Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to look for a House in Dublin with Backlaneway or Side Entrance

• 09-01-2019 1:57pm
    Site Banned Posts: 3

Hey All
    This is my first post on Boards.ie and hopefully ill get some good answers , to cut a long storey short ,my parents have sold there building in the City Centre and are buying a Terraced house in Dublin , i am looking for a House with a side entrance or Back Lane accessible by the public so i can build a Granny Flat to the rear as i will look at it as an investment where i can claim 14k in Rent.

is this a thing a Letting Agency can acquire for you? or has anyone any experience on the said Topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Afaik you can't claim the rent-a-room relief when it's a self-contained unit. You'll also struggle to get planning for a granny flat when there's no granny that's moving in.

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Anglo1978

LirW wrote: »
    Afaik you can't claim the rent-a-room relief when it's a self-contained unit. You'll also struggle to get planning for a granny flat when there's no granny that's moving in.

ive seen multiple grannys flats advertised on Daft/Myhome , of there is a shed out the back in the new house with access surely i can build a 1 bedroom apartment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anglo1978 wrote: »
    ive seen multiple grannys flats advertised on Daft/Myhome , of there is a shed out the back in the new house with access surely i can build a 1 bedroom apartment

They do not qualify for rent-a-room relief if not attached to the house (and actually connected to it, etc).

You will need planning permission which is unlikely to be given unless there is a full-width road rather than a lane.

• Administrators Posts: 53,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anglo1978 wrote: »
    He's saying that such a dwelling would not be eligible for the 14k tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Most houses in Palmerstown have lanes. I wouldn't fancy having to walk down a dark lane everyday when coming home from work. Then the kids hanging around outside my door in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could buy a house with a large garden and build an extension ,
    or buy a house with a garage at the side and turn it into a bedroom.
    i think the person renting has to be living in the same building as you
    if you want to claim rent a room tax credits .
    So i see little advantage to buying a house with a rear entrance
    except it may make it easier to bring in building materials .
    If you decide to build an extension to enlarge the house ,eg
    that is part of the house .

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Anglo1978

Some more clarification from a builder

DCC will not allow you to build a stand alone apartment in your garden. No matter what people say you will not get planning. So lots people just go ahead and hope for the best…. not a great plan I think

My advise is to attach it to your home in a smart way. So its attached but not really connected. It will have its own entrance and space.

You do not then need planning if you are under 40m2 (once the house has no other extension) If it has, you will need planning.
    We can organise this for you and apply on your behalf as we know what will pass and what will not.

Then you can let the property out on daft or my home and you can earn up to €14,000 per year tax free under rent a room scheme

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OP gone, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement