Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pearl jam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

this is for the guy saying he liked eddie drinking the wine ;) took it in Glasgow
    ed2.jpg

New Pj album in September, thats from Stone Gossards mouth so fingers crossed..

Theyve played Slane in 93, Cork&Dublin in 96(got to meet Eddie that time:), Dublin 2000, Dublin 2006 so theyre due back and they are coming back for a full scale european tour this autumn after these 4 quick dates..all of which i'm going to..seen em 21 times all round Europe & the US...best live band ever..
    i'd go..
    No Code, Lost Dogs(you HAFTA own this..pure magic!) Yield, Vitalogy, Binaural, Vs, Riot Act, Ten...

all the live stuffs amazing but Live on two Legs is a good representation of them at that stage (1998)

Get Live at Benaryoa Hall for a FULL acoustic show. Classic stuff on there :)

here's me photos from Glasgow 2000
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bugsfotos/sets/72057594086649154/
    where i got this
    edpic.jpg

Best band ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

Creature wrote: »
    They played in Cork before, think it was the supporting No Code tour. They also played Slane way back in 1992 if I'm right. I'd say we're unlikely to get anything other than a single Dublin date in future.

sucks about just 1 dublin show. i saw they are playing london and manchester in august....def would be up for them

this is for the guy saying he liked eddie drinking the wine ;) took it in Glasgow
    ed2.jpg

New Pj album in September, thats from Stone Gossards mouth so fingers crossed..

Theyve played Slane in 93, Cork&Dublin in 96(got to meet Eddie that time:), Dublin 2000, Dublin 2006 so theyre due back and they are coming back for a full scale european tour this autumn after these 4 quick dates..all of which i'm going to..seen em 21 times all round Europe & the US...best live band ever..
    i'd go..
    No Code, Lost Dogs(you HAFTA own this..pure magic!) Yield, Vitalogy, Binaural, Vs, Riot Act, Ten...

all the live stuffs amazing but Live on two Legs is a good representation of them at that stage (1998)

Get Live at Benaryoa Hall for a FULL acoustic show. Classic stuff on there :)

here's me photos from Glasgow 2000
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bugsfotos/sets/72057594086649154/
    where i got this
    edpic.jpg

Best band ever!!!

couldnt agree more about lost dogs. great b sides record....shows the funner side of pearl jam. yield and no code are my top 2 fav albums as well. it just shows off perfectly what pearl jam are in my opinion. i have to get my parents to scan my picture in entertainment weekly a few years back. i was pictured in a diary of a pearl jam fan article. was pissed out of my mind with a bottle of wine and these people asked to take my picture. i spotted it in the magazine about 3 months later. hilarious stuff. the magazine is still back home with my parents in america.

awesome pics and im jealous over the guitar pick, lol. benaroya hall is a great cd. also, their touring band 2000 dvd, live at the garden and imagin in corrice (not sure of spelling) are fantastic live dvds

ive been listening to given to fly a lot lately. i came up with a great meaning for the song. it sounds to me like a guy is on death row and hes been sentenced to death. death being electric chair. the chorus and how the guitar riff is played, reminds me of an electric shock/burst. way out crazy idea, i know. but pearl jam loves everyone to come up with their own meaning. give it a listen and let me know what you think

Their best dvd is single video theory..it's skimpy but it's brilliant...he explained given to fly a few times as a guy in an asylum who gets out&you know the rest of the story..so your not far off :)

Their best dvd is single video theory..it's skimpy but it's brilliant...he explained given to fly a few times as a guy in an asylum who gets out&you know the rest of the story..so your not far off :)

never saw that, but heard its awesome. live in showbox is supposed to be good too.

always got the feel in the beginning of the song, a guy was escaping from a mental institute. a wave came crashing like a fist to the jawwwwwww....delivered him wings, hey look at me nowwww!!!! love that song!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

DimeJinky99, how do you know they touring in Autumn? Gonna be expensive time of year for me then, with Progressive Nation too:D

It's listed on the O2 London venue website, but theyve said in interviews theyll be back to Europe this year & America too..no touring next year cos one of the band is having a baby.

www.pearljam.com has the info on the 4 tour dates in august.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

How hard is it to get tickets? Would I be better off joining the 10 club for $25?

