposition, his counsel asked for a break [so] he could speak with [Brown] about his demeanor.

“After approximately [20-30](tel:2030) minutes, [Brown] required another break. When the deposition resumed [Brown] increased his level of obstructive behavior. At one point, [Brown] refused to answer any questions, instead saying “next question” no less than 10 times.”“Soon thereafter, [Brown] started announcing a countdown, starting at ‘five (5) minutes,’ and counting down the minutes thereafter. Before noon [Brown] left the conference room.”

• Said that the Patriots have to pay him anyway, so they might as well let him play

• Tweeted a couple of bizarre tweets about the Raiders using him for HBO ratings and the Patriots trying to steal his stuff and kept using this weird chicken based metaphor

• Tried out for the Saints and brought an entourage and film crew to shoot a music video with him when specifically told not to do that

• Called out Robert Kraft for his rub and tug massage session in Florida

• Starting training for a boxing match with Logan Paul

• Tweeted "No more white woman [2020](tel:2020)"

• The attorney representing him in the suit involving the condo quit

• Used a bunch of slurs and profane language towards cops in an Instagram video he posted

• A police youth football league cut ties with him and returned a donation after the release of the video saying there was a "irreparable rift" between the department and AB

• Threw a bag of gummy candy dicks at the cops in a video he posted

• Got dropped by his agent

• Was involved in a disputed with movers at his home where he allegedly threw rocks at the movers and moving vans. He is currently being investigated for battery by the police.

• His trainer was arrested and he is still a suspect in the battery case.

• Warrant issued for the arrest of AB.

• AB turns himself in to Broward Country Jail wearing this suit

• Rumors spread about AB signing with Tampa or Seattle

• AB announces his retirement (for what I believe is the third time, it's hard to find a good record of the rest of them)

• Two days later AB wants to play again and is asking for the league to wrap up it's investigation

• Joins TB12 in Tampa bay

I believe this list was compiled by u/foryewhoartliterate

Shouldn’t be allowed back in the league.

The talent is too much to resist, guys who are that good will always get another chance whether they deserve it or not.

That said, Arians was quite firm back in March about not wanting him in the locker room. The theory is that it’s TB pushing to go get him. He will be on a short leash either way.

If I had to guess I can’t see him getting to week 17, something bad will happen and he’ll be cut. Picked him up in fantasy a week or so ago anyway just in case!

Jesus I’d forgotten about some of those things and I’d not been followed how his court appearances were going but it sounds like they went much like you’d expect. When Vontaze Burfict is the voice of reason maybe it’s them it’s you.

I’d love to know what the league and the Buccaneers think has changed that they think this time around will be in any way different to the list of stuff that he’s done already. I’m always willing to give someone a second chance but at some point you need to cut your loses. And ffs can someone close to him get him help that he clearly needs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

To be fair he was dropped due to being about to be banned from prior transgressions as opposed to doing anything in NE iirc.

Having said that he probably will do something dumb. Not sure how much harm it could be though. I don't think his time in NE helped or hindered the team. If it's a 1 in a hundred chance he plays it is worth it for a team very much in win now mode.

Advertisement