Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Table saw for €300 or less

• 22-11-2020 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

i am in the market for a table saw and could stretch to €300, at a push.

Given that Black Friday is coming up, are there any out there that people would reccommend ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

rather than focus on the mula, whats the application?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm looking for something for hobby DIY. Nothing too fancy.

Adjustable blade, good fence and powerful enough for cutting ply sheets.

I am looking at this https://mtsdirect.ie/product/sip-10-table-saw/

Any thoughts ?

a dangerous toy as presented
    look on this site and u tube where guys have built a basic saw like this into a bench so as it can be used to cut sheets of ply SAFELY, or maybe just less dangerously :)
    ditch the legs and the side tables

also upgrade the blade to have more teeth if doing ply
    for ply consider a track saw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭boomdocker

^^^
    good advice there
    I have a fairly average Einhell saw - this one https://www.einhell.co.uk/shop/en-uk/tc-ts-2025-1-u.html

But lucky for me - I bought it second hand and the guy I bought it off did a fantastic job building it into a larger table on castors (also made a fence and crosscut sled) - so has transformed what is probably a very ordinary saw into something quite decent
    So I'd echo what the previous poster says and if you are going to buy a cheapish saw with a small table, build it into a bigger table
    +1 for the saw blades as well

As for sheets of ply - good and all as my setup is ( I could cut sheets of ply on it) much prefer to use the skil saw

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If plywood sheets is the criteria, a plunge saw is the tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭randombar

Looking to build my parkside into a workbench myself (old dining room table). Replace the fence of the parkside cause it's awful.

What is the norm for building it in?

Some t -track to the left and right? What about the fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,372 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vizzy wrote: »
    I'm looking for something for hobby DIY. Nothing too fancy.

Adjustable blade, good fence and powerful enough for cutting ply sheets.

I am looking at this https://mtsdirect.ie/product/sip-10-table-saw/

Any thoughts ?

Plysheets ripping - always a tracksaw, Use one with a sheet of 8x4 insulation underneath it and you wont go wrong ever.

Repeatable smaller pieces e.g sheets 500mmx500mm that need to be cut down yes probably a table saw is best. But they are the worse thing in the world for someone solo, with limited space due to size of the sheets, maneuverability,effort and danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Looking to build my parkside into a workbench myself (old dining room table). Replace the fence of the parkside cause it's awful.

I don't think you'd really need the t-track assuming that it's a saw that has mitre slots already. Although you will want to route outfeed slots in line with the mitre slots into the top of your bench if you need to allow sled / mitre gauge travel beyond the end of the cut. A large cross cut sled or panel sled are the two big use cases there.

Well the t-track is moreso for the rest of the table (chop saw down one side, could use the same t-track for a measuring block.

I'm thinking of a large sheet of ply cutting down to 1m strips. (obviously a tracksaw is better for that but $$$$)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Well the t-track is moreso for the rest of the table (chop saw down one side, could use the same t-track for a measuring block.

I'm thinking of a large sheet of ply cutting down to 1m strips. (obviously a tracksaw is better for that but $$$$)

Check out Peter Millard on YouTube he does a comparison of festool and cheap tracksaw, you might be able to get a screw fix one for around your budget with the track, although it would mean using screw fix unfortunately!

• Advertisement

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Check out Peter Millard on YouTube he does a comparison of festool and cheap tracksaw, you might be able to get a screw fix one for around your budget with the track, although it would mean using screw fix unfortunately!

IIRC the main differences are around dust collection, functionality, tool safety and the quality of the build.
    The dust collection when working with mdf is critical

IIRC the main differences are around dust collection, functionality, tool safety and the quality of the build.
    The dust collection when working with mdf is critical

Yes, but most “cheap” tablesaws will be worse, also why not wear a face mask until you have a decent extractor.

The differences around build quality etc. Are pretty obvious as they’re not even in adjacent ball parks price wise.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Yes, but most “cheap” tablesaws will be worse, also why not wear a face mask until you have a decent extractor.

The differences around build quality etc. Are pretty obvious as they’re not even in adjacent ball parks price wise.

I should add that if I’m ever in the market for a tracksaw I’ll be buying festool, and if I couldn’t afford one, I’d either wait or not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I bought a parkside also as my first saw and the fence is beyond awful. I don't know how they can sell these with a fence that cannot keep straight. I ended up just using a long piece of wood clamped to keep my cuts straight. But I will probably make one and drill it into the existing fence with a right-angled stop at the end to kee it straight.

I bought a parkside also as my first saw and the fence is beyond awful. I don't know how they can sell these with a fence that cannot keep straight. I ended up just using a long piece of wood clamped to keep my cuts straight. But I will probably make one and drill it into the existing fence with a right-angled stop at the end to kee it straight.

Looking at this one at the moment.

https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/rip-fence-upgrade-for-w619-w619psf/category_pathway-224

Are there other alternatives?

Advertisement