Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon 4K Fire Stick back down to £34.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Arrived yesterday. Can confirm items are new, and in original packaging without the OEM box.

482181.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

What vpn works best? I find PIA useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I’m using nord vpn I find it fine

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

torrevieja wrote: »
    I’m using nord vpn I find it fine

Same as me alright, no issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have a 1st generation. I have a glini router with a lifetime subscription to vpn unlimited which effectively creates a different WiFi network in house for UK streaming. I can use all the UK players with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

What vpn works best? I find PIA useless.

I use Express VPN. I watch US & UK with no hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Monokne wrote: »
    I use Express VPN. I watch US & UK with no hassles.

I use PURE VPN. They are especially good for BBC iplayer but it really only works in Standard definition. 'Best Quality' buffers intolerably...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I use PURE VPN. They are especially good for BBC iplayer but it really only works in Standard definition. 'Best Quality' buffers intolerably...

Then they are not especially good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

grogi wrote: »
    Then they are not especially good...

A lot of VPNs can't access BBC iPlayer at all or have IPs regularly blocked.

A lot of VPNs can't access BBC iPlayer at all or have IPs regularly blocked.

They are not particularly good either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭w4ntedman

As posted above VPN unlimited works very well I have found and is often on sale on stacksocial (maybe elsewhere too)
    https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription
    I got it about two years ago and haven't had any problems with it.
    It has easily paid for itself in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

unlocator works well for BBC iplayer

http://www.unlocator.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That VPN hasnt got the best reviews if you search it up. Slow, poor server choice and trouble with devices. I'd avoid and go for one of the mainstream ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭w4ntedman

RossieMan wrote: »
    That VPN hasnt got the best reviews if you search it up. Slow, poor server choice and trouble with devices. I'd avoid and go for one of the mainstream ones.

Fair enough wouldn't want to give anyone a bum steer. For my limited purposes (UK players, occasional subscription from abroad) it has worked well on all my devices and for $40 I am happy.
    Those with more knowledge or bigger requirements may need other services.
    To be honest I only went for it in the first place because it was cheap but so far no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

RossieMan wrote: »

I use it and in my experience for what it’s worth it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭gussieg

have had a geoblocked firestick for a couple of months and suddenly tonight its working ! maybe has something to do with being signed up to prime .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

From past experience might be better to invest in a decent android box( bought a few and wasted good money until I got an Nvidia shield)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

From past experience might be better to invest in a decent android box( bought a few and wasted good money until I got an Nvidia shield)

The firestick will do as good a job at streaming as the shiled will do, I've had cheap android boxes in the past, which ultimately end up being a bit of a disaster for various reasons.

I own a shiled, and it's flawless, but would be overkill for streaming purposes only.

Firestick is the sweetspot, it's an Amazon device , so you know the quality and after service you'll be getting, price wise it's perfect (I got mine on sale at €35) and if you have it set up correctly, and with s decent IPTV subscription - you've all the sports movies and television you could ever want in 7 lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

Smartdnsproxy works very well for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

billbond4 wrote: »
    Smartdnsproxy works very well for me

I also use this, using a separate Wifi network with the DNS settings for the VPN on it. For some reason, while the iPlayer works seamlessly on my phone, it's intermittent and unreliable on the Fire Stick. Any ideas? In theory should work exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭billbond4

loyatemu wrote: »
    I also use this, using a separate Wifi network with the DNS settings for the VPN on it. For some reason, while the iPlayer works seamlessly on my phone, it's intermittent and unreliable on the Fire Stick. Any ideas? In theory should work exactly the same.
    I haven't used the i player for a while but i noticed on my "smart" philips tv (none android) the iplayer works better than the iplayer app on the firestick
    Its probably amazon iplayer app being more geo location conscious than the app on the tv

Getflix never lets me down. Netflix doesn't work reliably though with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gillamandango

Anyones Stick randomly reboot and wipe itself recently, literally reset itself to factory settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Simi

billbond4 wrote: »
    I haven't used the i player for a while but i noticed on my "smart" philips tv (none android) the iplayer works better than the iplayer app on the firestick
    Its probably amazon iplayer app being more geo location conscious than the app on the tv

I find iPlayer is fairly hit or miss too, I'm using Getflix. A reboot of the stick usually sorts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have two stick, neither have ever done that .

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭delboy76

Anyones Stick randomly reboot and wipe itself recently, literally reset itself to factory settings?

Yes my standard firestick (2nd gen) has done this 3 times the last 6 months. Not sure if pressing remote buttons in some order factory resets the device. It is the only thing I can think of. It is a curse to have to set up the device again.

delboy76 wrote: »
    Yes my standard firestick (2nd gen) has done this 3 times the last 6 months. Not sure if pressing remote buttons in some order factory resets the device. It is the only thing I can think of. It is a curse to have to set up the device again.

If there is, it would be so complex you'd not replicate it randomly.

edit:

10 seconds press of back button. But it should ask for confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I was away last week I was going to use firsestick but didn't bother came back to use it tonight everything wiped off have to register again and download apps again this is a pain in the neck Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

torrevieja wrote: »
    I was away last week I was going to use firsestick but didn't bother came back to use it tonight everything wiped off have to register again and download apps again this is a pain in the neck Amazon

That happened to a lot of firesticks last week. .lots of complaints on another forum. Didn't see any reason

• Advertisement

That happened to a lot of firesticks last week. .lots of complaints on another forum. Didn't see any reason

It must be amazon rolling some update that corrupted the previous state of the stick. PITA

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement