Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

They will probably start you off on an automatic machine , then switch to fixed pressure after they download data from the automatic machine .
    GadgetGeek wrote: »
    I went in to hospital for my assessment. A week later I went back to the consultant who advised me of the results. He then referred the sleep technician to me, who promptly called to my house with the machine and equipment. The technician will discuss mask options. But the consultant selected an APAP for myself and there wasn't really a choose in the equipment for me.
    I subsequently bought my own gear as the drug payment scheme didn’t benefit me.

Thank you to both of you; good to know. If it is successful, I think I’d be going down the purchasing route too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I find a normal pillow ok just don't use a very stiff or firm one and I sleep to the very edge of it with a full face mask. Am currently using the AirTouch F20 with the foam cushion but will switch back to the silicon as I'm not happy with the seal using the foam.

Just on the CPAP vs APAP I would resist any attempt to be switched back to a traditional CPAP they're awful and I would say responsible for a lot of people stopping treatment. APAP is far smarter and only ups the pressure when required and provides exhalation relief.
    Just on the public v private I'm public but only get seen once per year and if I miss an appointment or its rescheduled its 9-12 months before the next one the system is definitely overloaded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Finally got an an appointment for the ENT department in the mater hospital, just short of 3 years after first going to my GP, does anybody know if there is a long waiting time for a sleep study after the first consultation?

Thanks.

Off home with my new CPAP machine & trying to stay optimistic. Got about 3 hours sleep total last night with it on. Wasn’t expecting a great night being in the hospital & all, but every time I moved, I seemed to have a leak which would have me wide awake with the blast of air & noise

Also feeling like an inflated balloon 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Yenwod wrote: »
    Off home with my new CPAP machine & trying to stay optimistic. Got about 3 hours sleep total last night with it on. Wasn’t expecting a great night being in the hospital & all, but every time I moved, I seemed to have a leak which would have me wide awake with the blast of air & noise

Also feeling like an inflated balloon ��

It takes time to get used to it and is hard at the start. No point saying otherwise. It took we a few attempts to get to grips with it before it just clicked. Stick with it and the benifits are almost instantanious.

• Advertisement

Yenwod wrote: »

Is it CPAP or APAP? CPAP used to fill my stomach with air and was horrible, when I was renting and didn't know about APAP machines I was told it was a consequence and to put up with it there was nothing could be done! APAP solved that problem instantly! What sort of mask have you got? How firm is the pillow? Also try sleep to the side of it so the mask almost hangs off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Is there some clinical reason that CPAP is still being prescribed over auto/variable devices?

To me it seems to be a complete lack of understanding of the issues with CPAP, I found out about APAP by accident 8 years ago when my medical card expired and I tried to source the same machine I had been renting. The suppliers came back and said we can get you that but for a few hundred more you can get a new APAP that will be more comfortable and perform the same function! I said it to my doc at the next appointment that I changed machine and they looked over the download from the machine and said it was fine. I did have issues getting the machine downloaded though as it wasn't supplied from one of the known companies (They didn't want to touch it said they could damage the machine) so now I download it myself and print off the stats and everyone is happy. I'm attending Peamount btw if it makes any difference. Before anyone changes machine they should check with their doc or at least the sleep clinic they attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Yenwod wrote:

Yenwod wrote:

I also felt this in the beginning, honestly it took 3 months, it was tough, but after that I couldn't be without it.
    Stick it out, like all things good for you it's hard in the beginning.
    My machine broke and I was without it for one night, my god, I felt like a bus hit me in the morning, couldn't wait to get to bed the next night.
    In fact now, once I put on the mask, I'm asleep in under 2 minutes.
    Hang in there, it's really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Masala

Sorry to ask.... what the difference between CPAP and APAP.

I have a nasal mask ... and presume I am CPAP. Just unsure what I am missing with APAP.

