Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional longbow making....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Interesting video but find it a bit odd that he's using what looks like an aged log to carve from. Shouldn't they be made from more flexible wood and not cut from big logs? That just my perception with zero knowledge on the subject. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

In order the get the two different types of wood needed for the back and belly of a D-cross-section self bow like this, you need a bow stave that starts off at least three or four inches square. Where HE lives, yew trees are obviously a lot bigger than they are here in UK, home of the longbow - his bow-wood staves ae simply quarter logs for convenience. I'd bet he knows full well what is needed to make a bow. If you are interested, perhaps you'd learn somethng from watching Richard Head, the famous English bowyer, on his Youtube channel.

Incidentally, the five longbows I made, a good while ago, it must be said, started off as three-inch square staves of lemonwood. Three of them are still in use, one was broken, having been loosed from full-draw without an arrow by a visiting newspaper reporter, and one was lost in a house fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I bet you were pretty pissed at the reporter.

Not I, Sir. The owner of the bow was, though. She had only had it a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Kloe_Kat

tac foley wrote: »
    In order the get the two different types of wood needed for the back and belly of a D-cross-section self bow like this, you need a bow stave that starts off at least three or four inches square. Where HE lives, yew trees are obviously a lot bigger than they are here in UK, home of the longbow - his bow-wood staves ae simply quarter logs for convenience. I'd bet he knows full well what is needed to make a bow. If you are interested, perhaps you'd learn somethng from watching Richard Head, the famous English bowyer, on his Youtube channel.

Incidentally, the five longbows I made, a good while ago, it must be said, started off as three-inch square staves of lemonwood. Three of them are still in use, one was broken, having been loosed from full-draw without an arrow by a visiting newspaper reporter, and one was lost in a house fire.

Not sure what wood he uses in the video but it is not yew.

• Advertisement

My wrong - he is Latvian and his name is Maris Zvers, one of a group of traditional craftsmen called the Northmen. I found him on Booktwitch, and I've asked him what the log of wood is that he uses to make the bow.

Here is a website - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ZversArchery?ref=l2-shop-info-avatar&listing_id=675386813

I have to say that his bows look totally drop-dead gorgeous - I'm very tempted to get one of his 58" recurves for bare-bow shooting.

'kay - here is his resplone -

Sender: Māris Zvērs Date: Just now 10:04 EDT

No problem. Bow was made of European Ash.

Regards,

Maris

Advertisement