Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,917 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Refund them?

Isn't it time people got the heave-ho for filing dodgy claims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Ah it just gets better and better. We have glorified fraudsters running the country unhindered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SIX POLITICIANS HAVE had to refund almost €10,000 in expenses this year after an audit found they could not provide supporting evidence to justify claiming such allowances.

Two Fine Gael TDs – Alan Farrell and Maria Bailey – and Fine Gael senator, Michelle Mulherin accounted for the bulk of the ineligible claims.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/tds-senators-expenses-dail-maria-bailey-4845883-Oct2019/

Seeing as the claims didn't pan out they needed free money from somewhere ;)

Bailey and Farrell A.K.A. Swings and roundabouts.

Enter the plucky Blue Shirt Squad, (or BS'ers) to ask us are we 'still on this?' Or 'sure others do worse so they do'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

illegitimate? you mean fraudulent?

refund? they should be pilloried in the town square.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭purifol0

Timely reminder that in other countrues including the one next door they actually jail people for this. After swing-gate Maria Bailey was simply annoyed that she had to step down as a committe chair - not resign in disgrace or get booted by the party. Nope Leo kept her on and kept the reults of FG's "internal investigation" a secret!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That's nice. I would be sacked.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

1 – TD Alan Farrell (FG) – €4,214.79
    2 – Senator Michelle Mulherin (FG) – €2,006.73
    3 – TD Maria Bailey (FG) – €1,977.11
    4 – Senator Lynn Ruane (Ind) – €978.81
    5 – Senator Colette Kelleher (Ind) – €245.85
    6 – Senator Jerry Buttimer (FG) – €227.16.

The clean TDs and Senators
    Finian McGrath (Ind)
    Clare Daly (I4C)
    Noel Rock (FG)
    Niall Collins (FF)
    Kate O’Connell (FG)
    Danny Healy-Rae (Ind)
    Seán Fleming (FF)
    Simon Coveney (FG)
    Martin Ferris (SF)
    Martin Kenny (SF)
    Michael Moynihan (FF)
    Michael Lowry (FG)
    Michael Collins (Ind)
    The senators audited were:

Rónan Mullen (Ind)
    Catherine Ardagh (FF)
    Tom Neville (FG).

So 4 out of 9 FGers were found to be dodgy, that's fairly shocking tbh

illegitimate? you mean fraudulent?

refund? they should be pilloried in the town square.

When we do it it's fraud when FG does it it's 'inappropriate' or 'oversight'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Wonder how much it adds up to after fines and interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,419 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If this was a report into a private companies expense practices it would quite legitimately be lauded as exposing a corporate culture of fraud and malfeasance.

I wonder what it says about Fine Gael as a body corporate?
    Where are the standards?
    What's the line between honest mistake, and a culture of fraud and pocket lining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

They should be sacked and prosecuted.

In my job you justify the spend before you get the money, then you better have an invoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

In my job you justify the spend before you get the money, then you better have an invoice.

I didn't think there were different setups.
    I presumed you spent your own money, sent the receipts to work, they pay you back outside of your salary so you are not taxed on it for a second time.

TDs seem to just claim without receipts and hope no one notices

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Two Fine Gael TDs – Alan Farrell and Maria Bailey – and Fine Gael senator, Michelle Mulherin accounted for the bulk of the ineligible claims.

3 names that are by no means strangers to the newspapers for questionable practices.

One for a suspicious insurance claim.

The other for lodging a suspicious insurance claim after an earlier shake down of the same business for twenty grand didn't work.

The other for expecting tax payers to pick up the tab for her fornicating phonecalls to her African Prince.
    Bailey, a TD for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown was removed as chair of the Oireachtas Committee on Housing in July as a result of her controversial personal injuries claim after falling from a swing in a Dublin hotel.

Farrell was also criticised for making a €15,000 claim for whiplash for neck and shoulder pains he claimed he suffered for up to 18 months following what a judge said were “minor injuries” sustained in a collision with a van.

During court proceedings last year in which he was awarded €2,500 in damages, the court was shown photos of Mr Farrell at the top of a ladder with an election poster four months after the accident.

