Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

upgrade ESB supply

• 09-03-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

hi there,

I had my Electric Vehicle home charger installation visit on Saturday but unfortunately I was told they could not install the EV charger. Reason is "10 mm2 supply to fuseboard requires upgrading to 16mm2". Apparently it will be against the regulation if do install it and could cost them their licence.

Anyway, I was told that I need to ring ESB to get them upgrade it and "reseal it". After this is done, I can then reschedule my appointment. I was also told this could cost approx €400.

Sorry I have no idea with any of this so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. The house is approx 45 years old.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

ESB won't connect new tails without a cert, if your tails are 10mm2 you will probably need earthing and bonding upgraded in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

You will need to hire a registered electrical contractor to install new tails for you and certify them (as the above poster said this may require additional work to complete). The cost of this will obviously vary from contractor to contractor amd depending on work required. Shopping around is reccommended.

Then you have to contact esb to have the tails wired into meter at a cost of €168.

A side note on this would be that your MIC may need upgrading. Seeing as the house is 45 years old it may be a MIC of 8kVa as opposed to the now standard 12 kVa or enhanced 16kVa supply. I think esb will upgrade to 12 kVa free of charge but they can best advise on that. The 16kVa supply would definately incurr charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

sparcocars wrote: »
    You will need to hire a registered electrical contractor to install new tails for you and certify them (as the above poster said this may require additional work to complete). The cost of this will obviously vary from contractor to contractor amd depending on work required. Shopping around is reccommended.

Then you have to contact esb to have the tails wired into meter at a cost of €168.

A side note on this would be that your MIC may need upgrading. Seeing as the house is 45 years old it may be a MIC of8kVa as opposed to the now standard 12 kVa or enhanced 16kVa supply. I think esb will upgrade to 12 kVa free of charge but they can best advise on that. The 16kVa supply would definately incurr charges.
    sorry to jump in on this, but can i ask whats involved in this?

Advertisement