Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancestry subs discussion

• 24-10-2019 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

BowWow wrote: »
    I was disappointed Ancestry not there. Last year I renewed my subscription at the show and got 20% off. My sub is up now - will have to wait for a special offer....

Try this offer for 50% off:
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe?dna=crossAct
    It's an ongoing offer but sometimes it stops working. If that happens, just wait and try again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

A little off topic but looking for advice around ancestry subs.
    I don't really have any UK connections. But I know I have a lot of third and fourth cousins in the USA.
    What sub should I be looking to get? There seems to be different offers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You need Worldwide to see American records.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

cat_r wrote: »
    Try this offer for 50% off:
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/subscribe?dna=crossAct
    It's an ongoing offer but sometimes it stops working. If that happens, just wait and try again.

Thanks for posting, unfortunately was away away last week and couldn't do this - offer not as attractive today. Will wait and keep an eye on it.

Unbelievable rate of exchange that Ancestry use!

What rate are they using?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What rate are they using?

€0.77 = £1.00

Market €0.86 = £1.00

€0.77 = £1.00

Market €0.86 = £1.00

Ouch!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

€0.77 = £1.00

Market €0.86 = £1.00

In fairness to Ancestry that is not the full story. The rate they quote is an 'indicative rate' which means that the rate applied will be that prevailing at the time of the transaction.

What is more 'ouch' are the fee and rate structures charged by the Irish banks - anyone who has a few foreign currency transactions every year should have an account with an online bank such as for e.g. Revolut, where the rates prevailing are excellent and there are no forex commission charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

Thanks for posting, unfortunately was away away last week and couldn't do this - offer not as attractive today. Will wait and keep an eye on it.

Seems like Ancestry is not applying the discount in Ireland but still allowing it in the UK. You could use a reputable VPN and choose the UK setting, then pay by whichever card has best exchange rate/fees.

Ancestry Premium Membership for 12 months priced at £59.99 today.

Great value! Just renewed for the year. Was £119.99 coming up to Christmas.

• Advertisement

Ancestry Premium Membership for 12 months priced at £59.99 today.

Great value! Just renewed for the year. Was £119.99 coming up to Christmas.

Thanks.That is a v. good offer- but it's not showing up for me. What link are you using? Premium is showing at 119.99 for me. .

Thanks.That is a v. good offer- but it's not showing up for me. What link are you using? Premium is showing at 119.99 for me. .

This morning, when in my Ancestry account, I clicked on "Subscribe" button on top of page, that led me to it.
    That button is now labelled "Upgrade" for me.

Maybe it was time limited?

This morning, when in my Ancestry account, I clicked on "Subscribe" button on top of page, that led me to it.
    That button is now labelled "Upgrade" for me.

Maybe it was time limited?

Thanks BowWow. Tried it again, no success, then logged out and logged back in again. It worked, so I subscribed. :) There are a few public trees on the DNA site that I'm keen to see.
    My GBP a/c on Revolut continues to dwindle. I'll wait until Boris does his thing end January before I recharge it!

Thanks BowWow. Tried it again, no success, then logged out and logged back in again. It worked, so I subscribed. :) There are a few public trees on the DNA site that I'm keen to see.
    My GBP a/c on Revolut continues to dwindle. I'll wait until Boris does his thing end January before I recharge it!

Result!

Euro equivalent in my account today is €70.36, so an exchange rate of .85 - sounds about right. Think I paid €90 for my last year long sub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is that for a 'new' sub?

spurious wrote: »
    Is that for a 'new' sub?

My previous sub ran out at end Sep/start Oct. So I'd call it new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My previous sub ran out at end Sep/start Oct. So I'd call it new.

OK, I don't think they add on to the end of existing subs like FMP and others do. All about timing I guess.

Advertisement