Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendation on Medieval history

• 25-08-2020 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all

Looking for recommendations for a one volume book on Medieval European history whether Irish, English or Western European centred.

I'm looking to train as a teacher and I'd like to develop a better overall knowledge of the period as I've realised it's pretty poor.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I listen to a lot of audio books and here are some good listens about the general Medieval Period.
    Great Courses, The Medieval World by Dorsey Armstrong
    The History of the Medieval World by Susan Bauer

Non-audio books and more specific topics.
    Academic gossip - Middle Rages by Milo Yiannopolous
    Byzantine - Sailing from Byzantine by Colin Wells
    War - Summer of Blood by Dan Jones
    Monarchy - The Plantagenets by Dan Jones
    Church - God’s Philosphers by James Hannam

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sparkydevine

Thanks Manach that's a great help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ian Mortimer - Time traveller's guide to medieval Britain.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be interested in any Irish-specific works. I've read a fair bit of English history and can give recommendations if you have anything specific in mind. The Norman Conquest by Marc Morris might be a good starting point.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement