Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your art/craftwork - show it here!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

New Home wrote: »
    Do you take orders and how much would you charge? :) I'd definitely buy one. :)
    Ah I used to years ago. The thing is, the wool alone for an adult sized jumper could be anything from 60 euro to twice that, depending on brand and whether it is in balls or hanks. Even charging a silly 2 euro an hour or so for work, the price of a jumper would be crazy.
    There are only really 3 stitches in knitting. Knit, purl and slip. Once you can do them, anyone can make an Aran sweater.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

My mother in law made them for kids when small but I gave them away later. I often wondered at how the pattern would read, looks fierce complex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Garlinge wrote: »
    My mother in law made them for kids when small but I gave them away later. I often wondered at how the pattern would read, looks fierce complex.

It's all about being able to use a cable needle. It's really not that difficult and some cables are easier than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SimoBurn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 SimoBurn

SimoBurn wrote: »

Apologies on that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Something for a friend, but I am not sure I'm quite happy with it, something missing... possibly a talent for painting :(

534231.jpg

Looks great and a very popular topic to paint - I have done a few of the Pigeon House as well over the years - always goes down well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I like that a lot!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Something for a friend, but I am not sure I'm quite happy with it, something missing... possibly a talent for painting :(

In fairness thats pretty good. I'd be delighted if I did that.

If you want to experiment. It wouldn't be better just different.
    My only suggestion is perhaps try a wider palette of colors, more contrast, or the other way go lighter, like watercolors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 woods1977

Do no Harm take no ****. All on www.facebook.com/artinwoods

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

beauf wrote: »
    In fairness thats pretty good. I'd be delighted if I did that.

If you want to experiment. It wouldn't be better just different.
    My only suggestion is perhaps try a wider palette of colors, more contrast, or the other way go lighter, like watercolors.

Yes, I know what you mean.
    I may dip back into it and work in the darks a bit more, to give more power to the brightness of other elements.
    I really must take a couple of classes one of these days!

I'm finding Instagram a great source of see other people artwork and techniques. I haven't done any art in decades. But looking at it there may actually encourage me to draw something badly like I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yes, I know what you mean.
    I may dip back into it and work in the darks a bit more, to give more power to the brightness of other elements.
    I really must take a couple of classes one of these days!

I've done a few classes. I'm not sure what I was expecting to get out of it but I don't think I got it :)

They varied from everyone doing their own thing to everyone painting the same thing. In each case the instructor would just walk around the room and leave you to it. They might make a suggestion or if you had a qs etc.

Most questions now are so easily answered by Google or youtube, I think it really comes down to trial and error/practice after that.

The advantages of a class as I saw it was you have your set painting time each week, so abit of a routine and your away from distractions. Also you get to meet other "students" and you can share tips and get inspiration etc.

There's plenty of good books too on each medium. Books that handle colour theory/dark and light etc. Book depository has an excellent range. Youtube is a great resource for tutorials.

In saying all that, I think your work is excellent :)

In saying all that, I think your work is excellent :)

Thanks for that, and everything else you said.
    I need to find a more impressionist approach, I love that, I must check out some tutorials and see what they can bring to my efforts.
    Depending on the source material it all happens with ease, but sometimes a painting just isn't working and, for all the effort I put in, it ends up abandoned or painted over.
    Still, every day is a school day...

T... but sometimes a painting just isn't working and, for all the effort I put in, it ends up abandoned or painted over.

I never really painted but isn't that true of all art, or creative activities. Some days you hit it out of the park, other not so much.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I wish I had your lack of talent!!!!!!

If you look at it from a phone, scrolling from the top of the picture down, the obly thing that doesn't seem to be "in synch" with the rest is the bit where the land touches the water - I'm not sure what it is or how to fix it, but perhaps it's a little "pale"? I don't know, it's pretty magnificent anyway! ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 26 woods1977

Upcycling art at its finest!

CHPz-wTHor7

New Home wrote: »
    I wish I had your lack of talent!!!!!!

If you look at it from a phone, scrolling from the top of the picture down, the obly thing that doesn't seem to be "in synch" with the rest is the bit where the land touches the water - I'm not sure what it is or how to fix it, but perhaps it's a little "pale"? I don't know, it's pretty magnificent anyway! ☺️

Hmm, I know what you mean...

It's easily fixed I think, I will have a crack at it this coming week.

I really must take myself off around Dublin some rainy evening and get some pictures, I'm running out of original material!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

Not sure where on boards to post this but this thread seems a nice fit!

A new fox design made from a single sheet of silver, any feedback appreciated - whether it be about the piece, or other forums which would be good for posting such items.

dwsOZ13l.jpg

• Advertisement

Other forums no. Least I don't know any. Do people post on Instagram? That's mainly where I see creative stuff these days.

Did this one for a pal of mine - suits this time of the year I think
    536086.jpg

Another triumph Wolff, just beautiful

This took far to long to finish!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    This took far to long to finish!

That's spectacular!

541200.jpg

That is very nice.

That's spectacular!

Thanks muchly!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

My son the prosthetic special effects make up artist, convinced his
    partner to sit for hours to have his latest creation applied. Poor girl,
    and this is the result of her patience:)

542365.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

....ehm.... I'm sure she has a great personality.... :D

Advertisement