Thanks all

• Advertisement

A CPAP (Continuous positive airway pressure) machine is like sticking a leaf blower to your face for the night. Your prescription pressure is set into it which has to be somewhat higher than you need so that its guaranteed to keep the airway open after the ramp time - warm up time - expires it goes to full pressure and blows a gale all night.
    I had CPAP for the first 6 months or so and did get used to it but had all sorts of problems, lots of leaks, extremely dry mouth and troat, uncomfortable bloating etc. I was told it was that or have the Sleep Apnea slowly kill me!!

An APAP or Auto CPAP machine is much more intelligent, after the ramp time expires it monitors your breathing and if the breath is too shallow of it suspects an Apena is occuring it begins to increase the pressure until it has reopened the airway, then once it detects you exhaling it immediately drops the pressure providing exhalation relief. Where CPAP is like a leaf blower APAP is like sleeping beside an open window! The side affects I had with CPAP are mostly gone I've rarely a dry mouth, minimal leaks and never any bloating.
    I don't know why they persist subscriping CPAP machines they've obviously never had to use one!

tnegun wrote: »
    A CPAP (Continuous positive airway pressure) machine is like sticking a leaf blower to your face for the night. Your prescription pressure is set into it which has to be somewhat higher than you need so that its guaranteed to keep the airway open after the ramp time - warm up time - expires it goes to full pressure and blows a gale all night.
    I had CPAP for the first 6 months or so and did get used to it but had all sorts of problems, lots of leaks, extremely dry mouth and troat, uncomfortable bloating etc. I was told it was that or have the Sleep Apnea slowly kill me!!

An APAP or Auto CPAP machine is much more intelligent, after the ramp time expires it monitors your breathing and if the breath is too shallow of it suspects an Apena is occuring it begins to increase the pressure until it has reopened the airway, then once it detects you exhaling it immediately drops the pressure providing exhalation relief. Where CPAP is like a leaf blower APAP is like sleeping beside an open window! The side affects I had with CPAP are mostly gone I've rarely a dry mouth, minimal leaks and never any bloating.
    I don't know why they persist subscriping CPAP machines they've obviously never had to use one!

I have a Phillips Responics .. that seems to do the latter. Ramps up when needed and then levels out. So I must be on s APAP

FaganJr wrote: »
    I also felt this in the beginning, honestly it took 3 months, it was tough, but after that I couldn't be without it.
    Stick it out, like all things good for you it's hard in the beginning.
    My machine broke and I was without it for one night, my god, I felt like a bus hit me in the morning, couldn't wait to get to bed the next night.
    In fact now, once I put on the mask, I'm asleep in under 2 minutes.
    Hang in there, it's really worth it.

Great to hear! I’ve been at it 3 weeks now and cautiously optimistic. Have had some bad nights but also some good ones. Although I’m still tired, the extreme fuzziness of my brain seems to be lifting. I could actually concentrate for more than 5 minutes believe in work today! If this continues, I’ll be sold!!

Is it CPAP or APAP? CPAP used to fill my stomach with air and was horrible, when I was renting and didn't know about APAP machines I was told it was a consequence and to put up with it there was nothing could be done! APAP solved that problem instantly! What sort of mask have you got? How firm is the pillow? Also try sleep to the side of it so the mask almost hangs off it.
    I somehow missed everyone’s responses to me. Thanks all.

It’s CPAP. After 3 weeks on it, the trapped wind seems to have lessened a bit but not 100% - I’m back this week with consultant to see how I’m going so hoping the pressure isn’t increased or I’ll be bloated up again :D I’ll keep the APAP in mind though!

I got the full face mask but it gave me awful trouble across the top of my nose. Got it changer to one that sits under my nose but still covers my mouth. It’s so much better and easier to manage my pillow with.

I can’t say I’m fully used to it but it’s slowly getting more tolerable so definitely keeping optimistic about it

Can definately vouch for trying a few masks, and once you get the machine/mask combo right you'll bearly notice it anymore. The worst I have now is rain out where the condensation gathers and you roll over causing it to splash down on your face!! I think the next machine will have to have a heated tube!

Can definately vouch for trying a few masks, and once you get the machine/mask combo right you'll bearly notice it anymore. The worst I have now is rain out where the condensation gathers and you roll over causing it to splash down on your face!! I think the next machine will have to have a heated tube!

