Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History videos and photos

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sakdolan

Brilliant thread. Thanks so much to everyone who has posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

Another excellent series of 15 minute programmes currently running on BBC Radio 4.
    In the year of Scotland's independence referendum, Linda Colley examines the forces that have united and divided Britain [and Ireland] over many centuries

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pn0vv

There is an episode dedicated to Ireland, and much on Ireland throughout the other programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

These pictures and paintings might interest some people! :)
    Caption underneath: Mill worker, Jerpoint, County Kilkenny.
    *Note the size of the sack, packed with grain, that this man would be used to lifting.* c.1860.

1053210_621254604564871_1253817311_o.jpg

c.1890 - Relief works, County Galway. Road and wall building could provide some employment in hard times.
    976528_621250264565305_489499659_o.jpg

Love this painting the most because my father is from Connemara :)
    Connemara Girl (1865) painting by the Irish artist Augustus Nicholas Burke.

1457728_687834241240240_1573641968_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

02_3-8.jpg?w=738

One from here Link

Interesting photos of the rallies particularly the numbers in attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Rostellan Forest Cork
    Megalithic tomb
    W 882 672

This seaweed-draped tomb is both curious and bleak, situated 10 metres below high-tide level on the S side of a narrow creek opening into Cork Harbour some 8 km E of Cobh. Though two metres high, it does not look at all like a portal-tomb, but is more likely to be the remains of a megalithic kist. The orthostats are slotted into the limestone pavement it stands on. My colleague Tom Four Winds visited it in 2007 and reported: "A moderate-sized capstone is held aloft by just two orthostats. Between these, at the west end, there is another stone forming the chamber. This looks as if it was the back stone and not the doorstone.
    The uprights are 2 metres tall, about 1.5 metres wide, and they stand 1.5 metres apart. The high tide reaches at least halfway up these, so coming at high tide probably isn't a good idea. Beneath the exposed seaweed around the tomb's base I stumbled (literally) upon another large flagstone. This, presumably, was once part of the tomb.
    To the west of the monument there are several large boulders that have been beautifully eroded by the ebb and flow of the tide. At the water's edge there seems to be an old quarry, which could be where the stones for the tomb were taken from."

00:00 to 01:20

ROSTELLAN_MEGALITHIC_STRUCTURE_2_COUNTY_CORK_IMAGE_2010_Pip_Powell_Large_-615x450.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RalphLee

No matter what Indians are the best,They have such great amount of history and cultural heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

RalphLee wrote: »
    No matter what Indians are the best,They have such great amount of history and cultural heritage.

Indian Indians or American Indians, or both?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

6454020_orig.jpg

A photograph I found lately that I quite like - A photograph of my old secondary school (St. Peter's College Wexford) in 1916.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

6454020_orig.jpg

A photograph I found lately that I quite like - A photograph of my old secondary school (St. Peter's College Wexford) in 1916.

I like the caps. You could not wear one today or some gimp would be crying like a child , wanting to wear it, or just try and take it off ya.

Go into a night club, like one's tie, some silly woman would want to wear it and loose it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

De Valera's Jailbreak, Labour at Berne and the Monaghan Soviet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Halifax 1902 stabilised video. Amazing footage.
    Many of the kids in the film were likely drafted in WW1...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Local Elections and the Shooting of Tomás MacCurtain | Jan - Apr 1920 - Episode 22

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

This is a retrospective video by an Australian officer describing an action during the Vietnam war.

Battle of Long Tan :

Manach wrote: »
    A free online course provider, EDX : A number of history courses present - trying the Greek Heroes one.

I also recommend the Arabic-Islamic history one. Absolutely fascinating, I learned a lot during Covid. And all for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

A 1912 UVF & 36th Ulster Division volunteer on WW1 and some wise words on the futility of war. Pitty Gusty Spence & Paisley didn't listen

Artur.PL wrote: »
    pre war Warsaw (1938)
    Warsaw that never will be back

Great footage.

I wonder is there an footage of Andalusia during thee 1936 Spanish revolution

The UVF bombing of O'Connell Street in December 1969

This was about the 10th bombing by the UVF of the 26 county state that year, about six months before the Provos bombing campaign began. Just a reminder it wasn't all one way traffic several bombs exploded in the south in 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 86, 87 & 94, the ones in 72, 73, 74 & 75 all being lethal.

Might be interesting to some people who like Irish Republican History or The Troubles, probably the first bombing carried out by the Provos, 2 February 1970 (they were formed 5 weeks earlier) at a British Army building on the Shankill Rd, a gelignite bomb thrown from a passing car, no injuries but a fair bit of damage done. The second part of the video is of a People's Democracy (PD) demonstration outside the Guildhall in Derry.