Neo# wrote: »
    How hard is it to get tickets? Would I be better off joining the 10 club for $25?

i wouldnt bother joining the ten club to get tix. it goes by how long people have been a member. the people who have been a member the longest get first shot at tix and its only a certain number set to go to ten club members. im not sure how big it is in europe, but in america, people have been members since like 1991 and if you join now you have like no shot at pit tix or anything. although, its still cool to join and get the xmas single and newsletters :)

ive been to about 10 of their shows and im not a ten club member. for me, its only worth it if i can get in the pit. floor seating tends to suck because you cant see very well. if im not in the pit, id rather be up in the stands for a better vantage point. but thats just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 munyshaker

www.pearljam.com has the info on the 4 tour dates in august.
    thanks for link
    love them ten has to be one the best albums ever
    scuzz is playing jeremy alot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

always got the feel in the beginning of the song, a guy was escaping from a mental institute. a wave came crashing like a fist to the jawwwwwww....delivered him wings, hey look at me nowwww!!!! love that song!

Pearl Jam are the best band ever right.....but Given To Fly is the exact same as Going To California by Led Zep......

Pearl Jam are the best band ever right.....but Given To Fly is the exact same as Going To California by Led Zep......

i think the beatles are the best band ever. pearl jam is MY favorite band. everyone is influenced by someone.....never heard the similarity though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nah, going to California is a nice and mellow song, Given to Fly is much more angrier with slow and fast bits. Don't see the similarity myself either.

Jip wrote: »
    Nah, going to California is a nice and mellow song, Given to Fly is much more angrier with slow and fast bits. Don't see the similarity myself either.

i agree. slow then buildup to explosive chorus! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Jip wrote: »

There are definately similarities there, even the band realise that. Thats why they had a bit of fun with Robert Plant when they played together in 2005, PJ played given to fly and that was immediately followed be going to california!

There are definately similarities there, even the band realise that. Thats why they had a bit of fun with Robert Plant when they played together in 2005, PJ played given to fly and that was immediately followed be going to california!

that show was in chicago right? red mosquito = one of my fav pearl jam songs. just had no code on today...brilliant

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

i wouldnt bother joining the ten club to get tix. it goes by how long people have been a member. the people who have been a member the longest get first shot at tix and its only a certain number set to go to ten club members. im not sure how big it is in europe, but in america, people have been members since like 1991 and if you join now you have like no shot at pit tix or anything. although, its still cool to join and get the xmas single and newsletters :)

ive been to about 10 of their shows and im not a ten club member. for me, its only worth it if i can get in the pit. floor seating tends to suck because you cant see very well. if im not in the pit, id rather be up in the stands for a better vantage point. but thats just my opinion

It only goes on seniority in the States mostly. I joined in '06 and got pretty good seats in MSG! I find the 10c membership very useful for the European shows as it gives the chance to get tix in a presale, and saves relying on Ticketmaster. Also, you get early entry - so I've been front row quite a few times :D

I have "Given to Fly" tattooed on my shoulder in Ed's handwriting from the Yield booklet - needless to say I kinda like the song and it beats getting a stickman tattoo :D

jenizzle wrote: »
    It only goes on seniority in the States mostly. I joined in '06 and got pretty good seats in MSG! I find the 10c membership very useful for the European shows as it gives the chance to get tix in a presale, and saves relying on Ticketmaster. Also, you get early entry - so I've been front row quite a few times :D

I have "Given to Fly" tattooed on my shoulder in Ed's handwriting from the Yield booklet - needless to say I kinda like the song and it beats getting a stickman tattoo :D

i might have to join then since im not living in ireland :) i cant wait to see them over here. concerts/festivals here have a totally different atmosphere....and better beer!

yea, stickman tattoo's have been killed. the green disease skull would be a cool one to get. a yield sign too, hahahaha. i got my first tattoo about 6 months ago...i want like 10 more now, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Anyone here going to the gig in London?? If so I'll see ya there!! :D

• Advertisement

I'll be in London... and Berlin and Manchester ;) Feckin' loads of Irish will be there!

Anyone here going to the gig in London?? If so I'll see ya there!! :D

trying to talk the wife into manchester and/or london. if not, i might go it alone, lol

I'm all booked up for all four! it's gonna be epic!!