I just got rid of the water part and good to go now!

Do many of you spend time washing/ sterilising your mouthpiece and tubes???

Just that I had a bad vomiting bug recently and realised that I could be leaving that bacteria in my CPAP if I didn't sterilise it!!! Am I being paranoid??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have a humidifier with a heated tube. I use a nasal mask. Absolutely fantastic. Couldn't use anything else. A solid night's sleep,every night

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Masala wrote: »
    Do many of you spend time washing/ sterilising your mouthpiece and tubes???
    Ehhh.... maybe once a month. Usually. Have found that constant washing leads to the breakdown of the plastic.

=-=

On a side note; I use the nasal CPAP mask. Had used the fabric for the face part, but more recently bought the silicone replacement. Find it a LOT better.

[QUOTE=the_syco;111462071

On a side note; I use the nasal CPAP mask. Had used the fabric for the face part, but more recently bought the silicone replacement. Find it a LOT better.[/QUOTE]

.... haven't come across that !! You mean the fabric straps around the head and cheeks??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have a humidifier with a heated tube. I use a nasal mask. Absolutely fantastic. Couldn't use anything else. A solid night's sleep,every night

I might be getting another shot at a machine soon as had that sleeping test again.

When I tried on masks I didn’t like the feel of the nose mask so went with full face. Found it hard to get to sleep with it though which was why a silly consultant took me off the machine completely.

Any tips or advice on what I should ask in terms of mask for comfort?

Drumpot wrote: »
    I might be getting another shot at a machine soon as had that sleeping test again.

When I tried on masks I didn’t like the feel of the nose mask so went with full face. Found it hard to get to sleep with it though which was why a silly consultant took me off the machine completely.

I've been using this one for a couple of years, find it excellent - https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-professional/products/masks/airfit-20-series/airfit-f20.html

The only mask I've ever used is the nasal one. I immediately took to it even when I was doing the sleep study. I had a H9 (think that's the name) and kept sending it back because I found it too loud. I now have an airsence 10 and find it brilliant.

Masala wrote:
    Just that I had a bad vomiting bug recently and realised that I could be leaving that bacteria in my CPAP if I didn't sterilise it!!! Am I being paranoid??

Yeah once a month, should be grand, two years in, no problems

I must admit that I'm wicked lazy about cleaning it. Usually at some stage after an extended period, I'll look in the humidifier's water reservoir when I'm filling it and shudder, and only then will I get off my arse. Will give the mask a rub of an antiseptic wipe every couple of weeks. I think I cleaned the hose on my first machine once, and haven't since!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

corwill wrote: »
    I've been using this one for a couple of years, find it excellent - https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-professional/products/masks/airfit-20-series/airfit-f20.html

Using the same mask at that myself. I find the inside gets a bit manky after a few nights and needs a good wash out, just with soap and warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Masala wrote: »
    .... haven't come across that !! You mean the fabric straps around the head and cheeks??
    The part that goes around the cheeks.

It depends on what mask you have. This is a "replacement Mask Frame for the Respironics' Wisp Nasal Mask"; the fabric mask frame broke on me twice, so I decided to switch after reding posiitive reviews on it.

I got it from here, as it was the cheapest. As it's classed as a medical device, it was VAT free.

Find it holds the nasal mask a lot more firmer.

I was told earlier in the thread about distilled water for the humidifier. I find it brilliant. Anyway my local chemist charges €6.50 for 5 liters. Was in Halfords of all places,same water is €4.20 for 5 liters.

First off I got this mask - https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-professional/products/masks/airfit-20-series/airfit-f20.html but it destroyed the bridge of my nose. I must have very sensitive thin skin.

I switched to the https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/masks/airfit-f30.html which not only solved the issue I was having but I find it to be a much more comfortable and neater mask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If you are getting irritated by a mask it needs cleaning. Makes a huge difference.

I actually switched from the Airsense to the mini (I had both and actually preferred the mini) and it works fine. Was concerned about lack of humidity but not really an issue.

Advertisement