Also of some historical value to people interested in the Troubles, the IRA's first "economic" bombing blitz of Belfast City, occurred on 4 April 1970.

I Remember reading Brendan Hughes's account from "Beyond The Grave" by Ed Moloney that the logic behind the economic bombing in the city was to take the heat off the ghetto areas in Ardoyne, New Lodge, Markets, Ballymurphy etc... The clashes in early April 1970 in Belfast between the Army and the Nationalists were the worst since the Army arrived in August 1969. Billy McKee wanted to engage (shoot at) the British Army in Ballymurphy that night but was overruled by Gerry Adams who was the O/C of the Ballymurphy battalion & the bombing plan went ahead instead.

You can see from this quote by Freeland on the 3rd of April the day before the IRA bombs from the CAIN site how bad things were getting

"Friday 3 April 1970

As part of a new 'get tough' policy, Ian Freeland, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) the British Army, warned that those throwing petrol bombs could be shot dead if, after a warning, they did not stop using them. If arrested those using petrol bombs could face a sentence of 10 years in prison" - https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/othelem/chron/ch70.htm#Apr

So by bombing Unionist buildings in the city the IRA were forcing troops out of the ghettos & into the cities to protect economic targets, giving Nationalists a breather.

From British Pathe's report

"Background: A TIME BOMB DAMAGED AN ESTATE AGENT'S OFFICES AND SHATTERED DOZENS OF WINDOWS IN BELFAST'S LOWER DONEGAL STREET TODAY (SATURDAY, APRIL 4)

IT WAS THE THIRD EXPLOSION TO DAMAGE SHOPS IN BELFAST TODAY AND A FOURTH BOMB WAS FOUND BEFORE IT WENT OFF.

THESE WERE THE FIRST EXPLOSIONS TO DAMAGE SHOPS IN BELFAST IN SEVERAL MONTHS AND THEY CAME AFTER THE FIRST NIGHT FREE OF FIGHTING IN NEARLY A WEEK.

THE FIRST EXPLOSION BLEW A HOLE IN THE FRONT OF A FURNITURE SHOP OWNED BY BELFAST'S LORD MAYOR, ALDERMAN JOSEPH CAIRNS, IN SHANKILL ROAD, A PREDOMINANTLY PROTESTANT ARA. THE SECOND WRECKED A TAILOR'S SHOP IN ROYAL AVENUE, ONE OF THE MAIN SHOPPING AREAS OF THE CITY.

THE BOMB WHICH DAMAGED THE ESTATE AGENT'S IN DONEGAL STREET EXPLODED DURING THE MORNING RUSH HOUR. GIRLS RAN SCREAMING INTO THE STREET AS WINDOWS SHATTERED. FIVE PEOPLE WERE TAKEN TO HOSPITAL FOR TREATMENT FOR CUTS AND SHOCK, BUT WERE LATER RELEASED.

LATER AN UNEXPLODED BOMB WAS FOUND IN A WALLPAPER SHOP IN ROSEMARY STREET, NEAR THE ROYAL AVENUE SHOPPING CENTRE. ARMY BOMB DISPOSAL EXPERT WERE CALLED IN TO DISARM IT. THEY DESCRIBED IT AS A SMALL BOMB.

UNTIL THE EXPLOSIONS, TROUBLE HAD RARELY TOUCHED THE ROYAL AVENUE AND THE DONEGAL ROAD AREAS OF BELFAST.

MEANWHILE, THE BRITISH PEACEKEEPING TROOPS IN NORTHERN ICELAND, IN A GRIM MOOD AFTER FIVE NIGHTS OF FIGHTING IN THE CITY, HAVE BEEN MOVING IN RAPIDLY WITH SHIELDS, BATONS AND TEAR GAS AT THE FIXED SIGHT OF TROUBLE BETWEEN CATHOLICS AND PROTESTANTS."

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Hope its ok to copy this here. A poster just posted this in the Television forum.

RTE1 8pm tonight

Camera Tripod Bicycle

The story of fireman Lesley Crowe, who cycled around his native Dublin with his 8mm camera and tripod filming the city through decades of great change from the 1950s to the '70s.

I thought this extremely naive of the Irish delegates & TDs to look to the US & Woodrow Wilson for help in gaining an independent Republic. With the US being involved in a number of military interventions & Wilson proposing a "Global Monroe Doctrine".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Paddico

just bumping this up. Been a while since anything was posted here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Spancil Hill horse fair: 1981

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Thought I recognised Red there, great voice!

Advertisement