I've been right up front and right at the back, which does suck but as long as i'm in the room :)

They HAFTA play the new O2..the furthest seat from the stage is 63 meters!! you'll be close no matter where you are!
    and theyre deffo due back here 'cos they skipped us last time..even though the tour before that they were rehearsing in the Point for a whole week! we were the first date of that tour though..hopefully they end a tour here someday..

I'm all booked up for all four! it's gonna be epic!!

I've been right up front and right at the back, which does suck but as long as i'm in the room :)

They HAFTA play the new O2..the furthest seat from the stage is 63 meters!! you'll be close no matter where you are!
    and theyre deffo due back here 'cos they skipped us last time..even though the tour before that they were rehearsing in the Point for a whole week! we were the first date of that tour though..hopefully they end a tour here someday..

did tix go on sale yet? we need to meet up and have a mass drinking fest before the concerts start, lol

got mine from tenclub..more expensive than Ticketbastard weirdly..but i don't care..it's gonna be huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'll be in London... and Berlin and Manchester ;) Feckin' loads of Irish will be there!

Same here. I wanted to go to Rotterdam as well, but I just can't afford it. Actually, I can't afford the other three either, but sure fúck it. Cannot wait.

There is a meet-up arranged for the Manchester!

See here. There isn't one arranged yet for the London show but no doubt there will be! Tribesman, you should go it alone if you have to! I went to see them in lots of places on my own... sometimes there's no better way!!

There is a meet-up arranged for the Manchester!

See here. There isn't one arranged yet for the London show but no doubt there will be! Tribesman, you should go it alone if you have to! I went to see them in lots of places on my own... sometimes there's no better way!!

i hate flying alone...thats my only gripe, lol. also, money might not allow for it....but ill try my best. i need to tailgate with some vino though, haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Just booked my flights. I'll get on a hostel for Berlin soon enough (any recommendations?).

For a while there, I though Springsteen was replacing Pearl Jam as the band/artist I was madly obsessive over. Since these concerts have been announced it's been nothing but PJ. It's good to be back :D:p

• Advertisement

Anyone need a copy of the Pearl Jam Limited edition poster book? the orange one? it's signed and numbered by Ames brothers and Brad Klausen and has the three art prints that came with it. It's pricey but it's gorgeous and way better than the ordinary green one...it's got cool little notes on the posters from Eddie and the rest of the band on all their posters since 95 and has 30 pages of sketches and mylar overlays at the back showing you how the posters are made..PM me if you're interested..
    0155.jpg

from Ames bros:

"Pearl Jam vs. Ames Bros: 13 Years of Tour Posters", - a chronology of Pearl Jam's celebrated concert posters spanning 1995-2007. The book includes over 200 poster art images from renowned artists Ames Bros and Brad Klausen. A limited edition, signed and numbered, copy of the poster book.

Opening with a written forward by Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament and introduction by the Ames Bros, the 264-page hard cover book features 229 posters designed by Ames Bros and Pearl Jam artist Brad Klausen. "Pearl Jam vs. Ames Bros" features over 80 comments on individual posters from all five members of Pearl Jam and running commentary from the poster designers -- offering insight into the inspiration, concepts and process of poster creation.

Featured interviews in "Pearl Jam vs Ames Bros" include: brothers Jeff and Barry Ament discussing their upbringing in Montana, early artistic collaborations and their working relationship; Ames Bros' Coby Schultz and Barry Ament recounting their day to day life at Ames Bros, the process and inspiration behind the posters and early history preceding Ames Bros; and an interview between Joe Barela of Seribellum Press and Coby Schultz.

The entire book was meticulously designed by Ames Bros and edited by Jacob McMurray, Senior Curator of the Experience Music Project (EMP) in Seattle, WA.

The special, limited edition "Pearl Jam vs Ames Bros" includes: a Certificate of Authenticity page signed and numbered by Barry Ament, Coby Schultz and Brad Klausen; 32 bonus pages featuring 250+ sketches, notes and original poster art taken from the sketchbooks of the artists; eight special "scientific" mylar overlays offering an insight into the printing process behind two featured poster - all wrapped in a special brilliant orange cover. Also included is a custom slipcase of the same material with debossed cover art.

Limited Edition of "13 Years of Tour Posters." Signed and numbered limited to 2,600 copies.

Advertisement