Michelle Mulherin, a former TD for Mayo, paid €3,295 to the Oireachtas in 2015 after it emerged she had made a large number of calls to Kenya from her Dáil office

Not surprised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

It seems that the refunded amounts only seem to be a small percentage of the overall spend (2.6%) and were based on accounting inaccuracies (claiming outside the period).

Anyway - good that we have a bit of transparency in the system and that mistakes like this are rectified.

Also the poster who suggested a system where you justify the spend first, then are given the money is totally impractical. It would cost far more to administer a system like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Maria and Alan involved in fraud again, colour me shocked.
    Michelle ran up a large phone bill again?

I presume these figures are all on top of the €20,355 per year that TDs can (and do) claim with no receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

The bottom line is most Irish people feign outrage and ultimately accept this type of corruption.

In fact most would be horrified if the likes of Bailey were arrested, charged, brought to trial and imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Jaysus Ronan Mullins was clean...the ones who filed fraudulent claims should feel even worse

In fact most would be horrified if the likes of Bailey were arrested, charged, brought to trial and imprisoned.

Speaking for myself I would be quite happy to see a TD no matter what political ideology they have spend time locked up for this type of behaviour and banned from ever holding public office again. One can only dream I guess....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Maria Bailey making an illegitimate claim !!! Well I never. Humanity has been crossed...again.;)

Quelle surprise, the cream rises to the top. Michelle Mulherin, an unqualified senator with a dubious track record caught out once again. And Maria Bailey never falters in her entitlement quest.

Petty chancers, not one iota of contrition.

It seems that the refunded amounts only seem to be a small percentage of the overall spend (2.6%) and were based on accounting inaccuracies (claiming outside the period).

Anyway - good that we have a bit of transparency in the system and that mistakes like this are rectified.

Also the poster who suggested a system where you justify the spend first, then are given the money is totally impractical. It would cost far more to administer a system like that.

An early 'nothing to see here' from m'lud.

Here's how it works..

A: I want money.
    B: Why?
    A: Here's why.
    B:Okay.
    A: Here's an invoice.
    B: Thanks.

Or

A: I spent money and I want it back.
    B: Why?
    A: Here's why.
    B: Okay.
    A: Here's an invoice.
    B: Cula bula

Terrible complex I know but oddly very common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

When's she appearing on Seán o Rourke to defend herself?

I can give here a couple of quality lines she could use in her defence -
    "Seán, I am not doing trial by media over the airwaves here"
    "I have done nothing wrong here. Seán…"
    "Seán, I am a citizen of this State too"
    "Humanity has been re-crossed"
    "Humilty has been crossed out"
    "Seán, Seán, Seán"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Maria Bailey is a crook. The only reason her transgressions have been relatively minor is that her power of influence is relatively minor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The obvious shortcoming of this auditing system is that TDs and Senators only need to account for the most recent audit period of a year so with about 10% likelihood of being caught in a given year many will be willing to chance it. So clearly it should be like a revenue tax audit where up to 6 years of paperwork can be checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

In fairness like, with all the negative press recently with Bailey and Madigan basically trying to shake down a Dublin business for a handy twenty k, and that story reminding the public or Farrell's claim.....

The odds on them two (along with the phantom dialler to Africa just for added effect) being "randomly selected" for an audit must be astofcukingnomical. :D

In fairness like, with all the negative press recently with Bailey and Madigan basically trying to shake down a Dublin business for a handy twenty k, and that story reminding the public or Farrell's claim.....

The odds on them two (along with the phantom dialler to Africa just for added effect) being "randomly selected" for an audit must be astofcukingnomical. :D

I suspect all 3 will be private citizens after the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Journal have a direct line to Lynn Ruane, did they not ask for a comment?

I'm sure she will be clearing it up during her near weekly column

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

How do you even rack up 4k in expenses that you can't account for? In the private sector, 250 quid in expenses you can't account for is taking the p*as, but four fcucking grand? How?? Do you expense absolutely everything?

Little surprise to see Maria and Alan top of the pops again and FG all in all accounting for 8k of the 10k headline figure.

They would be arrested in most other countries or at the very least removed from office.

Advertisement